Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say you've gotten a brand new semi-auto pistol for Christmas and run 300rds through it for break-in. This is going to be your personal CCW sidearm and you want to carry high quality ammo in it; the kind that costs $15.00+ per box of 20. Now, how much of this expensive ammo do you shoot to satisfy yourself that the gun will function flawlessly with the new ammo.

Thanks

RIKA

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I feel that 1000 would be an ideal, but that is not very cost effective. If 1000 can't be reached, 500 is a good number. 250 would satisfy me plenty; but 500 would be the good number.

Then we get to how much $ a life is worth to the user.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
500rds = 25 (20rd) boxes x $15.00 = $375.00. It could be done but thats a helluva cash outlay. Other thoughts?

RIKA

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
RIKA said:
500rds = 25 (20rd) boxes x $15.00 = $375.00. It could be done but thats a helluva a cash outlay. Other thoughts?

RIKA
indeed it is definitely a a lot. shoot what makes you satisfied and confident, that's really the bottom line. 500 if there is a kink you would most likely know, if you go blast 150-250 and feel like your weapon is good enough, that should suffice.

if you really can't put down the funds, and that's understandable ammo is not cheap, but you feel number x satisfies you, do some jam and short slide drills with fmj; that should prepare you to make that quick reaction if needed.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
IF you are going to CCW the weapon, how much is your life worth?

500 doesn't have to be all at once. 25 boxes could literally mean 25 pay checks, or it could mean 10 pay checks.

It's a subjective thing, though I think you need to put at least a couple hundred rounds through AFTER the break-in, but that's me.

There are way more knowledgeable pistoleros on this site than me - let's see what they have to say.

:devil:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I'm asking this is because there seems to be so many different views in regards to amount. Some as few as 50 and some as high as 500-1000.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I think you have to regularly shoot your CCW weapon. I think the 50 rnd figure is way too low

I also don't subscribe to the buy two of that model gun and shoot one and carry the other. (if you buy two, it's either to shoot both, or to keep one as a spare)

I think you shoot the gun you carry and you shoot it regularly. Besides, it's important to develop muscle memory with your CCW gun.

You do proper maintenance on it, etc.

:devil:

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
My rule of thumb is 200 of that particular ammo for pistols; rifles haven’t been as finicky in my experience.

If I can’t afford 200 rounds of “_________”, I need to either re-define ‘expensive’, or else just suck it up & do it.

I went thru this with my pocket P32. Two hundred & twenty rounds of Cor-bons (ten boxes for testing, one for carrying) was over $150 with shipping, or right at 70 cents per round; that kind of hurts to do, especilally in a $250 gun, but that’s my rule for myself. YMMV.

Same with the Winchester 9mm+P+, but for whatever reason, it’s actually cheaper than the Corbon .32acp; go figure.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'd get high quality ammo that resembles the profile of my practice ammo as much as possible. If the HPs are a little lower on the stopping charts than the other types of profiles, so be it.

The bottom lines, IMO are: carry ONLY a weapon and ammunition that you are willing to bet your life on. If you subscribe to the theory that you need to shoot $1,000 worth of ammo before you are willing to make that bet, then bust out the pocketbook. If I were that concerned, I'd just carry FMJ, because I certainly can't afford to shoot a bunch of high quality ammo.

I bought 5 boxes of Golden Sabers (didn't have gold dots at the time) for my P7. I shot 4 of them and the rest FMJs. The other box is what I use for CCW.

If I were 100% certain that my pistol would work every time... and that the ammunition would work every time... I guess there wouldn't be a point in practicing tap/rack/bang or rip/rack/bangs then, huh?

I remember reading a post by a moderator on The Firing Line... Tamara, great lady. She works part time at a gun shop and CCWs a 1911... Springfield Operator, I think it was. One guy came into her shop with his son and he was looking at Glocks. He asked her "Can you guarantee that this gun will work every time?"

Her answer was "Sir, I can't even guarantee the pistol on my hip will work every time."

I think that says a lot. The bottom line is that you simply have to work with what you can afford. If you are really worried about the functioning of your ammo, at least you can always rely on FMJ, which is a lot better than just a folding knife, which is all I carry on the weekdays.

Even if I had a pistol built by JMB himself and match grade ammunition loaded by Marines at the precision weapons factory, I'd STILL practice malfunction clearance drills...

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
How about seeing how much it would cost to buy the bullets and reload them to spec?

David DiFabio (the Ammolab guy) recommends putting 500 of your carry ammo through the gun, and then shooting the ammo you've got in your CCW rig every few months or so...otherwise the shit gets green and you wind up rechambering the same rounds over and over again if you're using a semiauto and you're dryfiring.

And we're all dryfiring regularly, aren't we? :nyah:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Or.........you could just buy a revolver, sight it in, shoot when you want and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Sounds great! Always go for the minimum standards of performance and you'll never be disappointed in yourself or your gear! I'm selling my Sparks and Rosen gear in favor of a good ("good"= on sale) belt from Wally World and a Fobus holster, pronto!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I may get beat up real bad for saying this, but with all the high quality ammo out there, at good prices, and the quality of pistols nowdays, putting 500 rounds of specialty ammo thru a pistol after initial breakin seems a little much. IMO HOW you shoot is much more important than WHAT you shoot. There is no magic bullet, and marksmanship is much more important to me than the latest high tech, whiz bang ammo. I would not use hardball for carry, but there are some very effective rounds out there that will not break the bank. I carry federal 9bp in my glock, and black hills 185 gr. hp in my kimber, and feel confident that most social problems can be solved effectively with both. They are reliable, effective, and about half the price of corbon. For the price of 500 rds. of cor-bon, I could buy a sp101 .357 as backup.(and have) Just my HO.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
My drill for "carry" guns is two hundred rounds of FMJ for break in, then one hundred rounds of defensive ammunition. If no problems, I feel good to go. On carry guns I rotate magazines when I pay my monthly bills by firing the magazines and then re-loading the spares with new ammunition. I'm not fancy. Hydra-Shocks or Golden Saber in 9mm, Golden Saber in .45. Makarov's are Silver Bear 115 Grain HP's. FMJ's are Winchester White Box in 9MM and .45 ACP and Wolf in 9X18mm. 1,000 rounds before you feel comfortable with a gun? You shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is becoming a terriffic and thought provoking thread. More, please!

RIKA :)

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Terry G said:
My drill for "carry" guns is two hundred rounds of FMJ for break in, then one hundred rounds of defensive ammunition. If no problems, I feel good to go. On carry guns I rotate magazines when I pay my monthly bills by firing the magazines and then re-loading the spares with new ammunition. I'm not fancy. Hydra-Shocks or Golden Saber in 9mm, Golden Saber in .45. Makarov's are Silver Bear 115 Grain HP's. FMJ's are Winchester White Box in 9MM and .45 ACP and Wolf in 9X18mm. 1,000 rounds before you feel comfortable with a gun? You shouldn't have bought it in the first place.
For bottom-feeders, I do exactly that, 200 rounds of FMJ, and 100 rounds, consecutive, no cleaning, of what I intend to carry. I carry Hydra-Shoks or Gold Dots, don't care which. Carry ammo in the magazines gets shot out every 3 months, buying twice what I shoot up.

Flinter said:
Or.........you could just buy a revolver, sight it in, shoot when you want and be done with it.
I really do have to agree with this one. I'm down to two bottomfeeders, both my Ruger P-90s, neither of which have failed even once, under any circumstances. All of my other handguns are revolvers of one sort or another. 90% of the time I carry revolvers, keeping the P-90s as house guns.
In revolvers, I buy 100 rounds of carry ammo and shoot 60 rounds to make sure it's sighted in properly and familiarize. Again Hydra-Shoks or Gold Dots, don't care which.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Murphy's law will always occur at the worst time. No matter HOW many rounds you fire in your auto, you can never(YES NEVER) completely trust it to go bang every time. There is always the possibility of a dud round, even with the very best quality ammo. And if it does'nt go bang, it takes TWO hands (and precious time)to complete any clearance drill. Autos will also malfunction for many other reasons than ammo. If you carry for protection, you may be in a fight-(a real fight, not a magazine fight,) and be underneath a two hundred pound crack addict. You draw your trusty auto, pull the trigger, hear a muffled report, and your auto jams because the slide fouled in your/his clothes. Now what? Thats where you should grab that backup REVOLVER and pull the trigger fast and often. A revolver is much less likely to jam with a contact shot, and no worry about a dud--just pull the trigger again.IMO, anyone who carries an auto concealed should carry a small revolver for backup-very cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Wylycoyte said:
Sounds great! Always go for the minimum standards of performance and you'll never be disappointed in yourself or your gear!
Directed at my comment?

Revolvers have worked for a very long time. The last FBI statistic I saw said something like 1.5 rounds per self defense encounter, average range was touching distance. That's what makes it self defense. I don't see where that makes a revolver the "minimum standard of performance".

I imagine shooting someone is a very stressful situation. I don't want to have to think about safeties, proper grip, or wonder if my pistola is properly lubed. I want something I can put in my coat pocket and shoot the S.O.B. without ever pulling my hand out.

It may be as high tech as a rubber band, but sometimes all you need is a rubber band.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I agree with a lot of that too. I agree with much of what everyone has said. I think the bottom line... much like in home defense... is a layered system. What is the primary, secondary and tertiary level? Awareness, location choice, landscape decisions, electronic motion sensing devices and alarms, communication, projectile weapons, hand held weapons and then meat.

A lot of those we don't get to take with us when we leave the cave.

The real bottom line is that... well, it's an individual level of comfort. Some people are aware and choose to be in a location where they feel they don't need to rely on anything else. Not I. Some people, for some reason, get stuck in the Tackleberry from Police Academy mindset... layer upon layer until you find a tiny, but hard core.

I'd 783,432,034,024,924,024.9999995% rather have a backup firearm than spending the same amount of money on premium ammunition (that can "go bad"... kinda like having to change rubberbands in a handgun). People all over the world get wiped out on FMJs... so to me, at least, there is a point of diminishing returns.

The mindset is such a big part of the equation... I mean, it's almost like be arguing the benefits of S30V steel when people all over the world have been killed by POS machetes and kitchen knives.

Would I opt for the best metal (blades n bullets) every time? Heck yeah. Can I (we) really afford it? Guess not. I haven't changed my carry ammo for probably a year. Always got the blade within reach and knock the heavy bag routinely, though.

I guess it's like everything else in life... it's all about what you are comfortable with...

/ramble
cheers

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Flinter said:
Directed at my comment?

Revolvers have worked for a very long time. The last FBI statistic I saw said something like 1.5 rounds per self defense encounter, average range was touching distance. That's what makes it self defense. I don't see where that makes a revolver the "minimum standard of performance".

I imagine shooting someone is a very stressful situation. I don't want to have to think about safeties, proper grip, or wonder if my pistola is properly lubed. I want something I can put in my coat pocket and shoot the S.O.B. without ever pulling my hand out.

It may be as high tech as a rubber band, but sometimes all you need is a rubber band.

Yes, and there was an incident reported by Tom Givens not long ago where a student of his fired 8 rounds in defense of his person. Lies, damned lies and statistics strike again.

And frankly, you'd better worry about proper grip with a revolver as well. At 15 feet, having a grip too low on a snubby puts rounds about 2-3 feet low if you're pointshooting. That little problem never showed up at the range, but it showed up after sprinting 100 yards up to the target and doing a quick grip & rip.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts