Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
At this point, I am of the opinion that we aren't dealing with a troll, but someone who has a strong opinion. Which I welcome. Debate isn't debate without opposing views.
Plus, I don't see the views here as totally opposing.

I like discussion that makes me think, or clarify my position.

The fact that no one has resorted to calling anyone a "lame", a "stupe", or a "POS" is refreshing.

I may differ in my opinions from what Rabbi (or anyone else) thinks, but that's cool, as long as we stay civil.

If Rabbi is Golgo13, then they've cleaned up their act.

:devil:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I hope that I am wrong.

RIKA

·
Registered
116 Posts
John in AR said:
I expect that’s true; iirc, the average was something like 2.3 or 2.6 rounds or such. The issue to me, is admitting that none of us truly live by the odds; if we did, we wouldn’t carry a defensive gun, a fire extinguisher, or a spare tire for our car.

One of my favorite expressions (and one that perpetually drives my wife crazy) is; “It’s not about the odds; it’s about the stakes”. Odds are hugely against me needing a gun this week, and even more hugely against needing it this specific day, but I’m still going to carry every day.

If you own a smoke detector, you’ve admitted (at least subconsciously) that the odds aren’t the most important consideration. Just because the average is 2-point-something rounds, it would be silly of you to carry only three rounds in your 5-shot gun; yet that’s what “the odds” dictate.

Once it’s acknowledged that “the odds” aren’t what we live by, the choice of “how much beyond the odds” we plan for is just a matter of personal comfort level. Sometimes it’s just personality-based choice, sometimes it’s situation-based. (i.e., I carry more ammo on duty than I do in church.)

My personal opinion is that it’s a whole lot more dangerous to have two shots too few, than two shots too many, and since there’s no way to actually know what may be needed, I’d rather “err on the side of caution” as it were.

Put as a “cost/benefit” consideration, the “cost” of carrying an extra magazine or speedloader is basically zero, just as carrying the gun itself costs zero. The benefit of carrying extra ammo may be zero, but it also may be immense. So with zero cost, and potential benefit, why not do it?

Carrying a ton of extra ammo would carry a ‘cost’ with it, but it’s the same ‘cost’ you’d face by trying to ccw a Desert Eagle or such; not the fault of the equipment, just hard-to-live-with choices on the part of the user.

You make good points. Odds are also a subjective thing. In the odds I outlined about being involved in a shooting, that is just generally speaking. If someone is a professional drug dealer his odds of being involved increase enormously. If someone is an Orthodox Jew in a safe suburban neighborhood who seldom goes out at night then the odds drop dramatically.
I remember some Nashville Metro cop who had an odds calculator based on life style questions.
Also, when you are facing a threat, no gun is big enough or has enough bullets. When you arent, no gun is light enough or small enough to bother carrying. Its just a tendency.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Wylycoyte said:
I'm buttery smooth in all the right ways, baby!

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/cz.html
MAN!!!,BRO, i was typing in ALL THE PERTINENT INFO fer [4] [15] rounders
@ $130 when they KEPT-CHEESIN' on me wanting the 'back-three' numbers on the plastic![when i FIRED 'big-naturals' i had to close that ACCOUNT-OUT]

UNCLE BRASS AIN'T PLAYIN'!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Lets say you've gotten a brand new semi-auto pistol for Christmas and run 300rds through it for break-in. This is going to be your personal CCW sidearm and you want to carry high quality ammo in it; the kind that costs $15.00+ per box of 20. Now, how much of this expensive ammo do you shoot to satisfy yourself that the gun will function flawlessly with the new ammo.

Thanks

RIKA
(new reply to old post)

The snide answer is "How much is your life worth?"

I run at least 500 rounds through any new carry weapon. then I will run several hundred more practicing with it. somewhere around the 900 - 1000 round mark I'm satisfied with it. if the ammo is expensive and cost is an issue, I'd run 200-300 rounds of cheap plinking ammo to "break it in", then I'd run about the same in my defensive ammo, and repeat the cycle. I'd note any issues with stoppages, etc and log which ammo was the problem.

You're really trying to do two things, ascertain the function of the pistol in general, and verify it likes your defensive ammo.

I still think the magic number is somewhere in the vicinity of 1K rounds. A lot of people are happy at the 500 round mark.

as in all things, YMMV

61 - 65 of 65 Posts