Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmm? How long is hunting season, and once you take an animal, that's IT. In many areas of the country, a 223 is quite capable of taking deer at the sort of ranges that are normally seen. So the only real use of 308 is deer beyond 150m. 308's a bit light for elk at longer ranges, and it's DEFINITELY light for the great bears. It's also a bit slow and feeble for pronghorn, and mountain game. It's pretty richochet prone and expensive and dangerou to be using on crows, prairie dogs, and the like. It has no .22 unit, for use on small game. It's a loser for combat rifle matches, even when Cooper put that bs "minor caliber" handicap on the 223, it STILL beats the 308, inside 300m, practically every time, and USUALLY does so to 1/4 mile, too. How many have a place to set up combat rifle matches at longer ranges, hmm? So all a 308 is is a waste of time and money. You can hunt the big stuff with a $50 Nagant. If you expect to engage deer beyond 200m, or big stuff beyond 300m,(or "snipe" with a silly bolt action) you need to scope it, whoopee, another $100(mount,rings, used Leupold scope That's a LONG ways from the 1--2k that the ignorant drop on fancy 308's. :)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Wow, are you jealous or what?

You can't shoot, you don't have any money, you don't know how to handle strong women, and you have an inferiority complex that would make Napoleon look normal. Sheesh.

Mike

·
Registered
779 Posts
Again he's try to put off his inadeqacies off on everyone else.:rolleyes:

Can't handle recoil, noise and muzzle blast so noone else can. Pretty pathetic for a grown man.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
223 fan said:
hmm? How long is hunting season, and once you take an animal, that's IT. In many areas of the country, a 223 is quite capable of taking deer at the sort of ranges that are normally seen. So the only real use of 308 is deer beyond 150m. 308's a bit light for elk at longer ranges, and it's DEFINITELY light for the great bears. It's also a bit slow and feeble for pronghorn, and mountain game. It's pretty richochet prone and expensive and dangerou to be using on crows, prairie dogs, and the like. It has no .22 unit, for use on small game. It's a loser for combat rifle matches, even when Cooper put that bs "minor caliber" handicap on the 223, it STILL beats the 308, inside 300m, practically every time, and USUALLY does so to 1/4 mile, too. How many have a place to set up combat rifle matches at longer ranges, hmm? So all a 308 is is a waste of time and money. You can hunt the big stuff with a $50 Nagant. If you expect to engage deer beyond 200m, or big stuff beyond 300m,(or "snipe" with a silly bolt action) you need to scope it, whoopee, another $100(mount,rings, used Leupold scope That's a LONG ways from the 1--2k that the ignorant drop on fancy 308's. :)
You don't know crap about hunting. A .308 is feeble and light for pronghorn? A pronghorn is basically a big goat (I have one on my wall, that I harvested. I'm speaking first hand experience, not some fantasy made up bs like what you spout.)

Elk? a bunch of elk are taken with .308's every year.

You should stick to topics you actually know something about. (of course then you'd be unable to make any posts..)

:devil:

·
Registered
779 Posts
I should also add that if I could I'd eat .308 rounds with Hoppe's #9 poured over them for breakfast instead of cornflakes and milk.:devil:

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Where I work I see an average of 50-70 pronehorns a day, generally at 50-75 yds. I could probably get them with a .357 magnum! I'm sure that if I required a rifle for some sort of post apocolyptic " adventure " I'd chose one that is far more suited for use 365 days a year under the conditions that are found in my geographical enviornment. I can see having a .223 for hunting but, after a while I figure that I will get bored with eating gophers!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I like how a .308 can't be used because it's close enough for a .223!

The pretzel logic employed is amazing!

:devil:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I like the .223, but to deride the .308 as 'worthless' is silly. It's a potent and extremely accurate round. It's good for just about any big game in N. America.

People do underestimate the .223 in favor of the .308, but here we have just the opposite going on.

The .308's main disadvantage is that it's heavier and it has more recoil, making it harder for smaller statured people to use it.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
mrostov said:
The .308's main disadvantage is that it's heavier and it has more recoil, making it harder for smaller statured people to use it.

Which is where the additional weight of the FAL/M1A over the AR is an advantage. The .308 really doesn't recoil much though. I've never seen anyone that was actually too small to control it well EXCEPT in full-auto, which is just wasting ammo SHTF.

Edited to add: To answer the original question, I have use for it all year round. If deer and whatnot aren't in season, hogs are not considered games animals, and as such can be taken anytime, year round. Not to mention I've written permission from some of the local farmers to hunt on their nuisance permits, so if some deer is on their land, I can hunt them year round also.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Somehow, the argument is - if the .223 can do it, then the .308 can't. Which is pure drivel.

The .223 is a good round.

The .308 is a good round.

I can use the .308 365 days a year hunting. Coyotes are open year round, as are most varmints. If I'm not hunting deer, elk, bears, antelope - depending on draw results, I can be hunting coyotes.

But, I tend to favor the .223 and the .280 when I'm coyote hunting. Once in a while I'll use my .338 to keep up hitting moving targets with it.

So, why can't I use my .308 year round?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Not to mention that unless you're a convict who's breaking the law even owning a gun, the .223 is illegal to hunt with in a lot of places. So unless you want your rights taken away if caught, there's more times you CAN'T use a .223 when you CAN use a .308.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts