Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

How much range time in 2004?

3K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Terry G 
#1 ·
I just added up my range book totals for last year;

I spent 69 days on the range included in that time I shot 3x 2 day Cowboy Action Matches, 2x 3 Gun Matches, 2x Action Pistol Match, 1x 2 Gun(Pistol/Shotgun). Does anyone else keep a range book or am I just being anal. How about you gunkid, how much trigger time did you get last year??

#2 ·
My friend probably got in about 60 hours in 2004. Not a lot, but he doesn't need a lot, given the high levels of skill that he retains from long ago,the body-armor, the sneakiness, the cans, the dryfiring, wax-practice, the seriousness with which he approaches the job, the lack of distraction (from DA's, manually operated guns, etc. :)

#3 ·
Andy, your friend is full of lies and delusion.

I don't keep a range book but would estimate around 50 - 55 days last year. Not full days, usually 5 - 6hr days and not all shooting (a lot of visiting).

RIKA

#4 ·
I have o hours for 2004;I'm still awaiting my Ch150 response here in Massachusetts.Up to 1999,I was good for 2.5-5 hours weeklyin the warm weather;winter months,2 a week at the indoor ranges with .22's,&sub-1000 fps cast loadsfrom the revolvers and my old P90.Yeah,I know it was an un-ergonomic Ruger,but it shot better than I could with the original grips,and I did better with the Hogue's added on.

#5 ·
I started going to the range the second week of July.I went 2x/wk for an hour+ each time.I missed a couple times right before Christmas.Ammo vs.presents for Mom.

She won.:)

Am back on track now.

There is a 400yd rifle range about an hour south of here.If I'm still around when the snow melts I might start wandering some of these mil-surps down for a more telling test.

#6 ·
Boy more this year than in the past 20yrs, since I've moved out into the country and can shoot out the back door. At least a full day every other weekend during the summer and probably 2 or 3 hrs every other week during the winter.
Andy's friend is so good we know he doesn't need to practice.

#7 ·
Who knows. Dont really keep a log, I'd have to find out how many .22s, .30-30s and .410s I went through to get any kind of Idea. BTW, I found an old box of BB caps in my dads storage locker. Are these still available? Normally I only shoot LR but these things are just too much fun.

#11 ·
So gunkid, what firearms did you shoot?

#12 ·
the day I hit the halfway house, I had no trouble tossing up a can, making a concealed belt draw and hitting it in the air. Missed a few at first, then it came right back. First try, beat the waist high coin drop to weaver, IWB, open wear, in front of hip.

#13 ·
So what have you been shooting this year, AR? SKS? .45? etc.

#14 ·
NUTTY JOHN is full of Bull Squeeze

I call that Bull Squeeze, NUTTY JOHN ... Plain unadulterated BULL SQUEEZE ...

#15 ·
This past year was one of the worst for me in many years as far as getting to shoot went. This is because back in Aigust 2003 my collateral work duties as a Firearms Instructor were interupted indefinitely due to my current job assignment. This has continued since then, meaning that I am no longer going to the range anywhere nearly as often as I had been. Back then I was going to the range 4 days per week for 5 to 6 weeks, each quarter of the year. That equates to about 80 to 96 days during which I got to shoot for at least an hour or two each time. I also would go to a local range about twice per month on average.

This past year, 2004, I got to the range about 1-2 times per month on average plus another 4 days to do tactical exercises and qualify for work. On the low end that would be 16 days, on the high end that would be 28 days. There were a couple of other days in the field but not with much shooting. Man, now that I think of it, that sucks! I need to get more range time somehow. My son has discovered hanging out and girls, so he is not as enthusiatic about shooting. When we do shoot he does not want to go to the indoor range anymore since we discovered trap shooting at an outdoor range not too far away. I cannot get to the outdoor range today but I feel an urge to go shooting today. So I may have to drag Brendan to the indoor range tonight. If he fights back too hard, I'll just go with Pietro, Eliphalet, and some of the other guys!

#16 ·
Last year sucked as far as range time.

Mabu like to shoot every week but not last year.

Work screwed that up too. Lucky to get out once a month a few times.

And no long range shooting, all 100yds or less. Bah!

#17 ·
Lets see

Took CRG1 from Suarez. 2 days

Unarmed against the knife and a weapon retention class from Suarez. 1 day.

LFI 3 from Ayoob 5 days.

Advanced Stressfire from LFI staff instructor. 2 days.

Class from Tactical Response 2 days.

Knife fighting class from Marc McYoung 1 day.

Taught CRG1. 2 days.

total professional training time. 15 full days. (and 3 nights)

Matches.

IHMSA Silouette 3 matches

IDPA. 9 matches.

IPSC. 4 matches.

16 days of match shooting

Personal training on the range: 6

Total 37.

#18 ·
I could not honestly say. I shoot on my own range whenever the mood strikes me, which is often. Early last Spring when I went through my lunatic C&R phase I was out every day, sometimes three to four hours at a stretch. I teach local PD's once or twice a month, and shoot on a Federal Prison range about once every month, weather permitting. I just love the freedom of my private range though. Relatives and friends will come over and somewhere along the line it's "Hey, can we shoot?" Fifty yards from my deck is the range and the sand berm reduces the sound so the non-shooters are not even bothered by the noise.

Attachments

#20 ·
Nice range. A nice barbecue and a shoot. Sweet.

What is your back stop? I don't see one in the pic, but my guess is that is because it is a photo..

#21 ·
andy said:
the day I hit the halfway house, I had no trouble tossing up a can Don't you mean tossing up your can just like you did in the pen?

making a concealed belt draw and hitting it in the air. Oh yeah that can probably got "hit numerous times" (but you had to survive right?)

Missed a few at first, then it came right back. From what I understand you were X ringed numerous times while being wrongly inprisioned. As far as what was on your back only you would know that.

First try, beat the waist high coin drop to weaver, Don't you mean "beat the waist high trouser drop to weiner?"

IWB, open wear, in front of hip
I take it this means INJECTED WITH BACON ? Oh yeah it probably still is quite open and most certianly well worn.

And lastly because of all this fun you had with your fellow inmates in the pen you now have a bad hip?

To the rest of the members

A while back I said to myself I would not get into pissing matches with the Jail House Whore. Well a new year has come and I have abolished that rule after a fashion. I figure I can poke a bit of fun now and again and still be myself. I do like this site and the members here are A OK and provide a quality experence when they post. Glad I took some "time out" mull over the quandry I was in.

I suppose now I will be cursed at, threatened, and so on and so forth by JMD I won't be loosing any sleep over it in retrospect I will probably find it quite amusing and it will help to release stress leading to many blissfull nights sleep in the coming months ahead.

#22 ·
oops

Guess I forgot what the topic was About 12 hours putting holes in paper and all of it short range. Somewere around 40-50 hours of field work on various vermin. Proved that being off the trigger for 6 years makes you crapy when you want to be good. I now have the time to play on the weekends and in the fullness of time things will improve.

#23 ·
Glenn Bartley said:
Nice range. A nice barbecue and a shoot. Sweet.

What is your back stop? I don't see one in the pic, but my guess is that is because it is a photo..
The ridge itself, of course, and a stack of jack pine logs behind the 100 yard target that my nephew and I cut up after felling three dead trees from my front yard. Two day's work cutting and hauling and stacking. I gave him a Yugoslavian SKS for his help. Cheap, when you think of the labor involved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.