Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it IS dark half of the time, ya know. Without nvd's, you aint hitting head on prone men at 50m, with any reliablility at all, except on pavement during the full moon. Under those circumstances, you might reach 100 yds. With such light, and a scope with an illuminated cross hair, you might hit fully exposed torsos at 200m, somewhat more than 1/2 of the time (ie, better than pure LUCK). NVD'S have to be FOCUSED, either on the target or the sights, or you ALSO have to have a lazer or infared sighting system (ie, ANOTHER battery dependent, electronic falling apart pos system on your rifle. ) When it's dark of the moon, especially in the woods, you will miss head on prone men a LOT at a mere 20m, and you will hit cover user's heads only by LUCK at such a range. In cold weather, batteries go dead in a very few hours of use, too. Slamming prone, when being shot at, gear taking bullet and frag hits, slapping prone in mud, water, snow, etc, scopes and electronic sights are going to get-obscured and WET. Wet electronics means corrosion, and you often have no way to dry them out, in the field. So much for all this bs "need" of long range. Your scoped match 308 isn't going to have a LICK more effective range than a 10" barreled 223 has, over half of the time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Funny in the Sandbopx we don't have any trouble engaging at night, with or without the NV gear.

The NV just makes it much easier.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don't go out at night.I'm afraid of the dark.

Zombies...well,you know..:)

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy says: "Your scoped match 308 isn't going to have a LICK more effective range than a 10" barreled 223 has, over half of the time."

Well good. We will take the full time and you can keep the half time.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
That's right Erika. It will be good enough the first half, and superior in the second half. I like them odds. An 11" POSCAR's ability, with so low a velocity and bullet weight, will make the 7.62 man able to shoot from behind cover the CAR shooter can't touch while the 7.62 man can shoot right through. Won't need repeated hits like the POSCAR man needs (with such wimpy ammo).

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Just this week, I shot at night, for the first time since 1995. A catastrophic medical problem set me back for quiet awhile.

I have my accuracy back, but the speed will never be like it used to be. however, I am not that slow either. Sooo, if bad luck comes hunting, I will just have to be a little anticipatory.

However, I have always been anticipatory, that is what me going in Korea, and other places since.

·
Registered
54 Posts
NIGHT SHOOTING

Get to shoot at night about twice a year. ( Yeah I know I should get out more ) it is a whole new world after dark.
By the way, why is everyone so against a 10" CAR ? I used one in my Class III days and kinda liked it, as long as you know that it is basicly a close quarters battle weapon and not for long range.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
BURT said:
By the way, why is everyone so against a 10" CAR ? I used one in my Class III days and kinda liked it, as long as you know that it is basicly a close quarters battle weapon and not for long range.
Because the local short bus rider thinks it'as a long range battle weapon. According to him, it can "blow your chest open" at 300 yards, it can "do anything a .308 can do", claims it's a great advantage to use the "GI round", which is ineffective past what? 45 meters? Yet he's going to take people out at 400 meters with it. Claims it's good to 600 yards. What else?

No one has any problem with any weapon here. It's a problem with the application people think they're good for. If you want to be limited to room clearing, with a 10" AR, go for it. Just don't try and tell people that it's a 600 meter weapon.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Night shooting or low light shooting is a good thing to practice. At my job we only do it yearly, but on my own I have done it at least quarterly on an annual basis. I have hunted in twighlight and at night (raccoons of course) and have never used NV optics. Since many shooting situations that you are likely to encounter would happen at night, it is a good idea to practice shoot in low light levels.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I haven't shot at night since I retired from the Army 2 years ago. The club I belong to, currently doesn't allow it.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Garand said:
I haven't shot at night since I retired from the Army 2 years ago. The club I belong to, currently doesn't allow it.
Most of my dim light shooting is done outdoors. If you have the opportunity you should try to get out to the back country for some dim light shooting, but be darned sure of your backstop and that no one is around to get shot accidentally.And of course I mean you should only do this if legal in your area.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I do quite a bit of night shooting, both rifle and handgun....Any camping trip includes a fair amount of night shooting.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
i go night shooting every now and again in a park nearby maybe 4, 5 times a year. i use a pellet gun just for the practice. Its good up to about 50 yards, and ive found a very cheap method of NV: i have a can of glow in the dark paint that i use on the sights if i wish to use NV. i can wash it off later. I use it about half of the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts