Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I understand dries foods.Rice,lentils,jerky-no problem.Canned(store or my own)too.But what about dog food?My dogs are pets.They aren't the type that I'd expect to run down a deer (or a little kid) & eat them.Regulary.
Now,fifty pounds of Purina dog chow lasts almost two weeks & takes up a thirty gallon waste can for room.

I guess my point/question is how to accomodate the animals food needs too.I don't want to have to put down my fuzzy burglar alarm buddies just because dog fud isn't handy anymore.I don't expect enough quality table scraps to feed even one eighty pounder,let alone three.

Ideas?Other than buying a barn full of dog fud & a pile of rat traps to keep it fresh that is?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Pets are a big part of our family too. A 44lb sack of Purina Kibbles and Chunks lasts almost a month for 2 large Dobes and a 55lb Lab female. Course their kibs are supplemented with table scraps. Without their kibbles, I expect they would have to eat some of what we eat. This could be supplemented with rabbits, birds, squirrels etc shot with the air rifle. A pets life sure would be better outside the city than inside, huh. Another thing, consider stocking up on caracide (heart worm preventative) and flea killer. Its not that expensive and a 2 years supply stores small.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What bothers me is the increased pressure that it puts on me.ie.Instead of just needing to kill a couple of bunnies now I MUST HAVE a half dozen.& for a city boy who has only thought about a trapline that task seems a bit daunting.

Good point about the vet meds too.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Traps are cheap and the knowledge is easily gained if you have a place to practice. If a girl (me) can learn to be a good trapper then you should have no trouble Jeff. There are plenty of good books to learn from.

Check out these links:

http://www.buckshotscamp.com/

http://www.snareone.com/

I've dealt with both of these companys and they are fine honest people.

RIKA

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'll second the buckshots camp site. Has some good snares and videos available. I ordered from them, no problem.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neat stuff there Rika.

Thank you.
"if a girl can do it"lol!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Trapping doesn't take great strength, only a little smarts; thats the reason I mentioned the girl thing.

Will second Kent's comments about Buckshot's videos. Obviously amateurish and home made but they convey info visually that is hard to pick up in a book. I have the first 3 videos including the one on home made traps that I recommend highly. His trap prices are pretty good though you should really shop around. (I like the Conibear traps though I have some longsprings too). You can make your own scent attractants too, if you want.

RIKA

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
u'll be eating THEM, if shtf. get real dude.

I think not andy but if you come sneaking around my place you will become a tasty tidbit for the critters out in the woods. Wouldn't feed you to the dogs cuz I don't want them to get sick.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
andy said:
A chihuahua can live on insects,mice fish and bird skins and heads. :)
NUTTY JOHN, I didn't know you were a Chihuahua! How did you learn to do that?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
Yeah, and a pair of German Shepherds can feed quite well off of poorly equipped, shivering in the cold, wannabe looters.

·
Registered
779 Posts
andy said:
That chihuahua would end up in the stewpot forthwith. Cant stand their incessant yapping.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Kent said:
That chihuahua would end up in the stewpot forthwith. Cant stand their incessant yapping.
I wish Chihuahua's coult talk -- I wonder what they would say about you?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Kent said:
I wish Chihuahua's could talk -- I wonder what they would say about you?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Funny(?)Chihuahua story.

About ten years ago the driveway neighbors wee little ankle biter got loose & chased a neighbor kid into the street.That neighbor kids' dad had a pair of Dobies.I bullshit not.One grabbed the 'lil rat fore-the other aft.The ripped that little dog into a couple of bloody halves.

I thought it was pretty kool.I was,apparently,in the minority.:dgrin:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Jeff, I don't doubt the story a bit. If the Dobes perceived the little rat as a threat they would terminate it unless trained not to do so. Nature of the beast. Thats the reason our Dobes are attack (personal protection) trained. They only go after something if ordered to. Doesn't mean that they won't growl and give the 'Doberman death stare' though.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I never could stand the little rat-puppies. The weiner dogs aren't much better.
i think the only small dogs I really get along with are Beagles, but then again, thay think they're big dogs, and act like them

Don't worry about feeding the looter trash to the dogs, they can survive just fine on a cheap piece of meat..

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Who in his right mind would buy a silly mutt like a chihuahua?????

1 - 20 of 37 Posts