Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Super Moderator
I'll watch it in a little bit.
I'll probably leave a comment on it there unless comments are disabled.

Registered
After watching that video I feel like I just saw 'Smokey The Bear' get murdered. And, just so ya know, I've done a whole lot of hunting. Got away from it in later life, though. After I met my very beautiful, very gentle wife, I felt as if my soul were (somehow) becoming sick from all the sport hunting and killing I had done. So, after more than 30 years of hunting all across the eastern United States and Canada, I finally went into animal training and rescue work.

Know what? I feel better about being me, now. It's been many years since I wittingly outsmarted and killed an animal just for the thrill of it all. Nowadays I work and spend my money to bring critters back to life, fix them, clean them up, and give them another chance instead.

In recent years I've had some strange (actually heartwarming) experiences with animals too. Like a doe who brought her fawn out of the woods in order to show it to me. She and her hesitant, rather perplexed fawn came walking right up to me! Then there was this bird-feeder raiding squirrel who thought that I was his friend because I decided to release him from a livetrap. (HIs obvious gratitude amazed me!)

There was also this large Black Bear sow and her cub that came into our backyard late one night, and into whom I blithely blundered before realizing that she and the cub were sitting right there in front of me! ('Black on black', you know!)

I ended up close enough to that bear for her to simply reach out and touch me! (I swear she actually had what appeared to be an amused smile on her face!) It could have been 'curtains' for me, too, because I wasn't armed at the time; but, instead, she just continued to sit there on her haunches, quietly watching me, until she allowed me to slowly back up and walk away.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After 6 years on hunting (legally) on some of the largest military bases in the country, that restricted who could and who could not hunt within their boundaries, I started to feel like there was no challenge left anymore. Which is why in 1986 I started shooting competitions in Service Rifle, Service Sniper, IPSC, 3 Gun Matches, etc. I still get more of an adrenalin rush ringing steel, than dragging my sorry butt over hill and dale every fall. But if there is ever a need to, I know I won't have to worry about my marksmanship skills.

Reactions: BigEd

Registered
Bear Spray worked fine for me twice. I was backed up by my Son once with a 12 Gauge pump and once with a M-1 Garand. Two fairly large Males that would not leave. One tore up our spare gas tanks.
Plant Plant community Vertebrate Toy Mammal

Reactions: Garand and BigEd
1 - 5 of 5 Posts