Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread may be better suited for the Optics/Sights forum, but most of the talk in there is about scopes and laser sights, and I'd think this topic would be overlooked, so I'm posting it in the "Relics" section.

I've got an 1898 Krag, long rifle, with the flip up sight. I've always fired it at relatively short ranges using the sight flipped downard. Accuracy shooting like this is more or less a crapshoot. I am wondering if anyone knows how on earth you "use" the flip up sight? I am guessing the notched elevation markings (10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15....) are in increments of 10 yards. Any specifics on how this sucker is supposed to work?

·
Registered
261 Posts
You may find this unbelievable, but those numbers are in increments of 100 yards. Why they had an iron sight for out to 2000 yards (1760= 1 mile) is beyond me. Try to set the elevation at 2000, align the sights and put the rifle in your shoulder, I bet you will find that it doesn't work real well. You would probably have to tuck it under your arm, not the most effective way to fire a rifle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts