Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
308 bullets (first thing) when an anonomaly showed-up, a HUGE one, in fact, in his velocity tests of a "special" sniper type of ammo. He's ALSO too stupid to use a 300 Win Mag for ranges beyond the 600 yd capability of the 308.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
308 bullets (first thing) when an anonomaly showed-up, a HUGE one, in fact, in his velocity tests of a "special" sniper type of ammo. He's ALSO too stupid to use a 300 Win Mag for ranges beyond the 600 yd capability of the 308.
Did it ever occur to your little pea brain that there may be reasons for not using the 300?

He does have a .338 lapua for long range, but you're too stupid to understand that...

:devil:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Actually, those rounds were what Wraith used by department mandate. I use Georgia Arms G308M match 168 hpbt. I don't need a magnum to hit my targets out to 1200. My .308 works fine.

Now, I use the .338 for the real long range stuff out to 2500 yards... and yes Tard, I could very easily hit a person at that range. For the heavier stuff out to 3000 yards, I use either the .50 BMG or the 20mm.

Mike

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
If GK really thinks that a .308 rifle firing 168 grain HPBT bullets cannot hit man sized targets beyond 600 yards this merely poroves he has never shot one.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The .308 has a VERY high accuracy potential.

Some people don't understand that accuracy is more important than velocity and the two often do NOT go hand in hand. An excessive amount of burning powder behind that bullet can often be a detriment to accuracy.

HR, what type of 20mm do you have access to?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Yeah, Lahti was the first thing I thought of when you said 20mm.

I almost bought one years ago when I could have gotten a good deal on one, but was to busy with other things and didn't have the space or the extra cash I was willing to burn at the time to properly support the weapon.

A Lahti is a big investment with special presses, custom dies, made to oerder cases, made to order 2000 grain projectiles, etc.

But..... oh, what a weapon.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
u r fos. if you knew jack shit about hitting MOBILE targets, under FIELD conditions, you'd know that RETAINED velocity means more than grouping, under lots of conditions. Your ignorance is showing, dumbass. I never said 308's cant' SOMETIMES get a scratch hit beyond 600 yds. I said that at such ranges, the 300 win mag is LOTS better, and it IS.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
u r fos. if you knew jack shit about hitting MOBILE targets, under FIELD conditions, you'd know that RETAINED velocity means more than grouping, under lots of conditions. Your ignorance is showing, dumbass. I never said 308's cant' SOMETIMES get a scratch hit beyond 600 yds. I said that at such ranges, the 300 win mag is LOTS better, and it IS.
You really need to hit the books and then hit the range quite a bit more, amigo. You have some learning to do. :)

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
which of course explains why the military uses .308 for sniper rifles....

And why they stress shot grouping, and wash people out on targets at 1,000 yards and beyond, etc.

I think someone may be FOS, and it's easy to see who actually does know what...

SOMETIMES, man that's funny! (did you mean to make a joke?)

:devil:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

you really don't know anything about doing range shooting, do you? 600 yd isn't even near the end of the .308 envelope.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Admitting that the .308 is capable beyond the (arbitrary, magical) 600 yard distance would mean admitting that it has an advantage over the .223; and that is heresy. Never mind the many videos of people actually making hits - in field conditions - with the .308 to two and even three times that summarily-decreed distance; it is heresy to discuss.

To be honest, I really don't think the 600-yard decree is accidental, because it's at around 500 or so that the .223 performance really falls off faster & faster than the meatier bullet of the .30-calibers.

I don't shoot anywhere near that far anymore and have no intention of doing so. That said, while I am absolutely NO Matthew Quigley by any stretch of the imagination, when I did used to shoot further than I do now, my cheapo $379 savage bolt action shooting walmart federal 180-grain softpoints would pop cantaloupes nearly 100% of the time at a quarter mile; even with a non-sniper like me pulling the trigger. If a moderately-skilled (at best) rifle shooter like me can do that with walmart ammo, that tells me that the caliber could do a whole lot more in the hands of someone with tailored loads and real skill.

Admitting that reality takes only a very small amount of maturity and honesty, but I think that's the inherent source of gunkid's pontifications. Fragile egos combined with veiled self-loathing make it impossible to reconcile objective reality with subjective personal preference. I also prefer the .223, but to claim that the bigger and more powerful .308 isn't capable and reliable out to longer range is silly. The .308 has roughly the same energy at nearly a quarter mile as the .223 does at the muzzle. But we're to believe that that's meaningless for 'long range' shooting. The .308 also has better sectional density AND better ballistic coefficient in almost every loading. But again, we're supposed to believe that has no meaning at range. While the .223 starts out faster, by around 300 yards or so, most .223 loads are slower than .308 loads are at that same 300 yard distance. He preaches that 'retained velocity' is important, and it is. But he then ignores the fact that a typical .308 will stay supersonic for around 300 yards further than the .223. And if we see those things as relevant when talking about long range shooting, we're heretics.

Again, I prefer the .223 and shoot it a LOT more than my .308's. But that's because in my situation (short ranges, small deer, target shooting, timer drills, etc), the .223 can do what I need. But my personal preference doesn't render the laws of physics moot. Some folks either can't grasp that or (worse) just can't bring themselves to admit it out loud.

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Have not looked for a long time, more than I can ever use are in the shop. Just need to heat the lead pots up an get busy with the 10 cavity molds for a few days. Running out of room to store stuff in, shop is only 28x30 an moved everything that is not gun related to other building. Been thinking about giving son a few jugs of Unique an Bullseye an another 5000 of each size primers. One of these days might start selling some of this stuff an a few guns, maybe.r

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
It's sometimes good to have 'too much' of something. I loaned one of our techs a couple buckets of wheelweights yesterday, to use as extra weight in the bed of his pickup truck for traction going home.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
That is a good way to store WWs or ingots. One truck I had years ago got some cheap metal tool boxes ( kinda hard to find now, all seem to be plastic) an mounted one over each front wheel an a few in back, worked great, not sure what the weight was since I bolted them down before filling. That was back in the 70s so plenty of room under the hood. Not sure could do that with a modern truck besides I have enough junk in the bed. Really found the best way, don't go out in bad weather! Ready for Spring!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
When I was younger, I had a lead brick. It was literally the same dimensionally as a brick you'd use in construction. I put it in the back of my beater in the wintertime for traction.

I wrote some stupid text on it and gave it to a girl. one of the lines was: "like this brick, no-one can take our friendship lightly"
Yes, I was young and dumb. No, she is not the woman I married, nor is she the one that got away. We really were just friends.

Looking back, I wish I had kept it - could make a lot of ammo from that brick. :(

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
I use old metal ammo boxes, 2x 35mm ammo boxes filled with kitty litter and 4x .50 ammo boxes filled with lead wheel weights.

Reactions: BigEd and Dorobuta

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
...not sure what the weight was since I bolted them down before filling...
Fwiw, while pure lead weighs something like 90-100 lbs per gallon, the five-gallon buckets I have of mixed wheelweights all weigh 120-128 lbs full, or ~25 lbs per lb. The odd shapes and misc oddball stuff like the metal clips taking up space, really dilute the density more than I would have thought, but every one of them are in that ballpark. Just something to consider if using them for ballast; it takes a lot more of them when they’re in that state.

Reactions: BigEd
1 - 20 of 20 Posts