My hunting stable:
(center fires)

Winchester M70 in .223
Ruger M77 in .280 Rem
Ruger M77 in .338 Win Mag

AR-15 in .223
Sig 556 in .223
AR-15 in .300 blackout 16" barrel
AR-15 in .300 blackout 10.5" barrel (technically a pistol)
AR-10 in .308

Non-hunting (center fires):

M1 Garand
Winchester model 94 in 38-40

(Rim fires):

Ruger 10-22 in .22lr
Marlin 25MN in .22 mag

So what does everyone else hunt with?

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
I don't hunt anymore; the only animals I shoot are nuisance animals like possum, armadillo, etc. I would say I shoot snakes, but that's illegal in Arkansas, so I obviously don't do that...

For deer I've used .308, .357magnum carbine, and even .223 carbine with very careful ammo selection. All work fine, but that's because our deer here aren't very large, and in our area I've never taken a deer past 90 yards, maybe 80. Frankly, in our area and with our small deer, even .308 is just about overkill.

Small game, the typical .22LR or shotgun for the most part, and that was when I was very young. Never enjoyed the 'return on investment' when cleaning squirrels & such.

For the nuisance animals that plague my life now, most of the time it's whatever's at hand; usually a handgun in .45Colt, 9mm or 380acp. Sometimes a .22 rifle when I'm doing something that I think may present an opportunity for nuisance reduction; but that's the minority.

·
Administrator
2,558 Posts
Currently I've not been able to truly hunt in awhile although I've a decent amount of Rifles and a shotgun.

I'm in virtually the same hunting environment as John in AR just being more NW, for now.

Back in the day small game primarily Squirrel was with the Ruger 10/22 Carbine.
Or literally sniped with my first Mossberg 144.
Once in awhile a rabbit but not very often.
Deer originally with a Mini-14 and heavy 70gr SPEER RNSP not the most optimal but it works.
The next deer rifle is the one somebody loves to hate the Rack Grade M1-A. 😁
Also honorable mention to a restocked Spanish FR-8 that was light and handy. But never had any luck or even decent weather when using it.
Now once I get moved and settled it'll probably be one of the two 1903-A3's I decide to keep. I do need to make a trip to one of the public ranges and see which one performs the best.
So anyway it'll be a 03-A3 in .30-06.

For various small to big game at bad breath distances the Remington 870 Express Super Magnum with the proper ammunition will work out okay around the house and in the thicker woods.
I'll have to go on a hunt for a couple more barrels for it.
Or spend money on getting mine cut for screw in chokes and maybe bolt on irons if I want to use slugs, maybe.

Also wouldn't mind a tuned up 10/22 but not a bull barrel.
Now if I had a "honey hole for squirrels like the old black walnut tree that was down below the house....well the Mossberg 144 I have now would be coming along.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts

Excuse the 2 pictures containing the same 5.56mm Mossberg MVP Patrol Rifle. Missed is the second Mauser M1896 in 6.5x55 in original as issued condition.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
and waiting in limbo until the government confiscation program takes place, up here.

• Sad
Reactions: Dorobuta and BigEd

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Garand, what’s that 1892 that’s second from the bottom in the last picture? Looks like some commemorative edition. I usually don’t like unusual color combinations like that, but that’s one of the prettiest rifles I’ve seen in a long time.

·
Banned
191 Posts
In centerfire rifles, for more than 30 years, I used a bolt-action, Sako Finnbear, 30-06 Sprfld. rifle with a variable power, Leupold 3 x 9X scope on top. Awesome gun! Even in dim light I seldom missed with it.

For most other hunting I used either a 12 or a 20 gauge, Belgian Browning, A-5 semiautomatic shotgun. Sometimes for small game I also used a Winchester Model 9422 XTR, 22 LR, lever-action carbine with a fixed power, 4X Leupold scope fitted with Redfield, 'See-Thru' mounts.

That lever action Winchester had (almost) the inherent accuracy of a bolt-action rifle; inside of (say) 80 yards, it was a very straight shooting gun! I especially enjoyed using it with older higher quality 22 LR ammunition. At 50 yards I could put every shot into a group that could (almost) be covered by a 25 cent piece! Could do the same thing with the 30-06 Sako, and a 50 cent piece @ 100 yards, too!

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
1983 Winchester M94 "John Wayne Commemorative" in .32-40. Previous owner allowed the butt plate to slightly rust destroying its collector status, but it is a real nice 100 yd shooter.

Reactions: BigEd and Dorobuta

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Can't forget my 1901 Winchester M1894 in .30-30, that I'm putting new sights on this winter.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Browning BAR on .30/06i is my Deer Rifle. I've used a 7MM Magnum and once with a .223 but I'm done switching. It's the BAR. For Pheasant a Browning A-5 or Browning Sweet 16. I don't hunt Squirrels any longer like John said I don't like cleaning them. I use a Remington 1100 for Ducks and Geese, but truth is Pheasant's with my Dog are the
Plant Tree Musical instrument Guitar Wood
Dog Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tire
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Gun dog
Photograph Wood Air gun Trigger Line

most fun!

Reactions: Garand and Dorobuta
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.