Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple months ago, there was a thread about using “assault weapons” for hunting and gaming, to demonstrate a ‘legitimate use’ for the sheeple.

Let me start it out… :)

Small button-buck, taken at 80-90 yards with Winchester’s 65-grain PowerPointPlus load.

For the sheeple’s information: Bushmaster (yes, the “DC sniper” gun :rolleyes: ) CAR-15, with Leupold 1-4X compact scope, and Advanced Armament M4-2000 suppressor (the evil “silencer” :cool: ).

Attachments

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Very handsome John, both you, the rifle and the buck.

Around the place where I hunt, I choose to carry a Ruger Single Action and either a BA or LA for the rifle. There is no magazine limit but the sight of an 'assault rifle' or even a cocked and locked 1911 on the hip of a young woman seems to make the hunters uncomfortable so I don't do it.

The off season when I can hunt varmints and hogs (and there very few people around) is a different matter. Have hunted hogs and varmints with the AR15 and even used that AR with Russian night vision for coyotes. May use the M1A or even the ,30 Carbine for hogs after deer season ends.

RIKA

·
Registered
720 Posts
I may get a 'yote hunting opportunity with some cousins real soon, some of the fine folks here suggest I use my Bushy A3 AK. I guess that's what I'll do!
SatCong

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
John, use whatever your comfortable with. I just think the .223/5.56MM is not enough for northern Whitetail. Does run in the 120 to 160 lb. category. The one I shot last year was 162 lbs. Bucks can go as much as 20 to 30 lbs. over that. My son took his first deer with an SKS using a 125 Grain SP, but I prefer a heavier bullet. I used a BSA 7MM Magnum one season, very accurate and certainly did the job, but I ruined some meat. The exit hole was the size of my fist. I'll stick with my FN Browning BAR in 30/06. 180 Grain SP's. I don't like tracking deer off my own property. Too many "once a year in the woods" hunters that pretty consistently shoot each other. The " against hunting with an assault rifle" theme is silly. AR-15's, AK's, M-1A's and FN SLR's, could all be classified as "Assault Rifles", but when the magazines are blocked to five rounds, their no different than my BAR. The ones pictured dropped quick, both to 30/06's.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Terry G said:
John, use whatever your comfortable with. I just think the .223/5.56MM is not enough for northern Whitetail.
No disagreement there. For 'my area' it's fine, in other areas, it's a different story. I grew up on a farm between Flint and Port Huron, so I also agree about the difference in northern deer and ours down here.

Tarry G said:
..Too many "once a year in the woods" hunters that pretty consistently shoot each other.
That's not "as" bad down here, but it's still an issue; and why I wear two thicknesses of level IIA vest when hunting. (I'm a fat bastard, but not as fat a bastard as I look in that picture... :cool: ) Two level IIA vests on top of each other, may not be 'rated' for the guns out there in the woods, but it certainly can't hurt.

Terry G said:
The " against hunting with an assault rifle" theme is silly. AR-15's, AK's, M-1A's and FN SLR's, could all be classified as "Assault Rifles", but when the magazines are blocked to five rounds, their no different than my BAR.
Absolutely true, but the sheeple don't deal in absolutes or even reality. To them, it's all the relative, obscure, emotion-based haze of sheeple-vision. I've already gotten a couple "I didn't know anybody really used those things for hunting" comments from people upon seeing the picture.

Yes, sheeple are stoopid.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
A few years ago when I got my Jeep Wrangler, the wife and I took it out into the national forest near here for a drive. It was during deer season here in north Florida, so that probably wasn't a real good idea. There were a bunch of jokers who had staked out roads and were running dogs into them to chase the deer out the other side where more yokels were sitting in portable stands on their pickup trucks waiting for a shot. These were all sitting on the roads, mind you, and a shot fired at a deer could have traveled a LONG way down one of those straight sandy roads.

Anyway, we got pretty nervous being out there and were turning around to get out of dodge when three deer jumped out right in front of us with one of those hunting parties on the other side. I thought for sure we were going to get killed, but fortunately they didn't open fire.

I don't know, maybe it is just me, but that doesn't seem like "hunting" to me. More like shooting fish in a barrel.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My second stepdad had seven boys from his first marriage.On opening day he & the eldest boy would climb the water tower.The other boys drove the deer through the wood & out into the open field around the tower.Both the old man & his brat shot 7 mags.

Unfortunately they were neither caught nor did they fall off.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Raider said:
There is no magazine limit. . .
Terry might know better, but it was explained to me that the 5-round limit (semi-autos only) is a federal law. Soem states, like FL have laws that echo it, but even if your state doesn't, if it is indeed a federal law, best not to do it.

Anyway, back on topic. John, nice deer, for a southern deer (don't think I'll ever get used to these antlered poodles down here).

Of course we can't do that here in FL. Can't hunt with a suppressor and can't hunt big game with a .22 of any flavor.

That being said, about four years ago I went out with the FAL and filled my tags. Doesn't matter what the rifle is, a good hit in the proper place does it.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Magnum, the federal law of 3rd mag only applies to migratory waterfowl which can be only killed with a shotgun. Federal law sets no such standard for rifles. The individual states set the mag limit for rifles. These can vary from 5 to many+.

RIKA

·
Registered
611 Posts
Magnum88C said:
Terry might know better, but it was explained to me that the 5-round limit (semi-autos only) is a federal law. Soem states, like FL have laws that echo it, but even if your state doesn't, if it is indeed a federal law, best not to do it.

The state of Texas has no magazine caps, and if there's a Federal mag cap for waterfowl, like Raider mentioned, it's not enforced.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
John in AR, kewl little piece! I wonder if the dipstick would like to post pics of his AR setup?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Yeah, I know about the cap for waterfowl. I was told there's a fed law holding semi auto rifles to 5 rounds for hunting. It could be bad info. No biggie, just don't want anyone getting in trouble over something stupid.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
As long as you are hunting within your own state for animals that are also within your own state, where would the feds get legal authority for such actions? Not to say that they haven't concocted some trumped up constitutional interpretation, of course.

I've often thought the same thing concerning jurisdiction over local sales between a dealer and a buyer. What constitutionally granted authority does the BATF operate under for FFL transfers within a state's boundaries?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I believe that federal law trumps state law and that state laws can only be more, not less, restrictive. For example, when California "legalized" marijuana, DEA still came in and busted growers that were abiding by their state, county and city laws. Feds trumped there.

In AZ, I'm pretty sure there is a 5rnd capacity limit and cans are no-nos.

cheers

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
krept said:
I believe that federal law trumps state law and that state laws can only be more, not less, restrictive. For example, when California "legalized" marijuana, DEA still came in and busted growers that were abiding by their state, county and city laws. Feds trumped there.

In AZ, I'm pretty sure there is a 5rnd capacity limit and cans are no-nos.

cheers
Not really.....
Article [IX.]
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Article [X.]
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
Which means the federal government can only act on powers that are permitted to it by the US Constitution. If the constitution does not grant that authority to the federal government, then those powers remain within the hands of the states or the people themselves.

Article 9 also says that just because the Constitution doesn't say we have certain rights, does not mean that we do not have them. The default condition is that we have those rights without having them listed specifically.

Of course, this is all theoretical since no one really seems to pay much attention to the Constitution any longer. Particularly our federal government.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Rich Z said:
As long as you are hunting within your own state for animals that are also within your own state, where would the feds get legal authority for such actions?
Since when do they need LEGAL authority?

Andy said:
Somebody blew smoke up your butt, no Fed law about mag cap for hunting big game.
That very well may be the case. Like I said, I just didn't want anyone to get in trouble over something like this. To me, it doesn't matter, as State law has the restrictions here anyway.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Same here in Virginia, no mag limit for rifle only caliber requirements and muzzle energy requirements for rifle and handgun.

Nice thing about where I do most of my hunting is that in Virginia and West Virginia, suppressors are legal to hunt with. Yesterday morning, I got a decent 8 point buck followed by a medium sized doe with my suppressed M40. Got both within fifteen minutes of each other.

Mike

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought there was one other state where hunting with a suppressor was legal, but didn't remember which state it was. Virginia; good to know.

I'm hoping for some squirrel (& possibly rabbit) hunting in the next few weeks, at least by Christmas. Get that ciener unit, subsonic hp's, & suppressor going, & harvest all those stinking tree rats without them hearing what killed them... :uzi:

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Didn't mention, this was the first one my kid helped out on.

"Train up a child in the way he should go", so to speak...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts