Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about Hyperdelivery Systems or know anyone that got a set of plans or built a rifle? Just looking for feedback, most importantly does the semi-auto 50 BMG work well?

Thank you!
Keith

Link to their website:

http://www.hyperdel.com/default.htm

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I've heard of people tackling .50BMG rifles via plans, but the general consensus is that you need to have about $20K invested in machine shop tools in order to realistically build one. Plus MANY hours of labor. When this is all done and considered, the price of actually buying one doesn't seem so bad.

My personal opinion is that unless you really have a need to fire off rounds in a .50BMG in rapid succession, a good bolt action will be plenty enough fun to play with. To be honest, I would much rather shoot my model 99 Barrett than my M82A1 any day. I haven't tried the model 95 yet.

Building a semi-auto .50BMG from plans, while interesting to do if you have the metal working knowledge and machinery available, would probably be an all consuming project to undertake. It would be much more complicated than a straight bolt action, I would think.

Then there comes the time to pull the trigger for the first time, just to see what happens.

I've heard that one of the early Serbu bolt action rifles had a fault that caused a shooter some severe injury to his shooting hand when the case ruptured. I believe it fired when the bolt wasn't completely in battery position, but I don't remember the details any longer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This isn' the first time I have built a .50 rifle. Did a bolt gun a couple years ago. Looking for something more challenging now. Just happen to own a Serbu as well.

There is a first time for everything. If you do it the right way it isn't anymore dangerous than crossing the street. Common sense prevails here, I can assure you I have no intention of being nominated for a Darwin award.

As far as the Serbu injury is concerned it was on a very early shell holder model. Not even close to the bolt gun he went to production with.

Part of the satisfaction I get from this sport is putting a personal touch on my tools, not just the spacing between the holes I make in the sheet of paper downrange. If all I do is shoot something someone else built for me, more than half the fun is gone!

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what sort of machinery to you have? I'm kind of a tool-aholic myself and am interested in this sort of stuff. I have a medium sized milling machine and a small lathe. Would like to have more, but I have to walk sideways to squeeze into my workroom as it is.

If you do build a .50, I would like to see you going about it, maybe as a log on here. Do you have a digital camera? I think it would be really neat to see the interim steps along the way.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to use the shop where I work. It is nice not to have to invest in expensive equipment and still get just as much fun out of it. If I do the project I'll post on progress.

From what I know the prints from Hyperdelivery are not completely production ready. Now this is not a bad thing since if you buy them now at the "introductory price" you will get the updated production version when he gets it done. I suspect the price of these prints is going up once he gets his patents and goes to production.

If you know anyone that has the prints, or is building from them, that doesn't mind chatting about their experience it would be nice to get in touch with them.

G

·
Only 3 people have used the plans

Here's what a poster who claims to represent the company posted on Biggerhammer on 10/22:

Three builders that we know of. They've not sent us pictures. We'll post our own pictures and movies when the field testing has completed to our satisfaction and the design has been released to production.

He gave an e-mail of:

[email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
50 cal

If you want to see something funny go to www.stupidvideos.com and click on the titles called "Big Shot" and "Shotgun". These guys are shooting a bolt action .50 BMG with no muzzle break and gettin punished big time.:D

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
LOL! Yeah a while back they had a bunch of links like this on the Biggerhammer site. I laughed my ass off! Of course, I'm glad it's not MY gun those guys are dropping on the floor like that.

Thanks for the link!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts