Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
given the price of 223 ammo and unavaiiabiilty of the bullets for reloading. Probably airsoft and .177 sales are way up, too. and silencers, actuall. All mean you need less practice ammo for 223. I see lots of frustration of guys trying to powder coat and paper patch gas checked 223 case bullets, without having enough brains to use 1 in 7 rifling twist and a 100 gr flat point bullet. Since you have to hold the velocity to 2000 fps, only a heavy bullet is going to cycle the action. Probably need a custom mold, too, since nobody has brains enough to figure this out.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
...without having enough brains to use 1 in 7 rifling twist and a 100 gr flat point bullet. Since you have to hold the velocity to 2000 fps, only a heavy bullet is going to cycle the action. Probably need a custom mold, too, since nobody has brains enough to figure this out.
Plenty of people have more than enough brains to figure things out. Simple things, like the fact that a 100-grain bullet won't feed from AR magazines; so it turns your gun into a manually-operated, single-shot firearm. No, you don't need a custom mold; there are commercial .224 molds made up to 100 grains, and maybe even beyond. And really - you're going to use paper-patched bullets in an AR15? Sure, you could do it. You could also use minie balls from the 1800's. But why would you WANT to...?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Plenty of people have more than enough brains to figure things out. Simple things, like the fact that a 100-grain bullet won't feed from AR magazines; so it turns your gun into a manually-operated, single-shot firearm. No, you don't need a custom mold; there are commercial .224 molds made up to 100 grains, and maybe even beyond. And really - you're going to use paper-patched bullets in an AR15? Sure, you could do it. You could also use minie balls from the 1800's. But why would you WANT to...?
I wonder how much crap would end up in the gas tube from this? I have no idea, other than it seems pretty stupid on every level imaginable. But he is pretty consistent about wanting to turn his crippled gun into a single shot.

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
Not all of us are glued to a fantasy where the 5.56mm is the be all, end all. In the last 6 weeks I have put at least 2,000+ rds down range in .22, .38 Spl, .44 Mag, .45LC, .30 Carbine, 6.5x55mm & .30/30. While I have not found a cast bullet manufacturer yet that says they are out of product, Powder is still easy to find, just the choice is a little smaller, but Primers seem to be the real problem for those that didn't think ahead.

Reactions: Dorobuta and BigEd

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Paper patched bullet? I had to look twice to make sure I wasn't in a black powder forum. Only Melvin.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
given the price of 223 ammo and unavaiiabiilty of the bullets for reloading. Probably airsoft and .177 sales are way up, too. and silencers, actuall. All mean you need less practice ammo for 223. I see lots of frustration of guys trying to powder coat and paper patch gas checked 223 case bullets, without having enough brains to use 1 in 7 rifling twist and a 100 gr flat point bullet. Since you have to hold the velocity to 2000 fps, only a heavy bullet is going to cycle the action. Probably need a custom mold, too, since nobody has brains enough to figure this out.
Where did you see James Yeager recommending an SBR-length 223 with silencer?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts