Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Does anyone know if one can buy the khukris direct from the forgers of HI knives? I have a family friend in Nepal that will be coming to visit my mother next year and am wondering if I should ask him to bring one over...

thanks,
Erik

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. The fellow that we know is named Shree and is 100% Nepali so he will know the local customs, etc. and can ask for a good blade meant to be a user and not just a display piece.

I've been interested in khukris for a long time... interestingly, I recently became interested in bladesmithing and am pounding out a piece of 5160 as a hybrid khukri/machete (less of a bend and dramatic leaf shape than the standard khuk). My first experiment with differential heat treating (tempering is when you soften it a bit in the oven and can't be zone isolated) was successful in a 7" or so blade... but it was a PITA to keep it relegated to the area I wanted to quench as opposed to dipping the entire blade. I can't even imagine how hard it would be... or how big of a tank you would need to differentially heat treat a khukri.

From what I have been reading about them (recently rekindled my interest) they are a great all around user. I'm also interested in the type of steel that they use at HI... 5160 .6% carbon and 1% Cr... great for a tough blade (higher carbon content is good for smaller knives but more prone to breakage, less carbon and you lose the edge...1% Cr gives the steel a better ability to respond to multiple quenches and tempers) that's pretty much it. Any more alloys I'd think would complicate the heat treatment and you'd probably lose the ability to have any semblance of a hamon (zone of differeing hardness like you see on the japanese blades).

Perhaps the springs that HI uses are cleaner versions of 5160. The 10XX series it tricky to heat treat, anything else would probably be too expensive... I'm really interested in that stuff. FINALLY a subject I can talk a little bit about haha everything else is over my head.

cheers and thanks again for the info.

Erik

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.