Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that saves a lot of bulk, one lb of weight and $75. What I've found is that if I use a discrete Dakota fire pit to heat rocks, or use the UCO lantern at my feet, beewax candle ONLY) sitting in the 1 lb net hammock, rigged as a "sling-chair" I can dry out the small amount of debris needed to stuff between the two 1/4 lb each bugnet suits, Wearing that assembly as longjohns gains me 10F. What makes the difference is the 1/2 lb camo net, wrapped around me, inside of the bivy. This prevents the moisture of the debris from contacting me, via touching the bivy. The XL variant of the 2GoSystems bivy weighs 1.5 lb. the three 55 gallon drum liners total half a lb, the UCO, stakes, tape, and cordage total half a lb. 4.5 lb total.

I use the 3rd drum liner, folded back on itself 3x, with the wadded up bugnet suits around my feet, the 2 taped together drum liners around the bivy, and sleep ok in the hammock at 34 F, in wind and rain with it rigged normally, but 3" off of the ground, debris kicked up under the hammock to stop air flow, and damp debris between the bivy and drum liners. If the debris is dry and I can stuff some between the liners and bivy and also wear some of it between the bugnet suits, I can sleep ok at 15F i the hammock. Being up off of the cold, damp ground, is a BIG deal. It's also helpful in swamps, flood situations, and to be cooler in the summer. If you get up high enough there's usually some breeze, Dampen the bugnet suit and that helps cool you.

I had to add a much stiffer, wider belt, with hip pads to the buttpack, making it weigh 1 lb and the daypack is 1.5 lbs. I stuff them with debris and use them as sleeping pads, normally in the hammock. These temps are recorded with a heavy jacket representing the soft armor, cammies, shemagh, unlaced shoes, socks, sock liners,boxers, T shirt, gloves. The packs are made of heavy enough material that I can get away with using twigs as "stuffings', if I shake the water off of them. Even wet debris suffices to hold apart the drum liners from the bivy, helping vs wind and rain.

9 lbs for the sleeping/shelter gear, packs, and extra clothing. pretty good for being able to handle sleeping at 15F, without a heat source, or 0F with a discrete heat-source. The rocks of course have to be re-heated every 2-3 hours. The PEVA oval, taped across the open end of the bivvies, a safe 3 ft from the one way projected heat of a Siberian fire lay, lets me handle sleeping 2-3 hours, given the hot rocks and other stuff outlined above. It's never that cold here, and only rarely below 20F. I HAVE seen a couple of nights in a row at below 0F, in 12 years of living here. That's rare enough that needing a fire is no big deal and it's also cold enough to keep people indoors, especially at nght.

By "aiming' the clear PEVA at the 10 am sun, the greenhouse effect of the reflective bivy lets me be 20F warmer at 10Am than it was at dawn (ie, 7 am in the winter, here) So the fact that it got down to 0F at night doesn't mean anything. Rocks, heated just before dawn, the fire snuffed, will get me thru the cold morning hours until the sun does its thing. So if I had to shiver/exercise my way thru the night, I can still sleep from 11 am to 5-6 pm. that's enough rest to carry on thru the night. The versatility of this setup, and the fact that none of it is effected by its getting wet, makes it very appealing. Most use a 3 lb frame pack, 4 lbs of extra clothing, 1 lb of sleeping pad, 3 lbs of down sleeping bag for such cold, a 1 lb poncho, and have nothing for the heat and bugs of summer.

Since all of my stuff can be worn as clothing/ponchos, and the bivy and liners can be deployed as tarps/canopies. while the camo net can be a wind-block, the versatility of this set up is un-matched, when the weight and bulk are held as small as mine are.

I can strap most of the gear to the outside of the day pack, with the sleep shelter gear lashed between the packs, serving as a pack frame. All can be hidden under the drum liner if need be, but if you have to be concerned about how you look, it's best to hide during the day, using the camo net, and move only at night.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I'm glad it works for you, but realize it is not the end all, be all for all geographical locations in North America.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Super Moderator
2,534 Posts
when did you discover you could do this? hasn't the weather been pretty mild where you are? which soft armor are you using? and your use of packs as pads in the hammock doesn't sound too comfy to me -> I use a hammock when camping sometimes, so I have some experience with them.

shivering and exercising to stay warm means the burning of a lot of calories - what are you using for food?

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Experimentation is good, but have to be careful of expectations. I like the Dakota fire pit but there are places where it doesn't work due to terrain; sand, rock, etc. Usually one can be done, but not always. I have to ask - when you talk about drying out enough debris to stuff between two layers of clothing using just a candle between your feet, have you actually tried this to see how long it takes?

·
Super Moderator
2,534 Posts
Experimentation is good, but have to be careful of expectations. I like the Dakota fire pit but there are places where it doesn't work due to terrain; sand, rock, etc. Usually one can be done, but not always. I have to ask - when you talk about drying out enough debris to stuff between two layers of clothing using just a candle between your feet, have you actually tried this to see how long it takes?
Seems like a good way to set yourself on fire…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts