Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While digging through my original boxes and handgun carrying cases I noticed one of the TX22 boxes rattled. Thinking it was one of those locks that are included with guns now. Lo and behold a suppressor adaptor I had been whining about. I checked the other box, nope, just the one. Now I need one for the S&W .22 Compact.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
I love excel for that. My gun junk is on an excel spreadsheet that I started years ago; originally just for keeping track of various chronograph readings and muzzle energy levels of different loads. Over time it's progressed into having more than 20 tabs with everything from powder inventory, primer inventory, casting lead inventory, serial numbers of some guns, muzzle-energy readings of various calibers & loads, pistol magazines, rifle magazines, dimensional comparisons of different carry pistols, logs of which 22 pistols like which loads, leosa card info, all kinds of info that accumulates over time. It's the only way I can keep track with any degree of accuracy, for things like "9mm on hand", ".22LR on hand", "handguns sold", etc. Looking at it earlier this week I found that I'd sold & given away more ammo than I realized in the last year, so that's on hold for a while unless a special case comes up.

Exel works well for any kind of inventory tracking; I also use it for stored food on hand, rechargeable batteries, etc. It points out gaps in things - like seeing that while you have (big number) of a given caliber on hand, you only have (tiny number) of JHP's/subsonics/whatever in that caliber. On the other side, it's also more than once kept me from impulse-buying something that a quick glance at the spreadsheet confirmed we had plenty of.

Very big fan of excel for inventory-type things.

·
Registered
10,295 Posts
I was in my ammo lockers yesterday trying to figure how much ammo I used this year and how much time I am going to have to set aside for reloading. In Cowboy matches alone my wife and I used barely 1,000 rds each for pistol and 1,000 rds for rifle. We normally start the season with at least 3,200 rds for rifle and 3,200 rds for pistols. Hope this covid lockdown stops next year.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I was in my ammo lockers yesterday trying to figure how much ammo I used this year and how much time I am going to have to set aside for reloading. In Cowboy matches alone my wife and I used barely 1,000 rds each for pistol and 1,000 rds for rifle. We normally start the season with at least 3,200 rds for rifle and 3,200 rds for pistols. Hope this covid lockdown stops next year.
I really want it to but with all the imbedded politics of it I don't see that happening.☹
I'm at the moment pondering another re-evaluation of both long and short term plans.🙄

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
I really want it to but with all the imbedded politics of it I don't see that happening.☹
I'm at the moment pondering another re-evaluation of both long and short term plans.🙄
Someone sent me this yesterday:
Font Circle Darkness Monochrome photography Brand

·
Registered
10,295 Posts
I'm hoping the border opens on the 21st of Sept, but I'm not holding my breath. It really would be nice to shoot one match in Montana this year.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
I'm hoping the border opens on the 21st of Sept, but I'm not holding my breath. It really would be nice to shoot one match in Montana this year.
I'm hoping all the closures come to a halt pretty soon. May sound silly & selfish, but in March we paid for an April 2020 cruise that got cancelled. Rescheduled and re-cancelled four times now (Sept 2020, November 2020, May 2021, and even one for April 2022); all of which have been cancelled. It'd be great to actually go on one while my wife's still up to it.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
On the inventorying thing, encountered another example today of why I'd be lost without it. Checking on .45 colt ammo because of receiving the uberti rifle back from the gunsmith, I found that I had less loaded rounds on hand than I thought. Apparently I've put more thru the revolvers than I realized. Also don't have hardly any .45 caliber bullets cast & ready for reloading. Have plenty of lead, brass, powder & primers, but I'll have to pace myself shooting-wise on this caliber until I can get some time to crank out some more, which may be around thanksgiving or even christmas... (I need to work up some lower-power playing around loads anyway, so I can use some of the time to look into load options with the particular powders I have handy.)

If I didn't have it inventoried, I would probably have assumed I had more on hand than I really do and might have run myself short before I realized it.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Yesterday I came across another example of why documenting and inventorying things is a good idea. I'd completely forgotten (because they're not in the spreadsheet) about having some modified .45LC brass that have had the primer pockets enlarged for 209 shotgun primers to fire wax 'cowboy fast draw' bullets, using just the primer itself as the propellant; no powder:

Household hardware Cylinder Nickel Gas Auto part

I haven't used them in more than a year, and just happened to see a box of them yesterday. They won't work in the levergun but do fine in the revolvers and will let me do some amount of holster work without depleting my stash of real ammo, since I don't think I'll get to do much if any reloading in the next couple months. (Won't be doing much at all gun-related in the next month or so; having the surgery on my second foot later this week which will have my fairly well gimped for at least several weeks. It's an annoyance, but it'll be very good to have it all done, I've put it off longer than I really should have.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
In the fwiw category, coming across those 'primer-only' .45LC wax bullets reminded me of when I shot one at a piece of plywood out of curiosity. Actually the plywood side of one of my cheap home-made tool cabinets, but it was pretty stout 3/4" BC grade stuff, and got a surprising crater from the wax bullet with just the 209 primer propelling it. They say the 209 primers will push those wax bullets something like 600fps; and if using them with .38spl brass, will push a .38 wax bullet nearly 1,000 fps. It's been 4-5 years ago, but this was with the .45LC wax bullet and 209 primer at 8-10 feet or so. It impressed me, being that it's just wax, soft enough that you can score with a fingernail. If I had to shoot rats in a basement, these might be what I'd choose.

Brown Wood Grey Beige Grass
Textile Wood Sleeve Beige Grey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts