Arms Locker banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Not the best picture......but I made it myself.

I've been needing a new bullet bag to carry my birdshot when I go rabbit/squirrel hunting. Last night my wife and I were at Walmart and I picked up a rawhide dog bone, some brown shoe dye, and a quick trip to the music store got me a fiddle peg for a bass.

I came home last night and soaked the rawhide bone. When it became soft I cut it to shape and sewed it together. Then I packed it as full of birdshot as I could and left it in the sun to dry. Once it was hard again, I put some leather dye on it and viola! My new hand made bullet bag.

The stopper doesn't fit quite tight enough. You can see that one side is sewn differently than the other. I wasn't sure how best to sew it at first. I figured it out when I did the other side. I'll resoak it tomorrow and sew the other side tighter. I just wanted to get the pic up tonight.

Total cost was around 8 bucks. These sell for about $20-25 at reenactments. I'm kinda tickled. :)

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
What a clever idea! Making your own stuff is fun and it looks good. Good job.

RIKA

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
That looks beautiful!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Cool, I wondered how they carried shot back then.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

I've resewn it today, waiting for it to dry again as we speak.

I think I'll make a few more. I spent most of the day thinking about how to improve it. I think I'll slip a 1 inch dowl rod into the neck of the next....maybe a little beading around the edges to boot.

I'm watching the history channel's new show on George Washington right now. Looking for guys I know......

I was in a battle that the history channel filmed at Ft Necessity a couple of years ago.....I'm hoping they used the footage for this new show. I may be a star!

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
Excellent!!!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
That's cool! Nice design, clever way to find materials. Not only does it look good, you get the pride of making it yourself.

I tip my hat to you sir.

:devil:

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
That is awesome! I love the idea - I may just try it out myself one of these days. Of course, with my "skills" I'll probably just wind up with an replica 18th century sap. :)

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Rawhide dog bone. I do occasional leatherwork, but I'd never thought of that.

Very good one.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I read that some people use cheap leather coats bought at garage sales for projects.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John in AR said:
Very good one.
It works fine. It really is raw hide, nothing artificial.

I've always wanted to try tanning a piece of it.....should make good thick leather for knife sheaths and such.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RIKA said:
I read that some people use cheap leather coats bought at garage sales for projects.RIKA
I'm a thrift store junkie. My favorite finds are wool coats......like the ones old women wear. You can usually pick them up for a couple of bucks. There's about 40 dollars worth of wool in there though.

I'm cheap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts