Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a photographer all my adult life. Was a PH in the Navy, got a degree in Illustrative Photography from Brooks Institute, freelanced for twenty years, was hired by a corporation three years ago, got downsized in June and am again a freelancer. When I was downsized, I knew I was going to miss the weekly check and the benefits, so I cast about for new jobs, applying to many things that interest me including state jobs for Tennessee. Apparently I have been accepted to test for State Trooper.
This is kinda interesting to me, the independent nature of the job, firearms being integral, lotsa stick time on the road, etcetera.
Now, should I pursue this what's being a 51 year old State Trooper recruit gonna be like, I wonder?
SatCong

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Being a State Trooper is pretty cool and I'll bet the pay is good too. I'm not sure that being 51 years makes a lot of difference. Congrats on the job offer.

:beer:

RIKA

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Sounds like a good opurtunity.Unless you have to move that is.

So,you gonna change your name to Smokey now?:)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
SatCong said:
Now, should I pursue this what's being a 51 year old State Trooper recruit gonna be like, I wonder?
SatCong
At your age, they probably won't let you drive the patrol car at night. :dgrin:

Seriously, that's great news. Go after it and post a diary of sorts here.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Good luck Sat whatever you decide.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think you should do it, America needs more good law enforcement officers. My parents have actually been trying to convince me to become a cop.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I hope to retire before 51, but I wish youall the best if you go for it. If you are in good physical shape it would probably be a fairly easy academy. They do tend to make the physical stuff amenable to the younger bucks though. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Hey I've retired twice already and I just turned 49. Well only two more retirements to go for. Civil service then Old age!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I took the test yesterday, all I know, right now, is that I passed. It was not nearly so easy as I thought it would be. I'll submit a DD214 for a 5 point bonus score, and wait to hear about the next step. The class convenes in January, so there is some lead time, here. I wonder when I'll get the neat hat? Seriously, thanks folks, for all the encouragement.
SatCong

·
Registered
611 Posts
Glad to hear you passed. What're you gonna' be doing before class starts?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The whole thing is a process. If they like me now, I'll receive a packet in the mail telling me when and where to go for the next step--an interview, I believe. Next? Who knows? I'll find out as I progress, I suppose. Until then, I'll keep freelancing as a photog, and try to keep the cash flowing. I'll probably step-up my PE, so if I do go forward, I'll be fit enough not to embarass my old self.
SatCong

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
How do they handle teir retirement system, SatCong? In Federal LEO service you have to be 37 or under because 57 is mandatory retirement age.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
thats what came to mind , the age[i was to old for border patrol, when i wanted to apply]

good luck !

thanks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Retirement/age considerations? I just don't know. I guess, with the meat grinder in Iraq on-going, some of the younger studs who would be in-line for the job are otherwise occupied. This may work FOR me in a kind of grizzly way, although the thought brings me little comfort. I was interested in the air marshal program, but am over their age requirements. It would be satisfying to be able to make some contribution, though.
SatCong

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Good luck on you ,Cong;
Up here in the Peoples Republic of Mass.,I was attemptinng to get hired all throughout most of my 30's.BS in Criminal Justice,10 points preference(SC of 20%), used tobe bi lingual.....oh yeash, scores from 88 to 98% on State&other civil service gigs.No go.....up here preference means nothing if its not the "right type". I thought it would change,both due tosucession of RINO governo'r ,and the state of war this country is in. But no joy......maybe another state, but i'm 40 now&aged out for Masachusetts&most Federal gigs. Got screwed of a federal dog handeler job with Customs& Border patrol when that false criminal filing was made against me. The background check got screwed up due to it, and( I was below the age cutoff at the start), they can't restart THAT clock.WTH, I probably would have l had the same luck there as I did in garrison....spilled milk and all that.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Come on down south, Grip, we still got some state's rights that seem to hold a little water, and that independent attitude makes the south a little more reasonable for real world considerations, as far as I see it.
Thanks for the kudos,
SatCong

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Thanks for the invite; sometime (when i've closed out my family &financial obligations)I I actually would like to relocate someplace Souther, Warmer and Freer.
Cover your Six and rock steady on your new gig!Good Luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts