Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Registered
What, the hell, did I just watch? Personally, I would have rather watched an original BAR in action, along with a whole lot less theatrics! $5,000 + dollar purchase price, too; and, even worse, it's definitely got all the wrong characteristics for most MOUT or urban work.

(Ask the Israelis who are well known to have abandoned their FAL's, and developed the Tavor for fighting both in and outside of city environments, and a fully set up Tavor can be had for about half the price of that thing I just watched!)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed about MOUT/Urban operations. But I disagree with you regarding the FN FAL's! Personally I humped an FN C1A1 and an FN C2A1 for over 13 years, from the west coast of Canada to the Egyptian deserts, from Fort Wainwright Alaska (in Jan/Feb) to exercises in Ft Lewis & Yakima in Washington state. The only time it failed was when you tried to use one of those stupid 30 rd mags with either gun. With the 20 rds mags they worked flawlessly, plus I bought my own Australian L1A1 that I used for competition out to 500 yds and regarding accuracy, in the '80's it edged out the M16A1's out at 500 yds on service condition matches.

Reactions: BigEd

Registered
First thought is "that would be a blast to play with". 馃榿 Second thought is 'no thanks'. Much like swimming pools, I still enjoy them but have absolutely no desire to have one to have to deal with again myself.

I'm leaning more & more toward smaller calibers anymore. Heaviest rifle caliber I own is one .308 and I don't even shoot that much at all; am just keeping it because one of my sons took his first deer with it and I told him it would be his someday.

That HCAR looks like a very capable beast, but for someone else. To me it would mean a new caliber, new magazines, etc; just too much new stuff involved. BUT... if I were into .30-06, that would definitely be tempting. No rational reason for it in my personal situation, but it absolutely would.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the problem, with being an aging shooter, you have to find a rational reason to buy stuff!

Super Moderator
Yeah, like almost three years ago a local gun shop had a semi auto built M2 Browning .50caliber.
Very tempting....then reality hit me.馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Currently, I found a Ruger Blackhawk for sale up here, in .30 Carbine and I'm trying to talk some reality into myself.

Registered
Headgear plus earplugs to shoot that thing, sunglasses too! LOUD an big muzzle blast. Got rid of mine years ago.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what are the positive things about buying a .30 Carbine Blackhawk?

Registered
Wallet will be lighter. Cheap surplus ammo is gone. Is it the old model or newer one with transfer bar?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No idea, currently have 1,800 rds of reloaded .30 Carbine, 359 empty cases to be reloaded and enough powder, primers and bullets to load 1,365 more rounds.

Registered
So what are the positive things about buying a .30 Carbine Blackhawk?
Because it would be your only single-action revolver that will defeat soft body armor - because your pistol's ability to penetrate concealable armor is apparently a huge consideration in the post-apocalyptic world. 馃槑

And this was done not just from a pistol, but with softpoints from a pistol:

Registered
Agreed about MOUT/Urban operations. But I disagree with you regarding the FN FAL's! Personally I humped an FN C1A1 and an FN C2A1 for over 13 years, from the west coast of Canada to the Egyptian deserts, from Fort Wainwright Alaska (in Jan/Feb) to exercises in Ft Lewis & Yakima in Washington state. The only time it failed was when you tried to use one of those stupid 30 rd mags with either gun. With the 20 rds mags they worked flawlessly, plus I bought my own Australian L1A1 that I used for competition out to 500 yds and regarding accuracy, in the '80's it edged out the M16A1's out at 500 yds on service condition matches.
Calm down! You're not disagreeing with me; you're disagreeing with the Israeli IDF, instead. Besides neither I, myself, nor the IDF ever say that the FN FAL did not work. The reason the IDF got away from FAL's is because troops found them to be too unwieldy to use quickly and well inside of urban environments. The Tavor, on the other hand, with its multiple barrel and forend configurations has been working out well for them.

• Haha
Reactions: Garand

Super Moderator
I'll just add they do make a TAVOR-7 in 7.62x51mm.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Because it would be your only single-action revolver that will defeat soft body armor - because your pistol's ability to penetrate concealable armor is apparently a huge consideration in the post-apocalyptic world. 馃槑

And this was done not just from a pistol, but with softpoints from a pistol:
Now how many people do you think, after "the day" will have body armour?

Reactions: John in AR

Super Moderator
Several probably.
But it doesn't matter much if they get hypoxia and die wrapped up in hefty trash bags. While using said soft armor as a sleeping pad.

Registered
Now how many people do you think, after "the day" will have body armour?
Probably some, but being such a small percentage of people, after "a day" which we almost certainly will not see in our lifetimes, and with most people already having guns (from modern AR's to 1800's-design leverguns) that do defeat soft armor, it's not a problem I'm going to put a lot of time into solving. Heck, even the glock 19 with 22tcm kit will defeat any soft armor up to IIIA; never mind what rifles would do to it... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts