Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
revolvers, one a New Service Colt DA, and the other a Ruger Blackhawk. I was never at all impressed with its performance on animals, until I loaded a 260 gr swc to 1200 fps. That load did a fair job, but it was utterly uncontrolable, just like such huger revolvers are utter PITA's for concealed carry.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
u've never FIRED a 70gr .45 prefrag, 2300

fps, out of an alloy compact autoloader. much less tried it on animals. :) All you have to do,in order to see that I'm correct, is make such bullets, get a fully supported 1911 barrel ($50 if you ask around) get it reamed to 460, and load them over 13.0-13.5 grs of Bullseye. Size them .453", so that they will build a bit of pressure and velocity, instead of just squirting out of the barrel at 2000 fps, as they will if sized at .451". :)

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
u WONT get fast repeat hits, heavy .45 colt

loads, even in a huge, heavy revolver. Nor will you conceal that big clunk worth a hoot, except under a parka. Looks a bit strange, wearing a parka when it's over 60 degrees, which it ALWAYS is indoors. Where put (huge, heavy) gun and rig, when remove coat indoors, hmm? Doesn't just slip into a pants pocket, as you approach the door.

When the weather's bad, HOW (swiftly) access a gun that's buried under BOTH the "indoor" concealing garment, AND the heavy, FASTENED SHUT outer garment, hmmm? CAN just "palm" the pocket pistol and rig out of pants pocket, and into the coat pocket (using the velcro on rig and pocket to position it properly in the pocket, and KEEP it in the pocket, when drawing the gun).

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
356 TSW pocket more effective than .45 Colt

swcs', and that can be proven, on animals. A 55 gr prefrag, at 2200 fps, offers a tremendous amount of shock and tissue destruction, while remaining 4-5 hits per second controlable (depending upon range and gun used) The Kahr PM9 is a bit light and DAO triggers a bit slow, compared to the "chopped" Star, but nobody but me is going to spend $3000 on a ccw gun. They'd rather get killed for not spending more than $300 on such a gun, and on having ABILITY with same, and spend $3000 on something as silly as a double barreled shotgun, big screen tv, .50 bmg rifle, etc.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Oh, I don't know. Unless you are an undercover secret agent or something along that line, how many times do you REALLY think you will use that $3,000 ccw gun and take advantage of all those hours of training? If your life is full of that much excitement, what are you doing behind the keyboard? Aren't there people LOOKING for you? Seems to me that lifestyle would make you a boatload of enemies. You just don't go out shooting people without somebody getting pissed about it.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the first place, the gun cost me $400

or less,counting the special parts,luminous sights,etc, and in the second place,maybe YOUR life aint worth it,but mine is. You have many times that amount of $in what amount to "plinker" .50 bmg's, since you are never going to use them for what they are intended. That superbly effecient pocket pistol can ALWAYS be present, and if it's NEVER needed,so what? 95+% of the time, I could make a M21 Beretta .22 suffice just fine, ya know. Because 90+% of the time, just the "bluff" of pointing a gun at people makes them stop their bs, HALF of the time, a fast pair of 22's to the chest does so, and somebody as skilled and aware as I am can get head hits, FASTER than the typical bozo can get chest hits with something like a .38 snub. :) The Star 356 is chosen mostly because of its AP capability, and the fact that I have a million drysnaps and draws, and over 200 k live rds,thru cocked and locked SA auto pistols. So it lets me have about double the "reach" that I'd have with a DAO pistol, like the Kahr. Which is to say (realistically swiftly enough) 10 yds instead of 5 yds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts