Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I missed it in the theatre & couldn't wait for it to get out on DVD.

It was worth the wait.Holy cow!Talk about a SHTF movie![mebee jest a wee lil' stretch :nyah: ]

Civilian Americans NEED full auto!There is one scene that I imagined could have made an excellent use for a full auto 12 gauge w/50 round,buckshot filled,magazine.

Ving Rhames w/an 870!Kool!

Zombie flicks scare the crap out of me!It took forever to get to a light,restless sleep last night.I was still looking over my shoulder when I took my dogs out at six this morning!Yikes!

Awesome!Awesome!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I love those movies too. Night of the Living Dead is my favorite - both the original and the remake. Gives me the creepies. :D

RIKA

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I bought it yesterday and watched it last night as well. Got the "Director's Cut" which has 10 or 15 minutes of additional footage in it. (Finally shows how they got INTO the mall itself, which wasn't shown at the theater, iirc; as well as a few character-defining things.)

Makes you want a hi-cap semi-auto, that's for sure. Those head shots can be a problem when there's a hundred of them coming at you at a run. (Obviously spoken from my vast experience in dealing with zombie-hordes...)

I like Ving Rhames, and I've posted this before when I saw it at the theater, but his pump shotgun seemed a very poor choice to me. Especially when they make it into the gun store, and have a little bit of breather time & can pick basically whatever they want. The shotgun was great for the "head-shot-required" aspect of things, but only held 5+1, (when they were often facing a WHOLE lot of undead), was tube-fed (slower to reload than a detachable-mag gun), and was a pump (slower to fire and harder-recoiling than an auto).

An interesting question I had when I first saw the movie and thought about the weapons side of things, was "What would I want my wife & kids to have?" in that kind of situation. They're not 'serious shooters', and recoil, simplicity, and capacity would be bigger issues for them than for me. Ideally, the "nearly perfect" gun IMO for them would be something along the lines of:

- a magazine-fed semi-auto shotgun; the Saiga comes to mind. (The reason for a shotgun would be to allow some margin for error on head shots.) Either light 12-gauge light "tactical buckshot" or even .410 (less recoil) buckshot loads.

- a low-to-medium power, magazine-fed semi-auto, even down to .22LR, since you've got to head-shoot them anyway. I'd like something more than a .22, but I'd really DISLIKE a 5-shot pump gun.

A pistol-caliber carbine using hi-cap mags, even one of Remington's 4- or 5-shot regular hunting autos (742/7400?) along with a couple spare mags would give more (and faster) on-hand firepower than a pump 12-gauge, and would probably recoil less.

A Calico in 9mm or even .22LR, or an "American 180" .22LR semi-auto with 180- and 270-round magazines..?

With all the indoor shooting that went on, a lower-power weapon wouldn't be as damaging (from noise) as a full-power centerfire rifle or even shotgun.

To arm them based on what I have now; first choice would be the .30 carbines with a bunch of mags. Low recoil, low blast, decent power, small size, light weight, and compact. Second/third choices would be the MAK-90 with a bunch of 30-rounders and/or 10-22 with the three 25-rounders; .30 carbines for the wife & 13-year old, 10-22 for the 9-year old.

(Hopefully, this won't be an issue any time real soon... ;) )

For myself, if I had to choose one of what I personally own now? My CAR-15, as it has fast reloads, good capacity, low recoil, and the suppressor to take the edge off the blast, as there was a lot of indoor shooting. Also the .22 conversion would allow low-profile 'sniping' without revealing your presence.

Without a suppressor, a CAR would be just horrendously loud indoors, maybe even debilitatingly so.

That's it. That's the extent of my knowledge and opinions on zombie-fighting when holed up in a shopping mall.

Maybe the Mall Ninja will pipe in here and tell us how to really do it... :duck:

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Raider said:
I love those movies too. Night of the Living Dead is my favorite - both the original and the remake. Gives me the creepies. :D

RIKA

I didn't catch that at first. They re-made Night of the Living Dead?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frankly I'm just happy that they showed firearms in a more or less positive light.

Imagine being trapped in a gunstore.Basically unlimited ammo supply with a gazillion targets available from the rooftop....

It'd stink something fierce after a couple of days.The street would be awash with body goo.Icky!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John in AR said:
I didn't catch that at first. They re-made Night of the Living Dead?
Yeah,& it's not bad either.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I'll have to check on that. I came across the re-release of it a couple years ago; the 30th or 35th "anniversary edition". It had 10 or 20 minutes of new footage (stupid footage, obviously shot with modern equipment, but in black & white :rolleyes: ), but it wasn't a re-make. Paid $2.99 for it and ended up throwing it in the trash, it was that bad.

Bring me up to speed on the remake, so I know what I'm looking for. When it was made, who's in it, (same title?), etc.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Ok, so it's worth picking up... I guess I'll pick it up today...

thanks!

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Are any of you people playing the game Doom3? So far the part of it that gives me the creeps the most is when those damned big spiders are jumping at me and I have to reload the shotgun..... Yeah, a semi-auto rather then a pump would be MUCH better.

Guess I am going to have to pick up that movie, Dawn of the Dead. Of course, everytime my wife watches one of those, she sticks to me like glue, being afraid to go into a dark room by herself. When we lived in Baltimore, it would be WEEKS before she would go down to the basement by herself after watching a scary movie.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
41Mag -

Sure enough, you're right. I was driving past a Best Buy in little rock an hour or so ago, and figured I'd stop in & check on the re-make of "Night".

There it was bigger than life, alphabetically in place & all. Don't know how I've never seen it before, unless I just passed ut btm assuming it was the original. Either that, or they just recently stocked it to accompany the "Dawn" release.

Made in 1990, no actors I recognized, but went ahead and bought it anyway. Can't have an incomplete collection, you know...

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Rich Z said:
Are any of you people playing the game Doom3? So far the part of it that gives me the creeps the most is when those damned big spiders are jumping at me and I have to reload the shotgun..... Yeah, a semi-auto rather then a pump would be MUCH better.
My son just beat the game....I'm waiting for the MAC version, as that's where my heaviest hardware is.

Have you downloaded any of the patches, like the hellokitty flashlight? You get a weapon mounted flashlight that displays hellokitty on the target.

:devil:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
All of the Doom trilogy (and add-ons, and add-ons, and add-ons, and. . .) kicked ass, plain and simple. 'Nuff said on that.

The remake of Night of the Living Dead is definitely a remake that didn't suck.

I really like the Evil Dead series. Not a real "serious" monster movie series, but there's some things that I'm convinced only Bruce Campbell can pull off in a movie.

How about Resident Evil? I thought it was fair, but not enough scary parts, and when the zombies finally came out, they weren't scary, it was just a slasher from there. Anyone see the second one in the theatres?

As for weapons, I don't get it with a lot of movie makers and people in general. Let's face it, the optimal weapon is a flame-thrower. Why worry about head shots when you can just burn 'em down? And of course all Doom fans just must have their Personal Defense Chainsaw handy.

:flamethr::devil:

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
If you like Bruce Cambell, and aren't looking for a serious monster movie, check out Bubba Ho-Tep.

Bruce is Elvis, not an impersonator, but the real deal, who switched places with an impersonator. Now he's in a old folks home and has to deal with a Mummy.

Not a great movie, mind you, but an interesting one in a warped sort of way...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
.45 COLT said:
It wasn't the movie, it's those damned onions.
ROFL!

It's all good! :dgrin:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Magnum88C said:
I really like the Evil Dead series. Not a real "serious" monster movie series, but there's some things that I'm convinced only Bruce Campbell can pull off in a movie.

Bruce Campbell is waaaay underrated.I love his movies.

It cracked me up when he announced that his Remington boomstick was made in Grand Rapids Mi.My home town!

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Aslan said:
If you like Bruce Cambell, and aren't looking for a serious monster movie, check out Bubba Ho-Tep.
I saw that on the rack. . .wasn't sure if I wanted to pick it up or not.

41 mag said:
Bruce Campbell is waaaay underrated.I love his movies.

It cracked me up when he announced that his Remington boomstick was made in Grand Rapids Mi.My home town!
LOL, Army of Darkness has to be a Classic.

"Shop smart, shop S-Mart."

"Good, or bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

"Klaatu, Baratta Nic(cough, cough, cough). . . . .Oh come on! I said the words! I did!"

"You had be shackled, beaten and thrown in that pit. Now you want a kiss? Blow."

"Gimme some sugar, baby."

Oh God, the first time I saw that movie was in college. Imagine 20 drunk college guys watching that friggin movie. :roflmao1:

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Bubba Ho-Tep is definately on the weirder side of things. It's not a great movie, and is slow in parts. But, it's bizzare enough for my tastes.

It's not a movie like army of darkness that you can watch over and over again, but it does have it's points. (provided you've enough of a warped perspective on life.)

I really like their twist on the JFK assasination - I'd say what it is, but it would spoil the movie.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I saw dawn of the dead in the theatres, and the whole time I was either thinking:

A) Damn rabies

-or-

B) Where's the f'n Napalm? It'd be much more cost effective to napalm those hoardes rather than shoot at them. They all should've been using lots and lots of flame throwers, if you've seen "True Lies," you'd know they could've of made one from those tanks of propane.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only problem w/using a flamethrower on a zombie is that traditionally,zombies are still ambulatory even while they are cooking.Dead=no pain=walking torch.Granted,they could succumb quicker while turning well done.I think that you'd need ALOT of heat.Like a fire hose in reverse.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts