Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying this and that, but then Ayn Rand taught me to think in terms of principles. I have such and such amount of time and money to devote to entertainment. I came to have NO entertainment but shooting, for several years. A couple of members here can attest to that. They saw it on a regular, personal level. I lived with one of them for several months. On one of the worst nights of his life, I knew it was coming before he did and I went to his home to be there for him. I saw him RIPPING down his alley in his Ford with camper, and I followed him around until he pulled in for gas. We went back to his house and had a pleasant evening.

One night at supper, he handed me an Issue LW Commander. I worked on it all night and when he came down for breakfast, it was on the table, done. :)

A guy we knew came to my friend's house, drunk and probably high, pulled a python out of a pistol case, pointing it at me, and I couild SEE it was loaded. I was wearing a Lw Commander in Arganbright's crossdraw, my hand twitched almost drawing (I was cocked and locked, but chamber empty) and Joe said "JOHN!" So I just left.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I began to think in terms of "what can this new make or model DO for me, which aint already being done by something that I already own"? Does that thing NEED to be done? do I gaf about that thing? Does the new type of gun force me to learn a new style of draw or shooting? is the advantage WORTH the price of the gun and the required different training? If not, why bother to buy it? And man, I see all these dozens of new guns, and the answer is "No they dont and aint, so I'm not gonna".

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but wtF are you, 40's, 50's, 60's, STILL stuck in that "gotta have this new one" mode of "thinking"? Especially if the best you can deliver is a class D performance at the matches? :) Why choose "collecting", over skill?

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
but wtF are you, 40's, 50's, 60's, STILL stuck in that "gotta have this new one" mode of "thinking"? Especially if the best you can deliver is a class D performance at the matches? :) Why choose "collecting", over skill?
Who are you talking to? Ayn Rand, the thinking convicts Heroine!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
A gas station on Clear Lake, think it only took about 5 to fill front tank back then.
That was a sharp LTWT Commander.
Guy with Python also had that other thing he sat in middle of table, remember that? He is in Hawaii. I got that one thing he had an finally you ended up with it. Remember his brother? He is in real bad shape.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I dunno. I like Ayn Rand, and find much of her work to be great-in principle.
As far as collecting vs shooting/ training/using I tend to combine... My " collection " seems to roll both way...but its funny- the newest firearm I may or may not possess was manufactured in the 1980's....as long as they all work and I can bit with them its all good.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the one who used to do the butterfly knife thing? how's Jill? she'd be 55 now, I guess? I don't recall the other thing you spoke of? I think our mutual friend ended up with the LWC and I did a bit more work on it. it would really group once i swaged open the bushing and fitted a barrel positioner to the slide. 1" for 5 shots, weaver, at 50 ft indoor range. plain old practice cast swc reloads. He offered to sell it to me at one point and I sure as hell should have bought and buried it.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Well," hard and fast" comes under the heading of " works"...with " fast enough " usually meaning " first " for me. I'm a big fan of " preemptively retaliating" :)

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Personally I have found out that my purchases are less and less and that I have more and more firearms that have been with me 15+ years. New and shiney is not that important. Your achievement in matches in a specific shooting discipline proves nothing. Move someone out of their comfort zone and even some top end competitors can fold. Therefore we get back to flexibility and versatility.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts