Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
using smoothbore muzzleloaders. The fact is, the TOP men all use smithed pcs, even when it AINT for blood. there's NO reason to settle for less than the very best, other than being an apathetic cheapskate, that is.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
All my personally owned guns are customized to my preferences. Not a single smoothbore among them.

RIKA

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
When I started in Service Rifle competition in 1986, there were only 2 modifications allowed on the rifle, it was a competition where marksmanship won the match, not who had the most expensive toys or had the best armourer. That said I have a nice selection of both stock firearms and those loaded with "bells and whistles". I am very capable with both.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
What's really ironic about that post, is that the original muzzle loaders and flintlocks were highly customized, beautifully crafted weapons.

Since each one was a custom hand build, and the gun smiths generally took the time to make each one a peice of art.

But, since they lacked a can and were not semi automatic, GK sees no value in them. Pretty sad.

And heaven forbid that anyone enjoy something that GK can't have or do. (legally or otherwise)

But we'll always hear about it from him, with the "appropriate drama" attached to his declaration that anything that isn't his way is just wrong.

:devil:

·
Registered
378 Posts
All firearms used to be custom, and there was no interchangeability between weapons. Everything was handmade, and alot of variations exsisted between arms made by the same smith, let alone different craftsmen. Eli Whitney changed that when he sold the "Department of War" on the concept of having machine made parts, and could assemble 12 weapons from a bundle of parts. Rifling was omitted on military weapons as a unecessary expense due to the way wafare was stylized at that time.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Kind of like what Holland and Holland still do. Just about everything on them is a one-off. If you need a simple pin replaced, you have to send the gun back, because there's no way to know the exact size they need.

But to be honest, I tend to like stock guns, and have spent some $$ on a few (Enfields) to return them to such condition.

Although I DO want a couple of Sharps rifles, decked out. Nothing wrong with "heirloom" guns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts