Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
watch it all day, I'd enter it at night, being very aware of booby trap potential, listen carefully for about an hour, go to sleep, and search it very stealthily the next dawn, spend the day there, leave after dark. Just blundering into buildings, post shtf, is going to get you killed. The sewers should be used into and out of towns, of course.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Given that you had a battery stolen from a car you were sleeping in at the time, sleeping in a strange building that you have not fully explored is foolish.

Checking for booby traps in the dark is not bright either. The use of a flash light may give away your presence.

Storm sewers or sanitary sewers?

Do you know how they are constructed and what the differences are?

What are the potential hazards involved?

People die all the time while working on them, and I'm not talking about cave-ins.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Most of the sanitary sewers in Phoenix are so small they use this little robot that's mainly a glorified RC electric car to check them out. Most of the newer cities are like that.

The storm drains have problems all of their own. I remember back in 1989 some dude fell into an older Phoenix storm drain system while drunk and he wandered for days before he found his way out. It almost killed him. He stayed alive by drinking filthy water.

Then there was the idiot who was exploring the tunnel system under the ASU campus (while drunk and with no flashlight) and wound up hugging a high voltage bus. He lived, amazingly, but it instantly roasted both of his arms to the bone. (ASU offered him a $3M settlement, his trailer trash family sued for $20M, they lost, and he wound up with nothing but government substinance aid and a pair of claws to wipe his ass with).

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Most sanitary sewers in the US are constructed that way. The exception is in the manhole, you have a througth and a bench so that the flow can be observed and so you can send cleaning / inspection gear through the pipe to the next manhole.

sewers can accumulate a surprising anmount of poisonous gases, many of which are odorless and displace oxygen. Your first clue is when you pass out.

Without a compass, a map, and some way to know how far you've traveled, how will you know when to exit the sewer into the city?

More movie tactics. Hollywood may look and sound cool, but hollywood will get you killed.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
yep, the sewers are generally screwed up here. Might work downtown, but there aren't a LOT of places with manhole covers. I know that the guys that do entry are trained to look for combustible gases like methane, O2, C02 levels, etc. Would probably work in other areas, however.

good info about the buildings. also, wonder if the same people that set traps would be ones to double or triple charge cartridges and leave them lying around for scroungers to get a nasty surprise... spike the water, etc. fun stuff.

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
Gunkid/erika describe the types of booby traps that you can find in a house. And suggestions for disarming them. This should be good!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Garand said:
Gunkid/erika describe the types of booby traps that you can find in a house. And suggestions for disarming them. This should be good!
Garand, I would love to see your comments after our survival guru has ample time to demonstrate that he knows nothing ... again.

RIKA

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
climb the 'weatherhead' to the roof.

then attack[you did pull up a backpack on rope with cordless sawzall/circlesaw] from the top down[geez, i'm not here to train you simpletons] then drop down into your favorite candy store!

sorry,your honur! it was a simple flashback of a past life! :eek:fftopic:

thanks, :sidestep:

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
well gunkid/erika? WE are all waiting!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Booby traps are usually found and disarmed by none other than boobies, thus making them safe for the rest of us at their peril!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The vast majority, maybe 99.9999% of anyone of the type of twits that would want to waste time and resources booby trapping some empty building would screw the job up, especially if they do not have access to supplies like decent explosives, det cord, caps, etc.

Bobby traps are a double edge sword and usually a LOT harder to make and be effective than what they show in the movies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts