Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Even though I am assuming that 90% or more of the people that go to websites like this one already know this, I think it bears repeating:

If it isn't tied to your pack, belt, bino harness, etc. You will lose it in the field. It's called dummy cord because you're a dummy if you don't use it.

Anything and everything that you think you will need, should have a lanyard or a cord tying it to something you won't lose.

I tend to wear a binocular harness / chest pouch when I hunt. This is because in the west it is mostly spot and stalk style of hunting. Attached to my bino harness is my rangefinder case. it is secured by a molle - belt loop adapter I designed and 3-D printed. The actual range finder is attached to the bio harness using a pig tail lanyard. it is coiled up like a telephone cord, and elastic so it stretches. I can use my range finder, let go of it and raise my rifle or my bow and take a shot without losing it. If it falls out of the pouch, i won't lose it and will probably notice the hard thing hitting my legs.

The point is, we will set things down, drop them, or have them bounce out of a pocket if we have to run, whatever. Using a dummy cord of some kind prevents losing stuff we care about.

Thing I typically have on some kind of lanyard when hunting:

Binos (chest harness)
range finder - attached to chest harness
GPS - attached to backpack
Multi-tool, attached to hunting belt with cord tucked into pouch.
utility knife - attached to belt

Then, I also carry spares of things not on a lanyard, like ammo, bow release, head lamps, batteries, multi-tool.

just something to think about.

BTW, the pigtail lanyards are awesome! they coil up and stay out of the way. I got mine at Fish Hunt Fight. (not affiliated with them in any way)
everything has a quick disconnect - so you can remove them from the lanyard if you want / need to.

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
One of the things I appreciate is the dummy cord that attaches to my 1911 when I am using web gear.

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I agree,. and I need to get, or make some for my 1911 and Glocks.

The SA Inc. Range Officer lacks a lanyard loop but since the mainspring housing contains one of those infernal safety locks.
I'm going to replace it with this:
s-l400 (3).jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts