Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

If you could by ANY gun right now...

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Unregistered 
#1 ·
What would it be? Price is no object. It's available and all you have to do is to go and get it.....

#3 ·
I really want a .357 Scandium but why waste this on a $500 gun so then I'm thinking of the higher priced guns like some of the .50 BMG's. However you did say any gun so I would take something that had meaning to me.

However, sometimes not knowing the history of a gun is more fun then knowing it so with that said the only gun I REALLY want that I know for fact I won't ever own is an old Colt Bisley, I may be able to work with an 1888 Flat Top as well if I was forced:)

#4 ·
I don't know what they are called but it would have to be the insanely fast, automatic, "machine of mass destruction" that was featured in the movies Predator and Terminator 2.
It seems I saw a similar weapon on one of the various shooting shows but can't remember what they called it.
In Predator Jesse Venturas' character used it to mow down a large assortment of tropical foliage. In Terminator 2 Arnold used it to destroy a vast array of cars and other substantial objects(all without killing a soul. How touching!).

#5 ·
Ah! A General Electric Minigun! Never could figure out why it was called "mini", though.

Here's a pretty neat link:

Monty's Miniguns

I would have to say that this would be my first choice as well. Of course, it would eat up a fortune in ammunition everytime you took it out for a spin! I think I heard it estimated at $20 per second....

#7 ·
Rich,
I guess if we could afford one $20.00 a second wouldn't be a problem LOL!
Seriously though, This weapon has to be the most impressive firearm that I have ever seen.
The show I referred to above is American Shooter. They had a segment where a private individual had two of them mounted on a bipod. They fired them at night with tracer rounds which was a truly awe inspiring sight!

#8 ·
I've been wanting to go to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot for ages now, but it always takes place at the wrong time of year for me. April (when breeding is beginning) and October (when I am doing shows and up to my eyeballs in baby snakes). Matter of fact, this past October show was during the same weekend as the Tinley Park Show. We drove RIGHT BY the shoot, but it was around 2am in the morning and I didn't think there was any good reason to stop in there. :(

One of these years.

But I believe they have a guy who brings a minigun to the shoot every year. I would love to see one of those things being touched off live and in person. I think one in .223 would be awesome.

#9 ·
Any gun I desire, and money is no object; well then I am gUnna go big, really BIG and go for the whole works and say I would buy a Battleship with all guns attached. That includes those guns that shoot rounds the weight of a small car. Yeah, thats the ticket.

Now back to reality for a moment. I would have to say I would really like a Springfield M6 - yeah I know low expectations but it is a neat little survival combo gun and one that could be loads of fun.

Of course I'd also take a mint condition Thompson Sub-gun, or better yet a Luger in .45ACP and I do mean one of the original prototypes from back in the day, not the newly made copies. That is one heck of a pistol.

If I was prone to getting an expensive rifle: how about the Carcano that shot JFK! If it was only one that I could buy with all that money at my disposal, I would take that one!

#11 ·
If I was prone to getting an expensive rifle: how about the Carcano that shot JFK!
Aw, come on, Glenn! Everyone knows that neither that gun nor that shooter could have done that job! ;)

I read somewhere that some gun club has (had?) an annual contest where they set up a replica of the conditions in Dallas and accomplished shooters try to accomplish the task that Oswald supposedly did. Now this was a while back when I read about this contest, but they said it had been running for several years at the time. and NO one had ever been able to duplicate the feat using that model of rifle.

#12 ·
Who cares! After I keep that rifle for a year or two, I would be able to sell it at an astronomical price. And just think of all the attention I would get at the range -lol.

#14 ·
Man, I really like the look of that Marlin in stainless, but I just know my shoulder will get up and leave me after I fire the first shot with it.

Heck the gun that I hated the most because of recoil was my Ruger .44 mag carbine. That sucker would pound the crap out of me! I would rather shoot a .50BMG any day of the week over that gun! I finally sold off that gun because I knew I didn't want to shoot it any more.

Something tells me the Marlin would be a gun vault widow for all of the rest of it's life after I fired it.

#15 ·
after seeing that mini-gun i almost changed my mind!i would,however,like a double rifle.caliber 9.3 x 74r,& one in .500 nitro express,& just for fun one in .45-70.
oh well,there goes a years pay!

#17 ·
You know, the more I think about this the more I would have to say that I would want to have a self cleaning gun. Kind of like a self cleaning oven.

Half the time I change my mind about going shooting when I think about all the gun cleaning I am going to have to do afterwards. And I can think of at least two guns that I shot a while back that I thought I would get to cleaning them "tomorrow"..... :eek:

#18 ·
Funny you should mention gun cleaning, I started to clean all mine yesterday and with luck I will finish today. Some were dirty, some were clean but they all get a cleaning whenever I decide it is general gun cleaning day. (I often clean each of them right after being shot - but not always so some were fouled and really needed it. The others were clean, but got it as a preventative against rust.). I don't have anywhere as many as I think you do, but it is a lot of work - although I have to admit I kind of like the smell of Hoppe's (the one that removes copper and the regular stuff too) and Break-Away Oil and I also used a nice orange scented wood cleaner/oil but it did little, if anything, to over power the scent of the gun cleaning solvent. Of course my wife said the basement smelled terrible while I was doing it, and again hours later - so maybe one that had an orange or lemon scent would help out there. As for the work involved, I usually find it more enjoyable than raking leaves or painting. Then if it was a self cleaner and it wasn't so much work maybe I would have had some time left over to be out shooting. So a self cleaning gun that did it in an odorless or lemon scented way would be a pretty good thing. And who knows - they have guns that shoot around corners, and guns with electronics that only allow certain shooters to shoot, so who knows what is next....;)LOL

#19 ·
I've always felt that cleaning my guns was almost cathartic.I can almost go on auto-pilot & think about the days events.You can feel the cool,slick metal & the warm,smooth wood and really appreciate both the craftsmanship of a fine firearm & (hopefully hah!)your skill at using it.You mention the smell of Hoppes.It is one of my earliest recollections of my father cleaning his guns that that smell reminds me of.

#20 ·
You're right on about the catharsis brought on by the aroma of cleaning guns with Hoppes. I am writing them a letter right now to thank them for the memories that their product has triggered.

#21 ·
Maybe I should write Hoppes ads, then again maybe not. Anyhow, this is really what does happen when I use the stuff. How could I ever have seriously suggested a lemon or orange scented cleaner for a self cleaning gun...... Egads man - I need to gett o the range and fould up some barrels so I can clean em again!

Dear Hoppes,

I am an avid shooting sports enthusiast, and have been for about 40 years now. I am 48 years old, and have a 14 year old son and 19 year old daughter who also have both enjoyed the shooting sports. Recently, in an online firearms forum, I was reminded by another shooter about how the aroma of Hoppes tends to make one reminisce about good times past; that it brings on a catharsis of sorts. The Hoppes user in particular to whom I refer was brought to memories of his father who had taught him to shoot and care for his firearms using Hoppes solvent. Well I was not lucky enough to have the old man around to teach me about guns - mom and dad divorced when I was 8 or 9, but I was taught about guns - at summer camp. I was a problem child who had to be sent to camp or the nuns were going to throw me out of Catholic school. Can you imagine they sent me to a Catholic camp, where Catholic brothers taught me how to shoot rifles and bows and arrows and taught me survival skills - all here in New York and at a Catholic Camp! I was lucky that way; but can you imagine that happening today - fat chance! Well, anyhow it worked, I am a fine upstanding member of my community, and am employed as a federal law enforcement agent. I even sent my own son all the way to New Hampshire on the Maine border to find the same set up - he didn't really need it - but it was good for him - a like father like son sort of a thing. One of the things about camp of which I have fond memories was the not umpleasent smell of Hoppes 9 solvent on the Winchesters and Remingtons at the rifle range. Hopefully my son finds it as pleasant. As for me, I did not know it was Hoppes back then, but the memory is undeniably a memory of an aroma that is that of the Hoppes of today.

I certainly agree, with the other Hoppes user, about the aura of gun cleaning brought on by the aroma of Hoppes. Gun cleaning with Hoppes does tend to help one push away negative emotion and cognition, and then undoubtedly leads to an ephemeral sort of a spiritual experience in that it usually lasts only for as long as you are cleaning the firearms or maybe just a short time beyond. You know, don't you, just up to the point where you reminisce while remaining in the room wherein wafts that aroma, while you sit back and enjoy those thoughts of times gone by - and dream of good times to come. Those recollections and those dreams do not materialize clearly in the absence of Hoppes - it just is not the same without the heavy scent of amply applied Hoppes #9 floating through the room.

It is amazing, the wide array of memories that can be brought to the light of the basement or garage gun cleaning room, once the Hoppes is opened. For instance: memories of loved ones who taught us to shoot and care for our firearms, our first gun, the first time we cleaned our very own gun, the first time we went shooting, our first hunt, our first successful hunt, the first time and many times after that when we shared the joys of the shooting sports with our children, and the many other times that were not necessarily the first times we did something with firearms - but were something that we loved doing over and over again. I guess that when they made those Police Academy movies there really was something to be said about the scenes in which Tagglebury used the stuff as aftershave. It sure has an affect, doesn't it! Maybe it is not the affect seen in the movies but a marked and good affect all kidding aside.

But back to waxing seriously for a moment, I remember my first successful White-tailed Deer hunt. I remember slowly bringing the shotgun to my cheek as I quivered with anticipation and nervousness. I recall taking a bead on that eight pointer as he followed the doe with his nose near the doe's... you get the picture. What gives that picture clarity, what helps bring it into really sharp focus, is the smell of Hoppes #9 gun cleaning solvent. I remember that, long ago, as I brought the shotgun up to fire, I got a whiff of Hoppes on the gun. Then, I remember, I worried a bit. I prayed the deer would not smell it too, and they didn't because I had set up with the wind in my face and it was only a very faint hint of that wonderful aroma. I remember too as I smelled it that it was a good smell and, it made me not worry so much that the deer would catch the scent but rather made me recall all I had been taught about hunting and firearms in that split second before I squeezed the trigger. It made me think: if I was certain of my target, if I had a good and sporting shot, to take careful aim, if I had taken off the safety, and to squeeze instead of jerk the trigger and then to follow through. It filled me with a certainty that I was about to bag my first buck. That is what Hoppes did for me, and that is just what I did - my first buck was a nice eight pointer.

Hoppes has done something else over the years. It has helped fuse the events of that first hunt into the most secure place in the halls of my memory just as it has done with many of the other precious memories of my life related to the shooting sports. It keeps on reinforcing my memories, just smelling it while cleaning a firearm brings those memories to the forefront of my mind. I can only hope that it will continue to do the same for my son as he grows into manhood and he enjoys our heritage as Americans - the right to keep and bear arms. For this trigger of memories from my shooting past, and for this maker of dreams for my son's future - I thank you at Hoppes. Please keep up the good work and keep on putting out a great product that not only gets the job done, but by way of the memories that it triggers makes the job so much more enjoyable.

I would like to have sent this directly to the CEO of your company, but I am sorry to say I do not have your mailing address or the correct email address for such. Hopefully someone in sales, can pass this letter along to the CEO for me. Thanks for everything.

Sincerely,
Glenn R. Bartley

#22 ·
Sigh....

It would take me a week just to be able to GET to my work bench and start cleaning it up. My work shop has become a catch-all storage area. To give you an idea, I lost a 5,000 watt generator in it once. I knew it was in there, but couldn't find it. I have found that it is easier and less time consuming to go buy a new tool rather than to try to find it in that mess. I have more cordless drills than most hardware stores.

I actually bought a roll around cart to do my gun cleaning on, but it is jammed up in front of my milling machine and it would take some work just to find a spot I could roll it to in order to work on a gun sitting on top of it.

Matter of fact, one of my gun vaults had too much open floor space in front of it, and now that has become the spot we store our paper towels that we buy (and we use a LOT of those).

The other day I got the cold sweats. One of our freezers has started making a clunking noise, I guess when the compressor shuts off. When I evaluated the situation to consider what it would take to NOW get that one out of there and replace it with a new one, I figured it would be easier to blow out the wall in back of it and then rebuild that section of the building.

But I really should go through and clean and oil all of my guns. Fortunately I have a dehumidifier running in those rooms 24/7, so it keeps everything pretty dry.

Oh well....

#23 ·
if a busy work area is a sign of a busy mind,then,what is an empty work area a sign of?:shrugs:

G
#26 ·
do I have to KEEP it? a 16" off of a naval

ship, or some such multimillion $ thing, or if being "practical", the most expensive historic clunk, or engraved thingamabob, , so that I could sell it and buy lots more useful things, invest the leftover cash in things that are going to MAKE me money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.