Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many good 22 rifles to be had, that the choice is almost endless.

Base you choice on the complete rifle, not some near worthless 22 conversion unit modification of a centerfire rifle. Try not to go far afield, but stick with individual 22 rifles, and action styles.

Explain your preference in detail, if you would, please.

What would you want for a scope on the rifle? Or, would you open sights or aperature sights?

Do you base you choice on the action type?

Do you base you choice on the brand name?

Or, would you base your choice on how the individual rifle is equipped, and your experience with that individual rifle?

Do you practice fire discipline, or do you tend to spray and pray?

I, personally, would choose a repeater, either a semiautomatic, or a lever action style rifle. While I like bolt action rifles, I would choose other action types. I probably would not choose any of the single shot 22 rifles that I own either.

I have about thirty, 22 rifles, to select from. I have, mostly, high end rifles, with some medium priced rifles that are highly modified.

My first choice would be one of my CPC modified Ruger 10/22 Sporters (DSP model), because I do not like barrel bands.

I have nine Ruger 10/22's, and all of them are equipped with Leupold M8 6X42AO fixed power scopes. I would choose any one of these rifles because of their proven reliability, and accuracy, since CPC performed their accuracy work.

However, I could, just as easily, choose one of my several Winchester, CZ or Marlin repeating rifles too.

Bill

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Based strictly on utility, ease of customizing and availibility of parts, I would have to choose the Ruger 10-22. I have extensive experience with it and trust the design. A true workhorse in every sense of the word.

Dad's 10-22 dates from 1967 and is quality built with the walnut stock, Weaver Variable 22 scope and a 2.25 lb trigger that I gunsmithed years ago. My rifle is 1999 vintage and un-gunsmithed with an el-cheapo Chinese Bushnell 4X scope. Either would suffice for hunting. My 10-22 could definitely use some gunsmithing and slicking up.

Do you practice fire discipline, or do you tend to spray and pray?

Fire discipline is natural for me. One shot, one kill if I do my part.

If I had unlimited funds, would like to have a Grade 3 Browning Autoloader and a Kimber Super America also, just for their beauty and both in 22 lr.

For any reasonable use, the 10-22 does the job just fine.

RIKA :)

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Heck, I'm thinking seriously about letting loose one of my 10-22s and having it rebuilt with an integral silencer. There is a local shop here that does that kind of work. Probably would replace the trigger group as well.

I think a low powered Leupold variable would be the ticket. Something like a 1.75 x 4 or so.

I have an H&K model 270 that is a real tack driver, so that would be a real close runner up.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Rich,

A 10-22 with an integral suppressor (silencer) would be a real prize. I assume that your gunsmith is an installer for one of the large manufacturers. What brand do you like? I've been told that when you're firing lead bullets through the unit that its best to have one that can be disassembled for cleaning.

RIKA :)

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
The guy appears at the local gunshows every now and again. Here's his site:

LRM Firearms

The stuff looks well made on his table, but heck, how do you know until you actually take it out for a spin? I'm just concerned about accuracy of the unit. If I can't hit squirrels with it at 50 yards it's not worth beans to me.

Maybe I can get him to guarantee minimal performance and give me a test target.

I assume the local sheriff will sign off on this, since he signed off on my Street Sweeper when I had to have it registered as a DD a while back.

Guess I might need to start on this soon if I want to have it by the Winter months.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
it's the .22 rifle that's nearly worthless.

not th2 .22 unit in the AR. The 1 in 12 twist AR's and .22 units group 2" at 50 yds, POI is within 2" of the 223, too. No fighting rifle handles like a 1022 The sights bolt lockrelease, mag release, safty, all different, and POINTLESSLY so. What 's the matter, can't you shoot a .22 PISTOL good enough to hunt with it? Cant you stalk within 35m of small game? :)

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
dont bother with a ported 22lr barrel.

if you don't want theBATF hassle (and UTILITY) of a 6" barrel (which keeps standard, "high speed" .22lr ammo subsonic, then be sure to ream out the rifling in any ported area of the barrel. That will eliminated the ports each tearing off a little piece of the side of the pure lead .22 bullet, as it passes the port.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: it's the .22 rifle that's nearly worthless.

223 fan said:
not th2 .22 unit in the AR. The 1 in 12 twist AR's and .22 units group 2" at 50 yds, POI is within 2" of the 223, too. No fighting rifle handles like a 1022 The sights bolt lockrelease, mag release, safty, all different, and POINTLESSLY so. What 's the matter, can't you shoot a .22 PISTOL good enough to hunt with it? Cant you stalk within 35m of small game? :)
Melvin:
Your posts are so damned illiterate, repititious and disrespectful in demeanor, that no one wants to listen to you, or read what you have to say.

Get an education, and get a life. You're functionally illiterate. Your abject illiteracy causes others who know how nutty you are, to laugh at you.

Sorry Melvin, but you just don't have it. As my friend Mel Tappan used to say, "that boy is a little light between the ears."

Bill

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: dont bother with a ported 22lr barrel.

223 fan said:
if you don't want theBATF hassle (and UTILITY) of a 6" barrel (which keeps standard, "high speed" .22lr ammo subsonic, then be sure to ream out the rifling in any ported area of the barrel. That will eliminated the ports each tearing off a little piece of the side of the pure lead .22 bullet, as it passes the port.
Your're off topic Melvin. Either stay on topic, or get the hell out of here.

Bill

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: it's the .22 rifle that's nearly worthless.

223 fan said:
Off topic post again Melvin. Get on topic, or get out!

Bill

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Raider said:
Based strictly on utility, ease of customizing and availibility of parts, I would have to choose the Ruger 10-22. I have extensive experience with it and trust the design. A true workhorse in every sense of the word.
Have to agree, for those reasons. Mine wears a 4x Weaver scope.

As far as LIKING the rifle, the Marlin 39A takes it. It wears irons.

For SHTF, I have to go with utility over aesthetics, the 10/22 would be the pick.

Fire discipline is a given. Spraying and praying is for morons.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
NOT off-topic at all. u PRESUME to be

able to LIMIT the discussion,and I prove you WRONG about that, and you HATE being shown up. THAT'S what your problem is. There's no POINT to the .22 rifle, as a shtf gun, because you can't CARRY BOTH the .22 AND a real fighting rifle, and you dont DARE not ALWAYS have the fighting rifle ready to hand, basically. You can THINK that you can tell when you will need the fighting rifle, but that's PURE bs. The swap of the .22 unit for the 223 AR is a 20 second thing, and the .22 unit is at LEAST as "good" a weaoon as is any .22 rifle. BETTER, in most cases, if the AR that is the "host" weapon for the .22 unit is suppressed,and the .22 rifle is not. ESPECIALLY if the .22 rifle is a non-auto,and a tube fed auto aint much in the way of a good idea, either.Got a CONCEALABLE .22 rifle? got a set of luminous sights on it? ambi-safety? is it rustproofed? lw, crisp trigger pull? Hell no, that stuff costs MONEY

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: NOT off-topic at all. u PRESUME to be

223 fan said:
able to LIMIT the discussion,and I prove you WRONG about that, and you HATE being shown up. THAT'S what your problem is. There's no POINT to the .22 rifle, as a shtf gun, because you can't CARRY BOTH the .22 AND a real fighting rifle, and you dont DARE not ALWAYS have the fighting rifle ready to hand, basically. You can THINK that you can tell when you will need the fighting rifle, but that's PURE bs. The swap of the .22 unit for the 223 AR is a 20 second thing, and the .22 unit is at LEAST as "good" a weaoon as is any .22 rifle. BETTER, in most cases, if the AR that is the "host" weapon for the .22 unit is suppressed,and the .22 rifle is not. ESPECIALLY if the .22 rifle is a non-auto,and a tube fed auto aint much in the way of a good idea, either.Got a CONCEALABLE .22 rifle? got a set of luminous sights on it? ambi-safety? is it rustproofed? lw, crisp trigger pull? Hell no, that stuff costs MONEY
Well MELVIN, I see you're still totally unclear on the concept. Illiterate as usual, and off topic as usual.

Bill

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
There's not a lot I can't hit with my Ruger MkII pistol. The leader of the Minutemen of the 1960's, who lived off the land for over a year and a half while running from the feds recommended a Ruger .22 pistol for living off of the land.

The .22 Ciener kit in the AR is a better .22 rifle than you may think. I can make a coke can dance at 75m with one. That's with a 16" 1:9 barrel.

The Ciener is ammo sensitive and is not that reliable, but it's a neat thing to have.

All in all, probably the best, most reliable, and toughest .22 rifle I've used to date is a Ruger 10/22.

Just about the ultimate live off the land .22 rifle is a Ruger 10/22, 3 extra mags, a large 40mm scope of at least 4x, and a Butler Creek stock.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
no canned10" CAR15, .22 unit, IS

WHY be without the ease of stripping cleaning, ambi safety, luminous siights, power, penetration, and reach of the 223, when you dont HAVE to, hmm? If use the CarBon 15,it AND the .22 unit weigh no more than the 10-22 does.

No, the Ciener unit is NOT "ammo sensive". You have experience with ONE (poor one) and I have experience with nearly a dozen. If you can't make one work reliably with nearly ANY ammo, you are just no smith, that's all.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The whole "one gun" line of thinking is a bit flawed from the start

We all have many rifles of different types and most have several members of thier families and close friend that will be banding up SHTF. In my family it's not too hard to envision a mix of M1A's and AR's and a bolt gun or two for special use.

Back to the one .22 thing, I would definetly choose the 10/22 as a dedicated rifle, but would prefer to shoot .22LR though my CAR15 with a Ciener for SHTF use. I like the Cieners and wouldn't consider owning an AR without one, I don't find them unreliable at all, though they sometimes can stand some tuning.

A heavy barrel 10/22 is getting pretty close to the wieght of a CAR15 and no where close in utility value IMO. No way in the world I would leave a CAR15 in the safe and take a 10/22 target rifle SHTF.

My favorite .22 pistol is my G26 with it's Advantage Arms top end, light, accurate and good quality with the advantage of mucho cheap practice.

I rarely shoot "dedicated" .22 LR anything these days.

Teuf,

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
there's no reason to do so, other than

being ignorant and a cheapskate. The only .22 worth consideration for shtf is a canned, pocket autopistol, and the M21 is the king there, because of its size, wt, and SA carry posibility, ease of mounting a can. The smith 2214 is a pretty nice gun, but its barrel is awful short to be internally threading for a can, and its safety is pretty slow to use, and basically "unfixable" by smithing. You could go with the expensive TPH walther, and PUT UP with the DA handicap, but fitting the longer, externally threaded barrel will add at least $200 to the $500 price tag of the gun.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: there's no reason to do so, other than

andy said:
being ignorant and a cheapskate. The only .22 worth consideration for shtf is a canned, pocket autopistol, and the M21 is the king there, because of its size, wt, and SA carry posibility, ease of mounting a can. The smith 2214 is a pretty nice gun, but its barrel is awful short to be internally threading for a can, and its safety is pretty slow to use, and basically "unfixable" by smithing. You could go with the expensive TPH walther, and PUT UP with the DA handicap, but fitting the longer, externally threaded barrel will add at least $200 to the $500 price tag of the gun.
Good morning again Patricia!

Bill

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: My wife wouldn't know a 2214

andy said:
from a Raven, or a TPH from a Baur .25. :)
Yeah, Sure TARD, we believe you!

Bill

1 - 20 of 28 Posts