Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm going to lay low for awhile. Apparently I have become just as much of a detrement to Armlocker as one other forum member and I have no desire to sink to that level.
I still plan to visit and avail myself of the knowledge and wisdom available from this great community, but since being made aware of the fact that "To be honest, you are just as bad as he is", I will take a little break from posting and relieve the forum of, at least, half of it's problem.
Thanks, folks, it's been very enlightening.
SatCong

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
SatCong, you will be greatly missed because of your humor and contributions. Come and visit us over at Teuf's forum.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
SatCong said:
I think I'm going to lay low for awhile. Apparently I have become just as much of a detrement to Armlocker as one other forum member and I have no desire to sink to that level.
I still plan to visit and avail myself of the knowledge and wisdom available from this great community, but since being made aware of the fact that "To be honest, you are just as bad as he is", I will take a little break from posting and relieve the forum of, at least, half of it's problem.
Thanks, folks, it's been very enlightening.
SatCong
I did the same thing for about a month.I just sat & stewed.Then I laughed at myself & deceided to pay better attention to what I was writing.I also deceided to not let it bother me if someone deleted my "questionable" posts.
Ha Ha !

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
So, let me get this straight. You all want me to ONLY edit and delete Gunkid's derogatory posts, but everything YOU say is OK and should be left alone? How so? What makes YOUR derogatory posts better fare for public viewing then someone else's? What makes YOU needling someone else different then the needling FROM someone else? I guess I don't understand your logic.

I was bashed repeatedly for allowing the bs postings, so I did step in and did something about it. Now I am being bashed for being even handed and fair across the board based on CONTENT, not the SOURCE of that content. All post deletions, either via myself or the moderators, were done as "soft" deletes, so those posts still remain if I want to audit them for content and appropriateness. I did this purposely. And I believe I set it up so that registered members can still open up those soft deleted messages and read them if they desire to do so.

Seems to me that the Gunkid chasers here don't really like it that I am not automatically taking their side. I have to admit that I am pretty damned shocked at the lack of maturity I see in many postings on this site. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

To be honest, I am about ready to pull out the moderators, cease my own moderation and remove all profanity filters and leave this site to you all to do as you please. Since obviously I can't satisfy any of you with how I run this site, I will just have to pick the manner that is the least amount of work and effort for me. I do have better things to do then to play nursemaid to a bunch of kids (maturity wise) who just want to fight with each other.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Hey, I'm cool with things, Rich. Besides, if people are unhappy with the way things are run, they can get their own damned forum.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well I said that I chose to change MY posting habits.

As for being bashed when you didn't & then bashed when you did?

Well,I confess to ignoring your warnings.When you did effect a change it kinda caught me by suprise.That's why I got mad & left to pout for a while.:wavey:

I chose to come back only after I deceided to think first more often.

Keep at it for a bit longer Rich.By the first of the year(11 weeks!)the critters'll be cooling,hunting season'll be mostly over,& we'll all be able to chew over last season & plan a better one for next year.

& yes,I am having fun w/the font button thingy. :)

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
Rich Z said:
So, let me get this straight. You all want me to ONLY edit and delete Gunkid's derogatory posts, but everything YOU say is OK and should be left alone?
Nope. Content of the post ("content of their character" comes to mind), not by the name, or even the history, of the author. Same standards should apply to everyone here, whether a newbie, an old fart, a saint, or a troll.

Rich Z said:
I was bashed repeatedly for allowing the bs postings, so I did step in and did something about it.
Yes you were, but not by everybody. It's your site; do what you want to do. We need to remember we're "guests in your house", and behave as such.

Rich Z said:
To be honest, I am about ready to pull out the moderators, cease my own moderation and remove all profanity filters and leave this site to you all to do as you please.
I'd rather you didn't, but again, it's "your house" to do as you see fit.

Rich Z said:
Since obviously I can't satisfy any of you with how I run this site,
You're generallizing, sir. Many of us have never complained about your actions.

Rich Z said:
I do have better things to do then to play nursemaid to a bunch of kids (maturity wise) who just want to fight with each other.
Very understandable, and more accurate than it should be.

It IS "your house", Rich. I just appreciate you hosting the party. But when party-goers get drunk, stupid, or abusive, it's time to either send them on their way individually or else just shut down the party. It's up to the host to decide which route to take. and when.

Lighter side note... Could someone explaing this smilie to me? :bounce: A thing that looks like a cross betwen a UFO and an igloo cooler drops down, then liquefies/sucks the smily face guy inside it, and then shakes it up. Some smilies I like, some I dont', some I thing are goofy, but this one, I just don't get. What's it signifying?

(Figured I'd better ask before the board shuts down, or I get kicked off... :cool: )

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
No, I am not intending to shut down this site. At worst (or best?) I will just shut down my involvement in moderating. It is a thankless, and apparently fruitless, task.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Rich Z said:
No, I am not intending to shut down this site. At worst (or best?) I will just shut down my involvement in moderating. It is a thankless, and apparently fruitless, task.
Well, I like the new tone to the forums...and think it is a BIG improvement. If you hear anything from me, it is a "thank you," Rich.

..if that matters.
KJ

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
KJ, sorry, too little, too late.

As for most of the rest of you:

In case no one has read the announcement thread I have put up, I have abandoned all moderation of this site. It just is not worth my time, nor that of my moderators. I had people leave because I was not doing any moderation, and then when I did start moderating, along with some help, some people got their panties in a wad over it because they apparently felt that the moderation should only apply to "the other guy". So since people are going to get pissed no matter which way I run this site, I have decided to run it in the manner that is the least amount of work for me.

So you all can just beat the hell out of each other and make fools of yourself. I really don't care. This site is what YOU make it, not what myself and the mods FORCE you to make it. I really find it unbelievable that the people on this site are adults. Maybe one day you'll step back and take a long hard look at how you all look in public, and maybe that realization will make a positive difference in your lives.

I have disabled the ability for anyone to report posts to moderators or in any way bother me or anyone else with your nonsense. I will be reading stuff here, and contributing when I find things of personal interest. But otherwise, I really don't give a damn about your personal squabbles. Please do the gun owning community a great service by figuring out how to grow up in a hurry and cease making us all look like fools by association with YOU.

Over and out.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I thought I'd stick around for a while to see how things shake out. I was betting andy would be booted soon. Guess not.

For any forum to survive and to be taken seriously, useage must be monitored and moderators need to see to it that trolls and detractors are eliminated. When you run a vitual sand box, you can invite all of the kids to come and play, but without rules, the bullies will throw the rest of the kids right out of the sand box.

In my opinion (not that it's worth much) running an unmoderated firearms site will do more damage to the RKBA arms than you can imagine. Every anti-gun group in the country will link to this cesspool (and that's what it is) in their efforts to show responsible citizens what a bunch of foul ******** and goofy bastards own guns.

It's your Website and you can do with it as you like, but frankly if you want to leave the whole shooting match up for grabs, you are the one who must bear total responsibility for the outcome.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
John in AR said:
...It IS "your house", Rich. I just appreciate you hosting the party. But when party-goers get drunk, stupid, or abusive, it's time to either send them on their way individually or else just shut down the party. It's up to the host to decide which route to take. and when...
I hadn't considered this third option. The host moves out and leaves the drunks to their own devices.

I suddenly hear voices in the background, faintly chanting, "Toga! Toga! TOGA!!!"

I hope that's not where this ends up; I'm too old to live in the Animal House.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Ankeny said:
It's your Website and you can do with it as you like, but frankly if you want to leave the whole shooting match up for grabs, you are the one who must bear total responsibility for the outcome.
In keeping with the mode that people on this site appear to relish in their mannerisms: So sue me.

I have better things to do then to play nursemaid here.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
John, the smiley you question, clearly shows you have no young children, or you somehow managed to escape the whole pokemon thing...

it's some kind of pokemon catching device - it's got a name, but I have no idea what it is....

I probably should feel stupid for even knowing this, but I have nephews and nieces...

and at one time or another bought birthday or christmas gifts for them...

:devil:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts