Arms Locker banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I said this before, maybe in kind of half kidding jest, that sooner or later it will be a felony conviction for speeding tickets and parking tickets. As of October 1, the following law in Florida took effect:

Attachments

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(c)(b) “Racing” means the use of one or more motor vehicles in an attempt to outgain or, outdistance another motor vehicle, to or prevent another motor vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another motor vehicle or motor vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance driving routes.
Passing another vehicle is a misdemeanor.

1. Drive any motor vehicle, including any motorcycle, in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, or exhibition of speed or acceleration; or for the purpose of making a speed record on any highway, roadway, or parking lot;
Accelerating to the speed limit rapidly, at the discretion of the officer, can result in a misdemeanor arrest. Does this mean that if you just "get on it" you are in violation of this law? If you accelerate rapidly to pass the pain in the butt driving 10 miles below the speed limit, can you have your vehicle impounded?

So, how long do you think it will be before this change from a second class misdemeanor to a first class misdemeanor becomes a felony?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Sounds extreme to me. They should find better use for their time.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Anything not forbidden is mandatory.

Have a nice day, Citizen!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I may be mistaken but I believe there are similar laws in place in Canada (maybe just B.C.?). Kiddies racing with their souped up rice-mobiles are a huge problem in Vancouver, pedestrians and innocent drivers get killed. IMO reckless driving on a crowded street is akin to waving a gun around; writing a ticket doesn't cut it.

The trick, I guess, is not abusing the law, as with all laws.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Making them higher-grade misdemeanors simply means they can raise the fines. I doubt they'll make them felonies requiring jail time, they'd rather just bankrupt you while filling their coffers.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think it was in Miami that a young man who was given a corvette for graduation took same car out drag racing that night and killed several people in an accident. Souped up cars and teen kids don't mix.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't confuse the intent of a law with the letter of a law. The "letter of the law" is what will be ruled on in court.

The letter of this statement:
“Racing” means the use of one or more motor vehicles in an attempt to outgain or, outdistance another motor vehicle
could be interpretted such that anyone passing anyone for any reason could be pulled over by a traffic cop having a real bad day and wanting to take it out on someone. It is at the discretion of the officer to determine if the driver is violating the law, which means your vehicle can be impounded on the spot and you are walking home. Second time around, your vehicle gets forfeited. My, what a windfall this is for police departments strapped for funds. Simply target any high value vehicle and the law becomes a goose that lays golden eggs. Think it can't happen?

Can't be come a felony, eh? Who would ever have thought that taking a fire extinquisher from a motel or trespassing on a construction site would become considered as felony crimes?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I didn't say it couldn't I said it probably wouildn't. Let me ammend that by saying that maybe on the nth offense it would then be a felony, but not until they've collected several very large fines. In fact I think it more likely you'd be jailed for not being able to pay the fines.

·
Registered
180 Posts
We may be overlooking a serious consequence of this. As in current domestic abuse laws, some serious misdemeanors will lose you your right to own a gun. Current fed paperwork asks if you have ever been convicted of domestic violence, which is a misdemeanor, NOT a felony. In this state, if the police are called on a DA call, and your girlfriend assaulted you, if she says you pushed her,you will BOTH go to jail and be charged with domestic abuse.Her word against yours.(And her lawyers)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Chili Willi said:
Current fed paperwork asks if you have ever been convicted of domestic violence, which is a misdemeanor, NOT a felony.
I don't understand this law either, personally I think it's just a backdoor ban. There should be some degrees to it, but as the law (at least in WV) is written, even yelling can be considered domestic violence, losing your temper and throwing a glass across the room is domestic violence........all it takes is one neighbor to call the cops and some one has to go to jail. I don't agree with wife beating, but there has to be some sanity added to the law.

As for the traffic stuff;

If it weren't for racing cars and shooting pool I'd have had no young adulthood at all.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The anti gunners are getting smarter. Pass laws like the Domestic Violence one which ratchets down the removal of a constitutional right to a misdemeanor charge. And it will NEVER come off of the books. What politician in their right mind would vote to have it repealed? The media would make a circus out of it to make it look like the politicians were saying they wanted to remove restrictions against domestic violence and approved of wife beating. The headlines would read "Senator so-and-so voted against the anti wife beating statute!!"

It is already on the books that felons lose their right to own guns. All the anti gunners have to do now is to broaden the definition of "felony" to cover every minor infraction on the books. Game is over then. And I have no doubts at all that this is taking place now.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The South went to war over much less!

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Rich Z said:
Don't confuse the intent of a law with the letter of a law. The "letter of the law" is what will be ruled on in court.

The letter of this statement:

could be interpretted such that anyone passing anyone for any reason could be pulled over by a traffic cop having a real bad day and wanting to take it out on someone. It is at the discretion of the officer to determine if the driver is violating the law, which means your vehicle can be impounded on the spot and you are walking home. Second time around, your vehicle gets forfeited. My, what a windfall this is for police departments strapped for funds. Simply target any high value vehicle and the law becomes a goose that lays golden eggs. Think it can't happen?

Can't be come a felony, eh? Who would ever have thought that taking a fire extinquisher from a motel or trespassing on a construction site would become considered as felony crimes?

hey, brother! i'm 'diggin' what yer' plantin'- pickin' upwhat yer' LAYIN' down!!!

YES, IT IS ANOTHER TOOL FOR THE SYSTEM![and the 'local-elected officials are going to BEAR THE BRUNT[I.E, GIT' WHACKED]

as these bastards REALLY DO NEED A 'SHIT-LOAD' OF SENSE KNOCKED INTO
THEM!!!,,,,or else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts