Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the Springfield 1911 a1 compacts worth a crap out of the box?I am looking at one it has a 6+1 capacity and is very small.It has no bells or whistels.I had a v-10 Ultra compact a couple of years ago and it jammed everything I fed it.Any info on these guns would be great as I am looking to make a purchase tomorrow.

Trey Small

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Not sure as I've never owned one, but I've only had one 1911 work out of the box (a Springfield mil-spec at that), all others required a break in, and some never broke in.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
The one my wife has runs fine

several hundred rds of swc reloads, not a bobble, with either of her 2 Spld mags. You can get a lemon from any company, and most autos require a few hundred rds of a "break in period", and often, a bit of smithing, in order to be reliable. Getting all your guns used, testfiring before buying, and not paying more than 3/4 of retail price is a very good idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx guys

Well I made the purchase today.I went with the 1911 A-1 .There was some debate on exactly what modle it is.You would think they would know...lol.They say it is the size of the ultra compact.I think it is smaller!Any sure fire way to tell?It only says 1911-A1 on the slide.I havent fired yet but it is very clean,looks brand new.It cycles rounds through throught it when I was trying it out a little.Any info on exactly what modle I have would also be great.I appreciate your time and info.

p.s. I paid $399 total tax and all.They were asking $459.It came with the green o.d box and 1 6rnd mag.

Thanks again

Trey Small

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
there's this thing called a ruler. What you do is lay it

on top of the gun, and measure its length. Then you go to Spld's website and match up the length with their specs for various models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts