Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, that's what the knobs on the scope are for, to dial in for windage and adjust for those differences in bullet impact. So you can MOVE that 2 inch group to be on target.

Heck, I would be satisfied to put the shots into an 18 inch circle at 400 yards. That's approximately the "good hit" zone of about anything I would be realistically shooting at. I do try to keep my goals modest. Of course, I am talking about military style weaponry with open sites or low mag optics, and not varmint bench rest shooting with a 40 power scope attached.

Different kinds of shooting entirely.

G

·
neither men nor animals stand around

after your "spotter" shot is fired. Just groups, on paper, mean exactly nothing.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, the purpose of the "goup" is to show the guns ability to place the bullet in pretty much the same place (in relation to the sights) that the last bullet went to. No one is likely going to try to put a group into a prairie dog. But if you do have to do a followup shot, it sure would be nice to know that it was going to hit approximately where your sights say it will hit.

Otherwise, when you sighted in a rifle, you just fire one shot, then adjust the scope accordingly, right?

Heck, thinking of it, that is exactly the philosphy behind the Shepherd scopes, so maybe this IS the right way to do it.

But still, I am more confortable firing a 5 shot group and averaging the center as my probable hit zone. Between trying to accomodate the shot with my breathing, heart beat, that skeeter buzzing my ear, and that sudden itch on my forehead, I think I need to take into account some variability in actual impact from when my mind wants the shot to be fired.

G

·
in other words, it doesn't matter if you

miss or not, so the shot doesn't have to be fired in the first place. That's the reality of all this long range, super accuracy bs. If your life rode on getting a good hit, you'd insist on getting twice as close.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If your life rode on getting a good hit, you'd insist on getting twice as close.
No, if my life rode on getting a good hit, that probably means I am in a defensive posture. I just have to keep on moving further away. Or if that isn't possible to do, make sure I am in a position that he doesn't know I am in, and wait for HIM to get closer to me. :)

But there are so many "if"s in this sort of scenario, that it certainly could be debated ad infinitum with no real answers available in a general sense.

G

·
I said, if your life rode on MAKING the

the shot. So running away is not an option. So, I am correct about insisting on half as much range. What bsers FANTASIZE about doing, and what's reliably done are two VERY different things.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts