Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's talking about hunting, but I thought this paragraph was of particular note:

The advice "take the gun you shoot best" on an important hunt is a great example. Of course, you need to be able to shoot your rifle well. but bringing an inadequate rifle cartridge on an important hunt, just because you won't bother to master a proper rifle, is a lazy approach to the problem. Also, it's very likely that the guys that complain they can't shoot the bigger gun probably aren't that great with any rifle.

I found that paragraph to be interesting. Substitute SHTF for important hunt, and if kinda reminds me of someone.

Registered
it's talking about hunting, but I thought this paragraph was of particular note:

The advice "take the gun you shoot best" on an important hunt is a great example. Of course, you need to be able to shoot your rifle well. but bringing an inadequate rifle cartridge on an important hunt, just because you won't bother to master a proper rifle, is a lazy approach to the problem. Also, it's very likely that the guys that complain they can't shoot the bigger gun probably aren't that great with any rifle.

I found that paragraph to be interesting. Substitute SHTF for important hunt, and if kinda reminds me of someone.
Something definitely to take note of.

Registered

Registered

Only thing I'd change would be changing "inadequate" to "inappropriate". Having too much gun isn't nearly as bad as having too little gun, but it's still a bad idea. Shortly after we moved to Arkansas, I sold off the only gun I had that was bigger than .308; a nice Browning BAR in .300 WinMag. In our area, there just isn't game big enough or distances long enough to need that much gun. Even back then, good .300WM ammo was near $2 a round, and there's really nothing around here that the plain-jane .308 isn't plenty adequate for.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had this discussion with someone when I brought my .338 to a hunt. It is an amazingly accurate gun, they only thing I did to it was put it in a McMillian stock. it is a sub MOA rifle with my handloads. It has a brake on it, so the recoil is about the same as a 30-06.

After I go my deer, I asked my friend, at what point in the death of the deer was it too dead? it doesn't destroy any more meat than any other round. If I was forced to only have one bolt action rifle, it would be difficult to choose between my .280 and my .338. I'd probably go with the .338, as there is nothing in North America that is immune to it. I can load very light bullets or very heavy ones. I tend to feed it 225gr barnes.

but, you're correct, if you have the option, you should match the rifle to the task at hand.

Registered
...After I go my deer, I asked my friend, at what point in the death of the deer was it too dead? it doesn't destroy any more meat than any other round. If I was forced to only have one bolt action rifle, it would be difficult to choose between my .280 and my .338. I'd probably go with the .338, as there is nothing in North America that is immune to it.
馃憤 That's exactly how the .308 is for me. In our area the biggest thing is black bear; and even those aren't commonly seen. I've also never taken a deer here past 80 yards or so. I do shoot farther than that recreationally sometimes, but I've never hunted farther than that up here. (Recreationally, there's something fun about ringing a 24" gong at 230+ yards with a .38 special from a 16" carbine. It's a gratifyingly long hang time from firing to impact.)

Totally get what your saying, and if I were in an area where I might be hunting bigger (or more dangerous) game or doing so at longer ranges, I'd want something bigger than .308 as well. But long range hunting and extremely large game just don't exist where I am. Which is fine with me - I don't hunt anymore anyway. Honestly the only reason I've kept the one .308 that I haven't sold, is that one of my sons really likes it, it's the gun he took his first deer with, and it'll be his someday. If it weren't for that, I'd actually be well-served with nothing bigger than 762x39 and .300 blackout.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts