Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will walk 8 miles in 3 hours today., no pack, tho. Soon as the wife wakes up.she's got covid and can't work for 3 weeks. Her home couintry is all locked down, cant get her kid out.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Goggins' story is an incredible one, and a testament to the power of focus and will. For weight loss that's obviously a good approach, but it's not something that can be maintained long-term. He was living on a combination of the food he ate and the fat he burned off. When he reached the point where his fat reserves were pretty much consumed, he had to increase the amount of food eaten to take up the slack for the now-unavailable fat. So short-term it's great, but 800 calories can't be a long-term healthy lifestyle for an active man. IIRC, Michael Phelps ate something like 6,000 calories a day, because he burned it all and didn't have (and didn't build) any fat reserves to speak of.

...she's got covid and can't work for 3 weeks.
Hope all goes well for her recovery.

My walking and even manual labor in general have been way down lately from what it normally is. Had surgery on my right foot in July and just had my final follow-up exam on it this Monday. Am having the same surgery on my left foot in a couple weeks, so will be starting the same (two month or so) gimp/recovery time starting all over again then. But at least it'll be done & behind me forever at that point, so that's a very good thing.

·
Registered
10,295 Posts
Good luck on the surgery. Living on the amount of calories that fed many a concentration camp victim can't be good for your brain and body's ability to function properly over the long haul. Melvin congratulations on the walking. I'm starting to feel the effects of arthritis in my left knee which I can generally start to get painful around the 4th or 5th stage of a match. I shot a match 2 weeks ago where my buddy and I were twice the age of the average competitor at the match. It gives you a weird feeling. Some of this 3 gun nation stuff is getting increasingly harder to do. The downside of aging.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
...I shot a match 2 weeks ago where my buddy and I were twice the age of the average competitor at the match. It gives you a weird feeling.
It was one of 'those' moments when I saw that the last technician I hired is younger than my kids. 👴

·
Registered
10,295 Posts
No kidding!

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I had my surgery consultation with my Podiatrist. I need two toes wired in for four to six weeks recovery. SHIT! I asked him if I could hold off until after Pheasant and Deer season is over and he said I could schedule for 12/1. Out patient stuff. My Daughter say's it's minor stuff she's done the Anesthesia on dozens of patients so quit whining. I'm glad the VA is "Footing" the bill. (Sorry, I couldn't help the pun.)

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
...I need two toes wired in for four to six weeks recovery.
Sounds similar to mine. Mine was four toes worked on, three of which got pins. The surgery was right at nine weeks ago and the pins came out about 5 1/2 weeks after; so ~3 1/2 weeks ago. Not fun stuff, but very glad to be having it done.

I may have posted this before, but the pins were longer than I realized until he showed me the post-surgery x-ray. I just assumed that they just went from the tip of the toes to the main knuckle where the toe joins the foot, but they ran about halfway back to the ankle:
Hand X-ray Radiography Gesture Tints and shades

My first two days after the surgery I lived on gatorade, fig newtons and oxy, and was using a walker to get around the house. (Enjoy... :) )

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Sounds similar to mine. Mine was four toes worked on, three of which got pins. The surgery was right at nine weeks ago and the pins came out about 5 1/2 weeks after; so ~3 1/2 weeks ago. Not fun stuff, but very glad to be having it done.

I may have posted this before, but the pins were longer than I realized until he showed me the post-surgery x-ray. I just assumed that they just went from the tip of the toes to the main knuckle where the toe joins the foot, but they ran about halfway back to the ankle:
View attachment 14091

My first two days after the surgery I lived on gatorade, fig newtons and oxy, and was using a walker to get around the house. (Enjoy... :) )
Oxycotin? Makes me throw up. Thanks for the information it makes me feel soooo much better.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Oxycotin?
Oxycodone. I don't really know what the difference is between the two. Also Tramadol; Oxy for serious pain, the Tramadol for more moderate. I ended up eventually taking all the Tramadol but not all the Oxycodone. I'm not a big fan of taking really hard stuff unless I just have to. He also gave me a prescription for some anti-nausea stuff (Promethazine iirc) but I fortunately never needed it.

Main frustrations were just being gimped. As long as the pins were in, there was no putting on a shoe, which really limits some things. Being my driving foot, it took quite a while before I could drive myself around also. My wife has cut the front yard once, but the back yard hasn't been cut in two months. Not being able to just go out into the woods or even the yard because even plain old grass can snag the heads of the pins and pull on them, was truly annoying. Probably biggest annoyance was the first few weeks just trying to take a shower. Wasn't supposed to get it wet, so I put a kitchen-size garbage bag on my leg & bungie-corded it tight at the ankle and calf. Made it uncomfortable and slippery on the floor at the same time. Lastly, I still can't sleep in bed. While the foot doesn't hurt all that much anymore, it still tingles like when your hand or foot goes to sleep. So sleeping in bed, every time I move my foot, turn over, whatever, the feeling wakes me up. I've tried it three times since getting the pins removed, but no luck yet. For two months now I've been sleeping sitting up on the storm-cellar couch with the foot elevated on a cushion on top of an ottoman.

Other than that, it's all fun & games. I definitely got caught up on my quota of netflix, prime video and youtube, so there's that to look forward to.

• Sad
Reactions: Garand

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Oxycodone. I don't really know what the difference is between the two. Also Tramadol; Oxy for serious pain, the Tramadol for more moderate. I ended up eventually taking all the Tramadol but not all the Oxycodone. I'm not a big fan of taking really hard stuff unless I just have to. He also gave me a prescription for some anti-nausea stuff (Promethazine iirc) but I fortunately never needed it.

Main frustrations were just being gimped. As long as the pins were in, there was no putting on a shoe, which really limits some things. Being my driving foot, it took quite a while before I could drive myself around also. My wife has cut the front yard once, but the back yard hasn't been cut in two months. Not being able to just go out into the woods or even the yard because even plain old grass can snag the heads of the pins and pull on them, was truly annoying. Probably biggest annoyance was the first few weeks just trying to take a shower. Wasn't supposed to get it wet, so I put a kitchen-size garbage bag on my leg & bungie-corded it tight at the ankle and calf. Made it uncomfortable and slippery on the floor at the same time. Lastly, I still can't sleep in bed. While the foot doesn't hurt all that much anymore, it still tingles like when your hand or foot goes to sleep. So sleeping in bed, every time I move my foot, turn over, whatever, the feeling wakes me up. I've tried it three times since getting the pins removed, but no luck yet. For two months now I've been sleeping sitting up on the storm-cellar couch with the foot elevated on a cushion on top of an ottoman.

Other than that, it's all fun & games. I definitely got caught up on my quota of netflix, prime video and youtube, so there's that to look forward to.
Thanks. At least it will be Winter with not much to do outside anyway. They said I'll be wearing a "Boot" whatever that is. Left foot so I'll be able to drive.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The "Boot"could be one of those padded velcro gizmos similar to one you see on people with a broken foot.
I'm probably not to descriptive. My mother had one for her left foot when she had her big toe then the next one over removed due to being diabetic and poor circulation. Second one had to be removed to allow proper wound closure.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Well, with JMD's post almost 2 weeks ago and nothing since then and wifey having Covid19.
I'm beginning to wonder about both their conditions.
Considering what it put me through at my age and what his age and health actually might be? And for some age ain't a factor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts