1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
A positive confirmation that our beloved 1911 is not only alive but a member of the elite combat community.

Thanks Garand.

RIKA :)

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I
t may be old but certainly not obsolete.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
yes, thanks for the 'read'

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Last I had heard, USMC Force Recon was trying to put a .45 into the hand of every operator. As of last year they were still running about a 50/50 mix of 9mm Baretta's and the .45 M1911.

When they de-milled the military's huge stockpile of aging M911's, most made during WWII, the USMC selected the very best in their inventory, many in un-issued condition, and stored them.

These WWII era weapons were the first of the new M1911 SOCOM pistols that Force Recon received.

They would strip the frame, weld a light/laser rail to the underside, and then re-build it with all new parts, mostly Wilson. The pistol would then be issued with 7 new Wilson mags.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
is the <font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font> talking about the rd, or the gun? The1911, in an alloy Commander 9mm is a great practice gun, especially if one also has a Detonics length Colt .22 unit, with its steel slide and floating chamber.

Yes, 230 gr .45 ball is obsolete when it comes to being a manstopper, and the non-plus p 230 gr jhps are little, if any better. Animal tests prove that. However, anybody who can't be bothered to keep 160 gr Cor Bon PowRball ammo in his .45 is just a loser, anyway.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I prefer the 9mm Colt Combat Commander myself, I've had a couple of bad experiences with alloy frame guns. I'm sure that the marines would feel bad being called a loser, by someone who has been dishonorably discharged from the Army then spent the remainder of his life, in and out of prison as a mediocre petty thief!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
1911 is far from obsolete, although I feel it has some outdated mechanisms.
a couple opinions:

- barrel bushing can be replaced with HK style o-ring

- linkless barrels have shown to get near match accuracy, which is perfectly fine with a combat weapon

- not sure how important the grip safety is

- external extractors have been proven to be reliable in the worst conditions, HK, Glocks, etc. despite the argument that it "leaves another hole for crap to get in."

Regardless, they are being used by top operators the world over. 230gr .45" bullet @ 850FPS might not be the latest, greatest but for sure a couple of them will get the job done. Or are groups like the MEU(SOC) and Delta deluding themselves?

I also found it interesting that Pat Rogers (the guy who put out the spec for the new pistol) added a light rail.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
u aint a Delta operator. What THEY might find useful, in a tunnel, or when sneaking in for a hostage rescue, is not your issue, at all. KISS *****. You need a light that you can point where you AINT pointing a gun, anyway, or even have the gun OUT where it's visible, so why not just use THAT light with the gun, hmm? if use a side switch and AA light, you can have the complete benefit of the 2 handed grip, instead of a half assed abortion of it, using a light with the switch STUPIDLY on the ass end of it.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
there have been MANY cases wherein MULTIPLE chest hits with the .45, to say nothing of a dozen hits to the guts, shoulder, etc, did NOT have the desired immediate effect, ya know. I personally know a guy who got shot thru one lung by his friend, ND, as he lit his pipe. He THOUGHT he'd been hit, but it wasn't until he heard-felt the sucking hole in his chest that he was SURE about it. :) So much for the "adrenalin" being what makes guys hard to stop. Waste 1/3rd of your 300 ft lbs on the far side of the man, and you AINT hitting him all that hard. Same effect, really, as a 380 jhp that expanded and stayed IN the man.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please post detailed sources of these above mentioned statements.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
One nice thing you can do with the Light rail, is an IR laser that shows up on NVDs, but is invisible to the naked eye.

There are many factors involved with how someone reacts to being shot, and whether or not they even realize it at the time.

:devil:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
most involve using a wussy load, and getting a poor hit, or several of such. If you use a real load, get a fast pair of chest hits, the odds are FAR better that he'll be stopped than if you gut hit him with a couple of rds of .45 ball, slowly.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Your flinching and inability to hit anything at more than hand-toe distances is legendary. Please provide more comedy.

RIKA

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Anyone here recall the Network Custom Guns gas operated conversion for the 1911A1?If I remember it right, it was a fixed barrel (Bar-Sto?)conversion,with very little exposed casewhile in lock -up.What stuck in my mind was the reliability with standard .45ACP AND the same safety and function with +P's.Just the thinmg for a Super conversion,not to mention one of the neck down conversions(.400 Cor Bon,etc.).I don't thinl a lot of them sold,but that may have been the perceptiuon of it as a "niche"product.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
the regular gun works fine, with loads WAY beyond what guys THINK is ok in a 1911. You just have to wake up and use the lighter, 165 gr jhp loads, or the CorBon PowRBall that's all. At 1300 fps they are still quite controlable in a full size and wt 1911, ditto at 1200 fps in a lw Commander. Because they are 60% larger in diameter than a 357, they work just fine at such velocities, while the .36" bullets tend to need another 100-200 fps for reliable, full diameter expansion in flesh. Not, jello, not water, but rather, FLESH and blood, especially with CLOTHING in front of the flesh, to clog up the hp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts