Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

If you were unexpectedly swept out to sea by a 20 foot tidal wave would that consist

• No It would not be a SHTF situation, but I would not survive.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes it would be a SHTF situation, but I would have escaped the danger area before it hit.

• 11Kreported dead. I would never be caught in such a situation because I know best they were jerks.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a poll, and I am sorry but I really don't want any replies on this topic other than poll selections. Please answer the poll question from the choices provided or don't bother, your choice. I know there is at least one person on these boards who consistently says that no one here will ever experience a real SHTF situation - well here is one for you - don't you think:

Today a 20 foot tidal wave hit across hundreds of miles of Asia, and it is believed that up to 11,000 people are dead, maybe more. Who knows what the final toll will be. My bet is that many of them werer swept off of islands and out to sea. If you were swept away how would you fare? Would you think "oh man the shit really has hit the fan, this is do or die" or would you think "this is nothing to worry about only a minor inconvenience" or would you think: "only jerks got caught up in it"? If you were at the beach and a 20 foot tidal wave struck unexpectedly and swept you out to sea - would you survive?

Don't give a reply to the post, just to the poll, this is on the honor system as I could not prevent replies. If you want to discuss it please start another thread.

Reactions: brass hammer

·
Registered
779 Posts
Glenn, I am not seeing a typical forum poll (ie: click on choice, click on "vote")

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe because the poll was not finished yet...

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
no, it's not, because it's simple to move someplace where there's still electricity, still drinking water in the pipes, where money still has value. This is just a minor, localized problem, of no meaning whatsoever to people a mere 50 miles away.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Try telling the famlies of the 14 000 and counting that its a "minor, localized problem."

It has great meaning to me, on the other side of the world. Compassion is something you will never understand.

BTW sorry glen, wont post here again.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
no, it's not, because it's simple to move someplace where there's still electricity, still drinking water in the pipes, where money still has value. This is just a minor, localized problem, of no meaning whatsoever to people a mere 50 miles away.
The damage was over an area THOUSANDS of MILES IN DIAMETER.

The rotation of the earth was affected.

You don't have a clue. Some of the waves were moving at speeds up to 500mph.

The total destruction was greater than a nuke attack.

There wasn't a mere 50 miles away for most of the places hit.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
:dunce: Should we start another thread still or discuss here?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
If the original question is "you were swept out to sea", doesn't that negate the choices of not being caught in it?

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doesn't matter to me anymore. I tried to make this one just a poll but could not find how to do that like on the old format. Go aead and discuss away as far as i am concerned.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I voted SHTF/ probably wouldn't survive. Technically it isn't a SHTF like andy describes but it would be a personal nightmare - it'll be tough to do anything out there. I've been in big storm surf before and it's pretty hairy but I believe the dynamics of a tsunami are far different. The water recedes a looong way from the original shoreline and piles up on itself, then surges forward. If you get caught in the initial rip current like flow away from shore, I'm sure it would be like mine caving in. If you are caught in the actual wave, it would be like an avalanche.

If you survive the wave and you get caught in the receding water, I have no idea what the dynamics would be like. Rip currents aren't a problem (just swim perpindicular until your out of the sandy water) but the receding water after a tsunami might be replete with boils and undertows which are deadly. Best thing to do would be to do a dead man's float with wood or something. Without that, take your pants or shirt off, tie the legs/arms and blow them up with air to help make improvised flotation. Wait till the turbulence settles and get your bearing from there.

Because of their nature, the coast guard/navy/life guards, etc would have taken the full brunt of the wave, so I doubt they'd be looking for survivors in the water. All the boats would probably be FUBAR'd. Rescuse services are already overwhelmed looking for people under buildings, etc. so chances for rescue out in the water would be slim... not a good time to be wearing black or OD :D

just some thoughts

cheers

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Hey, I guess I was wrong about some of it... the Thai navy has apparently already found survivors in the water. Great news.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/4026938/detail.html

There is also a video of the tsunami hitting at that link, but I can't get it to work on my computer here. Some photos too.

cheers

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One guy, I think some kind of worker for the Oprah Winfrey show (of all things) was there on vacation. He was swept away, he said out to sea (but who knows how far out, I am sure it seemed like he was way out to him at that moment) where he and a friend held onto a telephone pole and a mattress for half a minute (his time conception)until another wave hit, and I am guessing he rode it back into shore. He wound up atop a building that held up through it all, but was separated from his friend.

Survivable, I guess so. Luck involved (fate, kismet, karma, chance - whatever) - definitely so.

Wow.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Yeah, I just watched that video and it doesn't look all that bad until I compare it to the white 2 story building on the bottom. Two successive waves... I think the best thing to do once you're past the initial wall would be to try to point your feat downflow (like if you go overboard on a rafting trip) and ride it out on your back. Hairy stuff indeed.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of amazing stories coming out about people who survived but not enough as the numbers of dead increases hourly. That will also go up as people dfie of infection from their wounds. The number of dead may mushroom even more astronomically if disease breaks out with all of those corpses around not buried or cremated. If that happens my guess would be over 100 thousand dead; now they are estimating that there maybe as many as 50 thousand!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Yes its frightening stuff. Some so-called experts are predicting that could happen on our West Coast. Glad I don't live in CA though I worry about Hard Ball and Stillwater Bill.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I voted SHTF/probably wouldnt survive, if your swept out to sea by a tsunami, who knows what kind of undercurrents and suction is happening out there; Not to mention debris that has been washed out with you could be seriously dangerous.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
It actually moved an island 9 meters! This was checked by GPS. That's one hell of a displacement for a single event. The rotation of the earth was affected. Don't know if a day has been lengthened or shortened.

Probably just the earth making an adjustment and fixing "global warming" (wouldn't that be ironic)

Right now, they can't deal with the bodies quickly enough and they are expecting all kinds of diseases to crop up...

:devil:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I seem to remember something about creation groaning for the Creator to return. . .

1 - 20 of 35 Posts