Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much to convert into gold and then where to stash the stuff. I have several buddies who have no idea that they have a gold coin or two. :) They aint going anywhere and even if they did, I could still access the coins. Some coins are in cemeteries, some are in storage units, a few are just buried, where other things are buried.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
cash and gold after the first few days will only be coveted by the idiots in the room, barter will take over as supplies run low.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I guess I'll fire up the old metal detector and check out a few cemeteries in the OKC area. Hard hat and a safety vest and no one would be the wiser.🤣

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
For some reason, I don't believe you, and even if it is true, I really don't care.

Because, if your predictions of SHTF are correct, complete with warlords and being instantly shot at if you're in the open, then gold will have no value whatsoever.

Food, Medicine, Ammo, weapons, etc. These will be the currency of the day.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Gold, huh. You can't eat it, can't shoot it, no medicinal value so what survival value? 50 rounds of .22 LR would be worth more than a gold coin.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
At least silver in the right form and molecule can serve as a mild antibiotic. Hence the mythos that developed around it of "warding off evil".

Wait when dumbshit reads the above he'll claim I believe in vampires and werewolves.🤣

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
This thread does highlight an issue, especially if you run in circles where criminals are rampant. Don't go bragging about where you cache anything of value. guns, ammo, gold, cash, medicines, etc. I don't have that problem with my family or friends. But we aren't criminals.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
issue is how much cash to keep on hand

how much to convert into gold and then where to stash the stuff…
We don’t keep a lot of actual, real ‘cash’ on hand. A few thousand in one of the safes in the business’ building, and that’s largely it.

None of it converted into gold. Fwiw, you don’t convert money to gold; you use money to BUY gold, sell gold, etc. The difference is much more than just semantics. You’re buying an item (gold), just as if you were buying groceries, gasoline, whatever. Gold has the advantage (say, compared to gasoline) of unlimited shelf life; but it by itself won’t power your car. You have to hope you can find someone who HAS gasoline, hope it’s still within its shelf life, and hope that they’re willing to trade for the gold. That much reliance on hope in an emergency situation is simply outside my comfort zone. Gold can absolutely have a place, but many people put too much faith in it without giving it much objective thought.

From an overall investment point of view, personally I don’t bother with gold simply because historically it barely keeps up with inflation, so investment-wise it’s not a good option. From an emergency/shtf perspective, however, it could be worth having some if you truly believe it will become an accepted form of barter. That absolutely could happen. But I don’t see the US becoming a barter-based economy in my lifetime.

I could be wrong, but even if I am, and gold becomes the barter standard for buying life necessities, I’d still rather have the life necessities to begin with. If I were planning for a wandering-nomad post-apocalypse life, it could also have some value. I just don’t see me doing that either.

Some people refer to ‘cash on hand’ in terms of money other than actual cash – things like money in the checking account, etc. We do keep a fair amount there in both personal and business accounts, but not years’ worth or anything. If I ever do get the chance to retire, that amount will increase substantially; basically an oversize emergency fund used as a buffer against market ups & downs.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
We don’t keep a lot of actual, real ‘cash’ on hand. A few thousand in one of the safes in the business’ building, and that’s largely it.

None of it converted into gold. Fwiw, you don’t convert money to gold; you use money to BUY gold, sell gold, etc. The difference is much more than just semantics. You’re buying an item (gold), just as if you were buying groceries, gasoline, whatever. Gold has the advantage (say, compared to gasoline) of unlimited shelf life; but it by itself won’t power your car. You have to hope you can find someone who HAS gasoline, hope it’s still within its shelf life, and hope that they’re willing to trade for the gold. That much reliance on hope in an emergency situation is simply outside my comfort zone. Gold can absolutely have a place, but many people put too much faith in it without giving it much objective thought.

From an overall investment point of view, personally I don’t bother with gold simply because historically it barely keeps up with inflation, so investment-wise it’s not a good option. From an emergency/shtf perspective, however, it could be worth having some if you truly believe it will become an accepted form of barter. That absolutely could happen. But I don’t see the US becoming a barter-based economy in my lifetime.

I could be wrong, but even if I am, and gold becomes the barter standard for buying life necessities, I’d still rather have the life necessities to begin with. If I were planning for a wandering-nomad post-apocalypse life, it could also have some value. I just don’t see me doing that either.

Some people refer to ‘cash on hand’ in terms of money other than actual cash – things like money in the checking account, etc. We do keep a fair amount there in both personal and business accounts, but not years’ worth or anything. If I ever do get the chance to retire, that amount will increase substantially; basically an oversize emergency fund used as a buffer against market ups & downs.
this is an excellent post!

another thing to consider is liquid assets, stuff you can turn into cash quickly and easily, if needed.

we keep a modest amount of emergency money in a safe, and we have some other valuables in a safe as well.

I don't see any permanent situation developing where we will be without society for any real length of time. There may be disasters, riots, etc, but nothing permanent.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I agree, look at the former Yugoslavia..if we get that divided well...it happens it happens if not then it don't...how soon? No freaking clue.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
I like the idea of bartering liquor, particularly Whiskey, personally hate the stuff, I prefer Rum, so I won't drink the inventory, but others do like it. A couple of dozen on those small plastic bottles in hard times would be good trading material.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I like the idea of bartering liquor, particularly Whiskey, personally hate the stuff, I prefer Rum, so I won't drink the inventory, but others do like it. A couple of dozen on those small plastic bottles in hard times would be good trading material.
I like a good bourbon, not crazy about rye.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I like Absolute Vodka.
Stuff like Smirnoff is over rated Yak piss.

Really around here copper tubing, corn meal and a few other odds and ends would work.

Now for liabilities....and low lifes. I think my neighbors grandkid has a rolling meth lab in his vehicle.
Or it could be the shitty vehicle stinking that bad like an over heated battery. Of course blaring crap music with a base speaker....what a ******* wagon.🤮🙄

1 - 17 of 17 Posts