Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
choice is to be limited to 1, 2, 3,4, 5, guys, or why there's a dollar limit on the total $ spent, etc. I mean, are you NEVER going to have more money? If so, how can you afford to PRACTICE enough, with any centerfire? Are you limited to the USA, the lower 48 states, the W Hemisphere, or what? If it's political, why don't you just move? If it's political, it's almost certain that you need a silenced .22 pocket auto, a powerful pocket centerfire, and a concealable, silenced autorifle, preferably a good 223, with a .22 unit, for its versatility, lw etc, , cause you WILL run afoul of such ridiculous rules, sooner or later, and those 3 are the most likely to be of help in getting clear of the problem, and they can handle anything else that's "handleable", as well as practice, compete, hunt, etc. That is, IF your skill level is already very high. If it's not, then you need a practice pistol. If your pocket pistols are DAO, then your practice pistol needs to be DAO. Ditto, if your pocket pistols are SA, your practice pistol should be SA.

Everybody shuould have at least one silenced autopistol and one silenced auto rifle cached, even if they ARE "just" .22's. They will suffice to get something better. The .22 rifle should be a takedown model, or at least have a retractable or folder stock, and a 6" barrel, so that it and the can mean that it's still stowable, out of sight, in your backpack., and it keeps regular "high speed" lr hp ammo subsonic. Lugging around two longarms is a ridiculous proposition, unless at least one of them is stowable.

The .22 rifle's barrel should be readily removable, and you should have a spare barrel for it. Ditto the .22 pistol, and both should have spare extractors, ejectors, and firing pins, and you should have a rattail file to run down the barrel, as well as a Dremel with which to alter the breechface, and a brass catcher that fits each model, as well as some "liquid Bandage", ski gloves, etc, to prevent the leaving of prints, as well as a disguise, concealable armor, etc. Then if there's just a personal matter that must be attended-to, and can't be handled with a pc of drill rod that's either up your sleever or down your pants leg, you have a fair chance of dealing with it, with a minimal risk to your otherwise mundane life.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am assuming there is a typo in the first sentence.

"choice is to be limited to 1, 2, 3,4, 5, guys..."

Change the word guys to guns and it makes a lot more sense. Just a guess on my part.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
gunkid says: "The .22 rifle's barrel should be readily removable, and you should have a spare barrel for it. Ditto the .22 pistol, and both should have spare extractors, ejectors, and firing pins, and you should have a rattail file to run down the barrel, as well as a Dremel with which to alter the breechface, and a brass catcher that fits each model as well as some "liquid Bandage", ski gloves, etc, to prevent the leaving of prints, as well as a disguise, concealable armor, etc. Then if there's just a personal matter that must be attended-to, and can't be handled with a pc of drill rod that's either up your sleever or down your pants leg, you have a fair chance of dealing with it, with a minimal risk to your otherwise mundane life."

Somebody correct me if I have misread this. Seems like gk has drifted from guns and survival into the area of assassination what with leaving no prints and carrying drill rod up the sleever or down the pants leg. Also altering the bore and modifying the breechface.

What I want to know is, who is it that you want to" have a fair chance of dealing with it, with a minimal risk to your otherwise mundane life"?

Seems like an assassination or James Bond forum might be in order for posts like this. If I am wrong and am being judgemental and totally out of order, somebody please correct me and I will apologize.

I also want to know why the drill rod. Are you going to whack victim on the head with it or stick him with it?

RIKA

OOK! I just edited my post. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
anyways, the choice for me is limited because of money. This doesn't mean that I can't afford to get practice with what I get, it means that I just can't (or choose not to) budget money to keep acquiring firearms that I won't practice enough with. Goal for me is to get an open carry piece that serves as a "WTF is that?" at home piece. A CCW gun for IWB (my preference) and a pocket or hideout piece. All with as close to the same manual of arms as possible.

Longarms I don't get as much practice with because a lot of times it's hot as @$#% out here... with the barrel heating up to high hell, magazines cooking in 110 degree heat, etc. it's just not a jolly time in the summer. For a longarm, I have a Bulgarian SLR 100 but got it because the wife really warmed up to it (how could I say no?). She can have it, I plan to get an AR, should serve a lot of purposes from barricaded home defense to longer range stuff to plinking with an upper swap.

So that's why my choice is basically limited to 3+1. I could probably afford more if I try, but I have other priorities. Money is the biggest factor or I'd just get all four and be done with it and spend what's left after bills on ammunition. It's a lot easier for me to dump $50 on ammo than it is to put $50 in the savings... much less get $500+ at one time (usually only during tax season).

So yeah, it's my problem that I limit myself and others could be in the same boat... hence, the need to decide "only" on a certain number of guns.

cheers

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, just today I saw a post, guy said $200 TOPS for some 18 year old girl's HD gun, and right away the jerkoffs start in with the Garands ($600 and up) the 12 ga pumps ( yeah right, she'll REALLY practice enough with it) etc, etc. People can't effing READ. The guy said $200, cause she's a poverty stricken STUDENT. you wanna DONATE your garand to her, great, but other wise, it's a .22 rifle, a 9mm carbine, an sks, MAYBE a Universal .30 carbine, or a well used, low $ type of TWENTY ga pump, with a stock shortened to fit her, recoil pad, IF somebody will reload for her, enough 3/4 oz skeet loads to make her comfortable with it, and IF she can hold it one handed while she makes a phone call.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
QUOTE=andy]well used, low $ type of TWENTY ga pump, with a stock shortened to fit her, recoil pad, IF somebody will reload for her, enough 3/4 oz skeet loads to make her comfortable with it, and IF she can hold it one handed while she makes a phone call.[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you are going with that, but you can get a youth model pump shotgun NEW for the near $200 price range. Matter of fact, my 5'1" wife has one (Mossberg Bandit) that fits her perfectly without any modification. ...and she can shoot factory loads (low brass, high brass, buckshot, 2 3/4", 3", etc.) through it with ease. recoil is light enough to not really phase her, but she does know it after shooting many 3" mags to be honest. Also, slugs are pretty stout, but even I will admit slugs kick more than fine shot....lol. You might not want to believe it of women, but the first time she brought it out, she shot just over 2.5 boxes with no problems from recoil.

KJ

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just because YOU don't know what recoil problems are doesn't mean that they don't exist. Have her fire it with ONE hand,while she's holding a phone, opening a door, holding a light, etc, and SEE what you think about it, after she slaps you because of the big mark on her face,put there by that 20 ga barrel. Combat shooting is not ANYTHING like shooting skeet.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
holding a phone?

Obstensively to diall 911? You dial, put the phone down, not hang up and handle the gun. Dial a prayer (911) can listen to the events unfold and the tape can make a big difference if you end up in court.

Opening a door? Suicide. The door stays shut and you barricade yourself in a defensive position.

Fighting your way to get out (that's why you're opening the door), shoot, then scoot. Shoot to make the other guy duck then you open the door partially and use your foot to open it the rest of the way, both hands on the shotgun.

Holding a light? For a home defense type weapon, mount a light. It's cheap and easy. Otherwise learn to properly hold both the gun and a light.

Training overcomes every limitation you've mentioned.

That's right combat is not like shooting skeet. Train and drill.

Training takes over under stress.

:devil:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i"d say a canned .22 as a "spare to bury" gun, an alloy or polymer framed9mm pocket pistol to carry(and not shoot much at all), a .22 pocket pistol to practice some with, and a steel framed 9mm pocket pistol to practice a lot with, cover the realistic bases real well.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
andy said:
just because YOU don't know what recoil problems are doesn't mean that they don't exist. Have her fire it with ONE hand,while she's holding a phone, opening a door, holding a light, etc, and SEE what you think about it, after she slaps you because of the big mark on her face,put there by that 20 ga barrel. Combat shooting is not ANYTHING like shooting skeet.
Man, you are such a joke. I had a longer reply, but figured this was enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts