Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in cammies and beanie. i could sleep easily and it's 40F on a pair of trash bags. I made the base of the lean to about 6" too wide to match the width of the compressed debris in the 55 gal drum liners. sun is shining on the south half of the lean to it's oriented north and south on my patio 4.5 ft high is plenty high enough to let me sit up on a 10" high raised wooden bed. should have just made it 3 ft wide at the base. another layer of the plastic

I'm 6 ft tall, so I made the shelter 6.5 ft long, but the extra 6" is wasted, cause t he plastic pooches out enough to gain any needed stretching room if oyou dont anticipate having to work in the ljean to, 4 ft height would be lenty at the head end, and 2.5 ft high at the foot end. 6"less if on the drumliuners'debr8s bags instead of the raised bed.

13 mph wind is fluffing the plastic, but i dont feel it at all

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for just an emergency shelter it should be just 2.5 ft tall and wide at the head end, 6 ft long, 2x2 at the foot end. There's also no need of the clear plastic vertical side, cause the siberian fire lay projects its heat 6 ft in one direction. Set it 4 ft from the head end, coaxial with the shelter. your upper body will be warm enough that you can wrap your jacket around your feet and legs and stick them in your pack You'd be sleeping ok for a few hours at 0F, given the fire. then youd have to move foward the logs. If you have som hot rocks or hot water bottles, be even warmer for longer.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
a camp fire in a possible hostile environment, WOW, not planning to live long are you?

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Why is this in the new user forum?

How many forums is this stuff strewn across?

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
John - experimenting and learning are good, but there comes a time when a conclusion has to be reached or nothing is gained. You've been claiming to be experimenting with shelters made out of trash bags, leaves, etc, for years now.

What's the final outcome/conclusion/solution?

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
John - it's now 2021. How many years to reach a solution on debris-stuffed plastic or mylar bags for sleeping in...?

From 2016:
......you wont sleep waf unless you take along some timed-release Ambian 10mg tablets. 5-7 hours of SOLID rest per night can easily make all the difference, when everything else is messed-up...

...The bug netting, with some debris, can make for a lot of insulative value...
2017:
...it's going to work just fine down to 20F, perhaps even to 10F. It will reach 10F if you can stuff dry debris between the layers...
...If I can find debris that's not soaking wet, I can handle 0F on the ground...
...5-6 hours of rest with a 10m timed release ambien...

...bug net and plastic sheeting... ...With dry debris between all the layers, it'll go down to 10f in the hammock, for sure, and same wlll be true on the ground if you can stuff the plastic sheeting-bag with debris.

...It'll be good to 20f on the ground, given the debris between layers...

...cover the tyvek with brush, with lots of debris inside to insulate you from the cold ground...
2018:
...local debris can be stuffed between the 2 mylar bags...

...very few of the leaves/grass, etc, can get past the 4 items, so the debris can't all fall down under me..
I could go on & on, citing examples from year after year, and these are just from this forum; not the internet at large. My point is simply that for well over a decade you have been "perfecting" this mylar/plastic/whatever "sleeping system", and still no solution/resolution. And before you deny it, I can point out a particular youtube video if you like (that includes one of your booking photos; I believe the one from 2006), whose sole point is making fun of your long-running tyrades including these mylar (and velcro'ed mylar) contrivances. And that video was posted a little over a decade ago, meaning it was old news even then; ten years ago now.

You and I have been on forums together for more than 20 years and I honestly can't recall a time when you weren't on this particular train. How many decades do you think it will take before you reach a working solution?

·
Registered
718 Posts
John in AR- One very important thing I noticed in that series of qouts you posted of Melvin's.

There's a lot of very critical "Ifs" in there regarding finding leaves for his "Organic" Sleep System.:uhh:

The big epic fail is relying on finding leaves or other debris at critical times and temperatures.

Some of the coldest times of the months are also the worse for finding leaves that haven't rotted halfway or more into humus.

If he can't find his debris of sufficient quantity or dryness when it gets down to 10F he'll end up as a stupe-cicle.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I’m just wondering what the secret decoder is that you need in order to find all the related posts in the right order across the many forums and incorrect places.

Without reading them in the correct order, they seem even more bizarre. But since he can’t keep them organized, then he can’t help but look dumb...

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
The more of this leaves and garbage bag crap that Melvin posts, the more I get the impression that if the balloon ever goes up, his way of thinking says he only intends to survive on the short run. None of his plans have ever been about the long haul.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think all of these posts are focused on the "alone" show. Another in a long list of failed fantasies. He will never be on the show. He would not make it past the screening process, and if he did, he wouldn't survive the boot camp.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
To be kind the "Alone" fantasy has only been going on for around 18 months.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
How long has he been doing the debris camping gear? It’s hard to tell with it scattered in every forum on this site.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
debris camping gear has been going on at least 5 years, and I put it down to the time he was homeless, living in the van, where someone stole the battery while he was sleeping under the influence of sleeping pills.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
He claims to be in his shelter, but can’t post a picture?

He is in his house imagining being in his imaginary shelter...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if his "home" is the van parked in a WalMart parking lot. That would be near his dumpster supply system.
I noticed that Walmart has started posting signage, or more of it, about overnight parking not allowed.
Maybe his van along with his laptop got towed off?
Probably went to the tire and auto center to see about getting wifey hot patched after she sprung a leak and they impounded the van.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
I noticed that Walmart has started posting signage, or more of it, about overnight parking not allowed.
Maybe his van along with his laptop got towed off?
Probably went to the tire and auto center to see about getting wifey hot patched after she sprung a leak and they impounded the van.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts