Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cause the 308's recoil is enough to FLATTEN the points of the softpoints, on the rds in the bottom half of the mag. Since the 308 guys will be MISSING a lot more (due to lack of silencer, lack of .22 unit practice, and stupidly being in open country in daylight, firing at long range, at stuff they can't SEE (using cover) THINKING they can shoot thru brush, are unable to conceal their rifle, etc, they will be using lots more ammo, so they need to carry a lot more ammo than does the smarter man, and 308 ball aint worth a hoot at keeping a deer in the same county in which he was shot.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
You've made a lot of assumptions in your post, most of which simply are not correct.

I really like your theory that if someone uses a .308 they automatically have to be standing around in the open.

And the part about firing at stuff they can't see is very entertaining too.

Missing a lot because they don't have a .22 unit to practice with - I practice with actual .308 ammo. (imagine that.) Practicing with the actual ammo and loads you will be using. Dunno why that is a negative.

Lack of a silencer? While they have their place, they are not a substitue for marksmanship or skills. reliance on a crutch will get you killed in short order.

As far as shooting a deer, shot placement is key. To use a wonder round to make up for poor shot placement, is well, stupid on every level imaginable.

Concealability of a rifle? I guess it would depend on the scenario whether or not that was of any value.

Sounds like a lot of inventive reasoning to me, with very little basis in reality.

:devil:

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Personally I've never used a .308 SP in any of the .308/7.62mmx51 rifles I've ever owned, but all of them like Nosler 165 grain Ballistic Tips and Sierra/Hornady 168 grain match bullets. Not to mention the ever cheap FMJ! If one bullet, doesn't work...... change bullets. Thats why we practice. Only a fool would choose a firearm to defend himself that he/she hasn't worked the bugs out of.

By the way, we are all still waiting for you to respond on the questions of you SSI and wonder when your going to post the BOB kit list that youhave ready to go AT THIS MOPMENT!

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Heck, I have quite a few .308 military style weapons and their recoil is negligible. Softest recoil is on the FALs, heaviest on the Galils.

But if you think softpoints are a problem, then go with hollow points. The jacket extends far past the exposed lead tip and feeds just like ball ammo.

Actually, I think there is more damage done to a soft point in it's travel from the magazine up into the chamber then recoil will ever do to it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
A cripple, whether emotional, mental, or physical (or all three) will always NEED a crutch. The assumptions made by the ignorant are just such an example of crutch to fortify their own positions in an intractable mind. There is not one iota of evidence to give creedence to any of those assumptions and they are made, as always with no grip on reality, whatsoever.
SatCong

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
it's 308 autos that can't use Sp's worth a hoot
I guess I'll just stick to failsafes and ballistic silvertips, which have no problems at all and are far more effective than SPs. Fragmenting ball ain't bad either.

The majority of the time, SPs get buggered by feeding from the mag into the chamber, not in the mag itself, however, this is a rifle-by-rifle issue.

Silencers are NOT accuracy-improving devices.

Practicing with the real ammo is more useful than using a less reliable rimfire add-on.

You can conceal a FAL as easily as an AR.

Fragmenting .308 FMJ will outperform fragmenting .223 FMJ on deer, non-fragmenting .308 will greatly outperform non-fragmenting .223. However, if you can hit properly, either does the job just fine. HINT: Shot placement matters most. The "higher performance" bullets just increase your margin of error, but if you can't reliably hit a vital zone, even these won't save you.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Hard Rock said:
None of my .308 auto's do that... and I shoot soft points in them on occasion...

Can you back your statements up?

Mike
HR, I have several deer rifles and not only does it not happen (except maybe one) but even that one the lead tip does not matter for accuracy. Everyone knows that the extream air friction as the bullet leaves the barrel 'wipes' the tip down. I've never seen any difference in accuracy from the first to last shot in any of my 30-06, .308s, and .338s. The only one that bangs up a bit is a very lightweight .308. But again, I've seen no difference in bench rest groops when I sight in using the older ammo (with some bent tips!)

Sounds like a fos argument that is being used to make the 7.62 look bad. About as fos as Kerry's arguments in the debates.

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
cause the 308's recoil is enough to FLATTEN the points of the softpoints, on the rds in the bottom half of the mag. Since the 308 guys will be MISSING a lot more (due to lack of silencer, lack of .22 unit practice, and stupidly being in open country in daylight, firing at long range, at stuff they can't SEE (using cover) THINKING they can shoot thru brush, are unable to conceal their rifle, etc, they will be using lots more ammo, so they need to carry a lot more ammo than does the smarter man, and 308 ball aint worth a hoot at keeping a deer in the same county in which he was shot.
My .308s have a silencer. Why would I want to cripple a fighting rifle with a .22 unit? Why am I standing in open country? I shoot all kinds of non ball rounds with zero issues.

you have weird delusions about how things really work.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
How come my M1A don't miss, am I shooting it wrong? Maybe I should get a piece of shit noise maker 10in. AR. No way, will stick to the many carbine length ARs, but still have an use two 22 conversion units an while they are fun, they are not the do everything the Tard thinks they are. If I want accurate 22s I will get out a bolt gun or even a built 1022 sporter an shoot aspirins at 50 yds. That is a once a month match at the club. Around 30 shooters or more show up.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A cripple, whether emotional, mental, or physical (or all three) will always NEED a crutch. The assumptions made by the ignorant are just such an example of crutch to fortify their own positions in an intractable mind. There is not one iota of evidence to give creedence to any of those assumptions and they are made, as always with no grip on reality, whatsoever.
SatCong
This one pretty well sums up 110%* of IGMO's posts here. 😁

*-Going by his shotgun style drive by posting.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Heck, I have quite a few .308 military style weapons and their recoil is negligible. Softest recoil is on the FALs, heaviest on the Galils.

But if you think softpoints are a problem, then go with hollow points. The jacket extends far past the exposed lead tip and feeds just like ball ammo.

Actually, I think there is more damage done to a soft point in it's travel from the magazine up into the chamber then recoil will ever do to it.
polymer tips are also an option. I guess Boati (whoever he calls himself this week), isn’t aware of different types of ammo, or he simply uses false choices to try (but fail) to make his argument look valid.

most of my .308 hand loads are polymer tipped bullets.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Surely Melvinous Ignoramus is not that ignorant but then again....
For someone who used to sing the praises of the Nosler Partition he sure is ignoring the Ballistic Tip line that's been around for how many decades? Then both Sierra and Hornady have thier own variants of the polymer tipped bullets.
And Nosler has a 70gr .224 dia. bullet I have been wanting to experiment with but this is not the time for experimenting with the component shortages. I've .223 cases coming out the wazoo but no extra powders to burn or primers for that matter if I found those bullets as they were nearly unobtainable before the BLM/Bat-19/Biden shit show kicked in.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
In addition to Polymer tipped bullets, you have hollow points, like the Barnes. They retain their weight really well and open up nicely.

you don’t even have to hand load to use any of these options - there’s plenty of commercial offerings out there. Since we have been assured we only need a few hundred rounds, acquiring the ammo is easy.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Surely Melvinous Ignoramus is not that ignorant but then again....
For someone who used to sing the praises of the Nosler Partition he sure is ignoring the Ballistic Tip line that's been around for how many decades? Then both Sierra and Hornady have thier own variants of the polymer tipped bullets.
That's the weirdest part to me - in a box-fed 5.56 semiauto, softpoints are what are needed, but in a box-fed .308 auto, softpoints won't work well. There's a disconnect there that is obvious to everybody but one.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
That's the weirdest part to me - in a box-fed 5.56 semiauto, softpoints are what are needed, but in a box-fed .308 auto, softpoints won't work well. There's a disconnect there that is obvious to everybody but one.
I think he is claiming the soft points get deformed from the recoil. And they can’t be used after this happens. I was not going to chase him down that rabbit hole, and just thought I’d say there are plenty of other options available. This defeats his argument without requiring hand loads or non existent solutions.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Back in the '90's I was buying my reloading gear and components at Kesselrings in Bellingham Washington. At that time I was shooting a lot of .30-06 out of my Garand. Nosler 165 grain Ballistic Tips were my projectile at that time, my Garand ate at least 1,000 of them over 4 year period. Price was a lot cheaper in those days.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
I think he is claiming the soft points get deformed from the recoil. And they can’t be used after this happens...
I know, but it's an idiotic argument. (I guess I should be used to those by this point...) The .308 has more energy, but it also (usually) has substantially more mass, so the increased energy doesn't translate into an equivalent increase in recoil movement. Beyond that, the fact that guys have been doing it for decades kind of nullifies the claim from the outset. And beyond that, the whole ballistic tip (or whatever brand of polymer-tipped bullets we want to use) nullifies it as well. And beyond even that, his own arguments that long-range shooting isn't necessary nullifies the whole worry of loss of long-range accuracy; at least nullifies it when it's from the guy who claims it doesn't matter in the first place.

But again, "null concept" is something I guess I should just expect when reading his arguments.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
And I think Melvin's logic has been null since getting dropped on his head shortly after birth or huffing airplane glue as a teen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts