Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
according to Rostov. He shoots them at 175 yds with .22 lr rifle, and 50 ft lbs is all they have left out there, just like the 2.5" barreled 22 short pistol. At pistol ranges, the Minx is more likely to get a hit, too, cause it takes the 22 lr nearly half a second to cover 525 ft. That's how much THAT lame knows or cares about ballistics or effectiveness. That's a DIRECT statement from Rostov himself, , 22lr at 175 yds, on a dog,a nd ANY ballistics table will show you that I'm RIGHT about the energy remaining at that range, and about the time of bullet-flight.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I don't remember Rostov saying that and, more importantly, why he would shoot a dog at that distance. Please post a link backing your statement or have the hose attached to your backside for BS removal.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said it, I distinctly remember it, and so do others here. It was probably at Liberty Front. He probably wont deny it, altho he has been hanging around with a lot of pos's lately, and he HAS lied to me, in the past.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Not too long ago I did pop a dog at that distance Rika, and killed him deader than shit.

'Lied' to you JD? About what?

The dog was one of the feral reservation dogs and had killed a couple of kittens in my yard and at one time had growled at the kids. So, the next time I had a crystal clear shot at him, he was 175 yards out, and it was night time. I killed his buddy the night before at 45 yards (feral dogs like to travel in pairs and small packs when they can).

When living near an Indian reservation or at the edge of any large city, you usually have to deal with a lot of feral dogs.

Once again, JD is trying to screw stats in a vain attempt to 'prove' a point. He's trying to justify his anemic, inaacurate little M21 as a 'survival' weapon.

The weapon I used was a Ruger 10/22 with a Butler Creek synthetic stock and a 4x40mm Tasco that with illuminated recticles. The ammo was 36gr Federal high velocity hollowpoint, bulk pack, an ammo which I have found to usually be rather accurate. I had to hold up on the target considerably but I hit the animal in a vital and now he's no longer a bother. There's no substitute for shot placement. BTW, I got him on the first shot.

JD seems to always have a twisted view on the 'facts'. For instance, he's always talking muzzle energy when there are a LOT of other factors. A lot of his gun talk seems to come from the pages of dime novels and role playing games where only one or two factors come into play with a firearm.

He's also always diss'ed the 10/22 as a 'survival' weapon when I know for a fact that I can, and have, harvested an impressive amount of game with one.

Due to the 18" rifle barrel, the 10/22 will ALWAYS be more quiet and more accurate than the M21, whether it be 10 yards or 100 yards.

There's also the assumption by JD that he's the world's best shot and everyone else is 2nd rate, when it seems that Mr. 'Hack' says he's a hack shot and never was that good at the art - a mediocre pistolero. But, regardless of how good he was, that was 30 years ago and I naturally have doubts about braggards who prepetually put down other shooters, especially when they really have no idea how good they really are.

His having minimal trigger time over the past 2 decades is also a factor, as it would be for anyone. To recover from that a person should get a lot of trigger time and bust a lot of caps.

While he's shot almost none, I've shot probably in excess of several hundred thousand rounds of just .22LR alone in just the last few years (I buy .22LR in the 5000 round case) and I grew up with a rifle in my hands in some open, wild country.

I'm not alone in this much shooting as I'm sure many here have a lot of trigger time also.

Then there's age and fading eyesight thing with him. He wears coke bottle glasses and all he talks about are 6 yard to 50 yard encounters, with the average being 25 yards. There's very little talk of longer range shooting coming from him.

A person has got to know his limitation and face a bit of reality about his or her strengths and weaknesses. If a man's shooting needs some work, hey, that can usually be improved. If a man needs some practice or some research into something, no problem.

Where I do draw the line is incessent bragging and constant deridement of others as a matter of course. This isn't a prison chow hall, this the real world.Getting called a 'stupe', dumbass, etc, enough wears even the best politeness a bit thin.

There is a difference between bragging and just talking about something. A good general rule to follow is that the the more a man brags, the less he really has.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
175 yds and hitting your dog is mighty good shooting. And a justified shooting at that. I thought that gk was comparing his shooting of dogs from his van to your removing a feral animal. Two entirely different things.

Gunkid routinely lies and twists facts any way he can to justify his thinking and his actions. Too bad he is so totally inept.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I don't drive down the road shooting someone's collie. There's enough feral dogs out here that simply need eliminating. There is gigantic stray animal problem in and near US cities and their outskirts, especially in this warm climate.

JD, you forgot to mention that I didn't use a bipod either, only a sling.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did the sling hold the dog still for the .50 second of bullet flight, asshole? All people have to do is put a COLLAR on their dog,with their NAME and addy, if they don't want the mutt's getting shot. See, they don't want to be RESPONIBLE for what their mutt does, when it strays from their property. So, no problem with shooting the mutts, and if it comes to that, shooting the owner TOO, if he gets stupid about it.

You lied to me about sending me the web-shot of JJ's crap, liar.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
mrostov said:
I don't drive down the road shooting someone's collie. There's enough feral dogs out here that simply need eliminating. There is gigantic stray animal problem in and near US cities and their outskirts, especially in this warm climate.
Mike, I hope that you don't think that I was implying that you would do so. I was NOT. I am aware of the problem animals and have removed some from time to time myself.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
You lied to me about sending me the web-shot of JJ's crap, liar.
Oh, that. THAT was a LONG time ago.

I told you at the time that I had figured out that you were wrong about who he was. It would have been a pointless endevour.

Nowadays JJ and I seem to not have a problem with each other so, fuck it, just get on with life, and find something better to do. Many of these personal spats on the web are a huge waste of time and amount to nothing.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
But Mike, aren't YOU JJ too?

:devil:

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
That a 175-yard .22LR shot is do-able, I have no question at all. One of my most common targets (and one of my favorites) is a 55-gallon drum laid end-wise at 160 yards out in the pasture. While it’s probably twice the target size of a normal dog, 24” round or so, that’s offset by other factors.

- I’m almost always shooting a 1-9 twist CAR-15 with a conversion unit; not the most accurate .22 rifle around (although it’s surprisingly good).
- It’s got only a 14.5” barrel
- It’s got a non-tuned factory AR trigger

Even with all those disadvantages, I can still hit the barrel 10 out of 10 now, off-hand.

Using a fence post for a rest, I can double-tap quick enough to get both shots fired before the first one impacts; and still hit more than 4 out of 5 times (5 double-taps; ten round mag)

On the rare occasions I use something other than subsonics, it’s either Federal or Winchester bulk pak hp stuff; probably the same Federal stuff Rostov is talking about. And what’s surprising about it is that even at 160 yards, the bulk-pak hp’s will penetrate the steel drum end as often as not. (That’s why I don’t often use them, even though they’re cheaper; they tear up my target.)

If using a “better” rifle, with a better trigger (i.e., my CZ .22LR), I’d have no qualms about attempting a small-to-medium nuisance animal at that range with supersonic hp’s. Not an animal I cared about retrieving for food, or one I cared about putting down instantly, but one that had to be “put down” and if that was the only shot I had; I’d be relatively comfortable with it. All that’s being gambled is a one or two cent .22 round.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
soooo.......taking the shot on a feral dog known to prey on pets and menace children is the same as someone poppig puppies to test heir gear/loads?.....Bad idea to go and stir that $hit up with me.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts