Arms Locker banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a guy with a spade, who knows you are there, can cut you to pcs, knife or no knife. Nobody thinks much of the spade as a weapon, so why think much of a knife? It sure aint much of a tool kit. I'll take an SOG Multitool over any simple blade, any day.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
There are tasks that a good knife is better suited for than your SOG - which isn't a bad multi-tool btw.

I know this topic has come up many times in the past, so I won't re-hash everything.

Just that experienced woodsmen could tell a tenderfoot by how FEW knives he carried.

The multi-tool has it's place, but it cannot replace all your knives - something you'd know after spending any real time in the field.

:devil:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Pretty bad not to understand the difference between a knife and a multi-tool.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Where did this come from? Granted, no one would rely on a knife for every purpose, but this is the first time that I've heard someone say that there was no need to carry a knife (besides the one in the multitool, which usually aren't as conducive to working with as a regular blade). The multitool, no matter which brand you use is very convienent, but the limitation of them is that they do so many things ADEQUETLY, not WELL. Since I don't want to carry a pair of pliers everywhere, I carry a multitool, but I'm not about to use it if I have a pair of pliers available. Same goes for any of the tools, but then again, most of us don't strive for half-assed.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
considering advocacy of hand-on-pocket-pc draw for speed, wouldn't it be important to examine the merits of deployment of a fixed blade versus the blade in the SOG? I carry my leatherman when I go down to Mexico, but only because it's a lot more expendable (and PC) than my usual carry knife. Finding the blade on that and getting it out is slooooow... not just due to lack of practice but it's fundamental to the design.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Carry the larger Swisstool instead and just plan to hammer someone into the ground with it instead of fumbling the blade out.

If the Leatherman actually is large enough so that it protrudes out the bottom of your fist, feel free to ignore the bit about the Swisstool.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Or instead, the Gerber Multitool with the flip out needle nose pliers, very PC but still formidable (as an impact weapon, not as pliers!)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Does anyone here ever even use the blade on their multi-tool when there is another knife around, like another folder?

The blade is never of great design in a multitool, it isnt supposed to be. Its supposed to be crammed in there with everything else. Could I dress a deer with one? Yeah, of course. I could do it with one of those little keyring SAKs if I really had to, so could anyone who knows how to process game. But its going to take much longer, its going to be harder work, and the job will be a terrible one. Medium sized knives exist for a reason.

I wouldn't want to be the guy turning out snare triggers with one either. It would take longer to cut them down to size, and longer to cut them into shape. BIG knives also exist for a reason.

At home, time is money. In the woods, time is food, warmth and energy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Oh boy, so now it's "derogatory" to share little know information about a rare and underappreciated martial system. :bawling:

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I actually like the Swiss Tool better than the Leatherman or Gerber tools, they seem more "flexible" somehow. But a Chicago Cutlery two bladed BT P19, rides my belt most of the time. I can filet fish, clean small and large game with it, and perform the hundred other tasks a good knife does. It would also serve as a formidable combat knife, if pressed into that sevice. A simple,2 1/2" bone handled, three bladed "Old Timer" is carried in my pocket. "Just a knife" sounds like someone not familiar with the outdoors or with fieldcraft. A good knife or more likely, a couple of good knives, are as necessary as good boots in the field. People who don't carry knives invariably ask to borrow someone elses's.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Lucille, explain why my post was derogatory. You've been playing pretty fast and loose with that shit lately.

·
Registered
296 Posts
do not loan out
good knifes,
wifes,
favorite car
truck
or horse.
or a pistol rifle or scatter gun that you intend to use in the future.
end result always the same
they don't funtion the same when returned.
sean

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wylycoyte said:
Lucille, explain why my post was derogatory. You've been playing pretty fast and loose with that shit lately.
Little man, DARE NOT QUESTION THE MIGHTY & POWERFUL OZ!!!

:laugh01:

[Pay no attention the man behind the curtain.]

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
ABCF said:
Little man, DARE NOT QUESTION THE MIGHTY & POWERFUL OZ!!!

:laugh01:

[Pay no attention the man behind the curtain.]

:rolleyes:
Why not? She just ignores all such questioning in a fair and even-handed manner. :;puke02:

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I got deleted for saying I would look for our resident pro's book in the fiction section. Real derogatory, huh? He refers to one of our members as a "little prick" and it stay's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts