Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And they've all taken 4-6 items that are inferior-pointless. If you can't make a debri/tarp shelter warm enough to need no warming fire, and can't start a fire in one of the 5 easy ways available without a ferrorod, you definitely don't belong on the show. The bow will be of zero value to over half of them. and of real value to no more than 1-2 of them The rations are pointless if you know anything. Anyone can manage 5 days of serious effort without any food, if they know to be in ketosis 3 weeks before they launch, gorge themselves on proteins and fat for 2 days before they launch . If you can't make the 48 hooks and set up camp in the first full day, then set out the hooks and make some netting the next day, you're a lop. By the end of the 4th day, you should have plenty of netting and the trotlines, so you'll have caught 5-10 lbs of fish in that time, maybe lot more than that. So why would rations be of any concern? You wont need the pontoon outrigger raft for the first bit of fishing, cause the water wont be all that cold as of yet. Wading with the seine (and the many stakes that hold it) is considerably more easily done than paddling the raft with the seine. When you're naked and have a fire, hot rocks, the debris stuffed 5x10 tarp/blanket, coals and charcoal buried in the ashes, dry clothing, you can emerge from the water, dry out and warm up every 10 minutes if need be. It takes a full day to make the pontoon outrigger raft, so I'd wait with that until I got some food-energy from previous catches.

As soon as you launch, puke up the meal of fish and meat you just ate. onto a layer of grass. go dig some J channels and while waiting on them to catch minnows, look for worms, bugs, grubs, etc. If none of this suffices to give you bait, then you'll have to put some of your puke in tarp/tape baitbags and tie them to stakes in 6" of water. Tear a 1 ft wide strip off of the 12x12 tarp, poke some holes in it, tie some stakes to it and use it to semi-circle the minnows that will be around the bait bags. The minnows, in the bait bags, serve to bait the trotlines. Your first few fish get cut up and used as bait for both the trotlines and the net-traps. Once you've got the seine and one net trap, you'll be catching several lbs of fish per day and you should EASILY have that much netting in 3 days.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Been Fishing all my life and never heard of vomit for bait. Why don't you answer John in AR instead of posting this crap?

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Melvin, the show is for entertainment only! They are only joking when they call it "reality TV".

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
And they've all taken 4-6 items that are inferior-pointless. If you can't make a debri/tarp shelter warm enough to need no warming fire, and can't start a fire in one of the 5 easy ways available without a ferrorod, you definitely don't belong on the show. The bow will be of zero value to over half of them. and of real value to no more than 1-2 of them The rations are pointless if you know anything. Anyone can manage 5 days of serious effort without any food, if they know to be in ketosis 3 weeks before they launch, gorge themselves on proteins and fat for 2 days before they launch . If you can't make the 48 hooks and set up camp in the first full day, then set out the hooks and make some netting the next day, you're a lop. By the end of the 4th day, you should have plenty of netting and the trotlines, so you'll have caught 5-10 lbs of fish in that time, maybe lot more than that. So why would rations be of any concern? You wont need the pontoon outrigger raft for the first bit of fishing, cause the water wont be all that cold as of yet. Wading with the seine (and the many stakes that hold it) is considerably more easily done than paddling the raft with the seine. When you're naked and have a fire, hot rocks, the debris stuffed 5x10 tarp/blanket, coals and charcoal buried in the ashes, dry clothing, you can emerge from the water, dry out and warm up every 10 minutes if need be. It takes a full day to make the pontoon outrigger raft, so I'd wait with that until I got some food-energy from previous catches.

As soon as you launch, puke up the meal of fish and meat you just ate. onto a layer of grass. go dig some J channels and while waiting on them to catch minnows, look for worms, bugs, grubs, etc. If none of this suffices to give you bait, then you'll have to put some of your puke in tarp/tape baitbags and tie them to stakes in 6" of water. Tear a 1 ft wide strip off of the 12x12 tarp, poke some holes in it, tie some stakes to it and use it to semi-circle the minnows that will be around the bait bags. The minnows, in the bait bags, serve to bait the trotlines. Your first few fish get cut up and used as bait for both the trotlines and the net-traps. Once you've got the seine and one net trap, you'll be catching several lbs of fish per day and you should EASILY have that much netting in 3 days.
the problem here, is that you’ve never tried to do any of these things in real field conditions, nor have you lived in any of your gear for any kind of realistic amount of time.

go spend a week living with your gear this way, under those conditions, and then get back to us with the results. Your few hour tests do not show any of the things you think.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Being in a trash contraption for +/-4hrs after being well fed and rested in a climate controlled environment (meaning a house.)

Is not like living, walking climbing nor running and only eating cold food out in the open.

Next run the same shelter test after eating nothing but cold snacks like GORP(Melvin test please don't give it away) for 3days . 2hrs of cardio followed by a cold shower. Get dressed without toweling dry. Then get into your Hefty Hilton and see how well you fare.

Yes I'm being a bit generous with those standards but it might be a test he's willing to take. But again......🙄

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
He probably thinks I’m picking on him, or insulting him, or being closed minded. The truth is, he hasn’t tried his ideas in any realistic manner. He’s thought about it, but has no frame of reference to base his thoughts on. He needs to invest the time to really use his gear. Then and only then will he know what actually does or doesn’t work in practice.

he may find he is 100% correct, can post the pictures and tell us all to go to hell. Or, he may find is is 100% wrong, or find out he is somewhere in between…

of course, given his track record, he might just claim to have done it, and refuse to provide any proof….

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Oh I've seen him take offense and overreact to simple innocent questions by others.
Stuff like that is why some of us have a short tolerance for his horse pucky.
In general I'll even say the relative of the victim of one of his tirades almost went to Pagosa Springs to give him a wall to wall counseling session.
In a way I'd have liked to see that but in another I'm glad it didn't happen. A younger guy don't need a felony assault charge or conviction record. No matter how much the loser(Melvin) needed a knuckle sandwich over it.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Been Fishing all my life and never heard of vomit for bait. Why don't you answer John in AR instead of posting this crap?
I dunno know about puke but I've used catfish bait that was about as flagrant a fragrance.🤢

1 - 10 of 10 Posts