Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

What was james Bond's favorite first handgun?

• Bersa semi auto in .22LR

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Walther semi auto in .22LR

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Ortgies semi auto in .25

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Beretta semi auto in .25

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • Bersa semi auto in .32

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Walther semi auto in .380

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • Beretta semi auto in .380

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Walther semi auto in 9mm

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Webley & Scott revolver in .38 S&W

• Colt revolver in .38 Special

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

· Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I don't know exactly why, but in the last 2 days I learned more about James Bond than I would care to know, LOL.

· Banned
9,121 Posts
Helm favored a .22 Woodsman, a fine choice, really

and Hamiliton made gun goofs, too, but perhaps knowingly,like claiming a DA revolver would fire,with hammer held back by thumb, if somebody hit him, or that a .38 snub would blow off your hand, if you fired it with a bullet stuck in the barrel.

Don also wrote a Western and a couple of other books, the best of which was:"Line of Fire", about a gunsmith who got denutted by a wild hog, ferchrissakes. Bolt action for you. :) Actually, I dont recall what the character was supposed to have used for the hog attack thing.

· Registered
10,278 Posts
John Davis, I congratulate you. You know about Matt Helm. He had an early pencil barreled Colt Woodsman that he lost in Death of a Citizen. His new issue gun when he rejoined the agency was a "soulless" 38 special S&W snubby with the hammer shroud that he hated.

Oh, I think I have the book about the gunsmith. I'll look it up for you.

RIKA

· Registered
41 Posts
Interesting about Matt Helm. Sure love Dino in those old movies. What a riot! Fleming's Bond carried a Beretta model 1919 for about half of the series. In Dr. No he gets reissued a Walther PPK in .32, because the Beretta "jammed". It jammed in his trousers as he was attempting to draw it. It did not jam in the way we typically think of (stovepipe, etc.).

· Registered
880 Posts
Okay here's one, what spy did James Coburn play.

· Registered
228 Posts
The Beretta, with supprssor mounted, hung up as Bond attempted to draw it from his waistband. He was offered the Walther PPK in 7.65mm &/or the Smith & Wesson Centennial Airweight [m42] .38 Special as acceptable replacements.

In later books, by Gardner, Bond also carried the M1919 Browning in 9mm Browning Long, the H&K VP70m, the H&K P7 and the ASP 9mm [based on the S&W M39].

Bond did carry an old .45 Colt in his car in the early novels, after Gardner took over, that was updated to a Ruger Super Blackhawk and then to a Redhawk, both in .44 Magnum, of course.

· Registered
228 Posts
Here's a pic of the Beretta .25 that Bond carried in his infamous "chamious leather" shoulder holster.

Anyone remember the litany of 'mods' that Bond carried out on this gun?

Attachments

· Registered
4,128 Posts
ABCF said:
Here's a pic of the Beretta .25 that Bond carried in his infamous "chamious leather" shoulder holster.

Anyone remember the litany of 'mods' that Bond carried out on this gun?

Didn't he remove one or both grips and wrap some type of tape around the frame?

· Registered
228 Posts
Wylycoyte said:
I'm almost sure that the revolver was in the glove compartment in the Gardner books. There was a set of NVDs in there as well.
Tsk, tsk...far to common for Bond.:D

His Saab Turbo had been reworked by CCS, Ltd [ a company which is, sadly, no longer in existance]. there were separate concealed compartments for the NVGs and the .44.

CCS, Ltd = Communication Control Systems, Ltd....they were responsible for the 'Super Car' program [althoguh Gardner never identiifed Bond's vehicle as having the 'super car' package, that's what it, in effect, was...replete with CS dispersing jets to envelope the vehicle to deal with unruly miscreants.]

· Registered
3,469 Posts
iircc, didn't he, obtain/conceal/POUND/ STASH/STUFF UP HIS ASS, A THERMONUCLEAR,,,,,WAR-HEAD!!! :rolleyes:

· Registered
175 Posts
yep, his Beretta's silencer got snagged in the holster in From Russia With Love, letting Rosa Kleb almost kill him with her telephone-gun. then she got him with her poisoned knife blade shoe-tip. For Dr No, he commented that the PPK 32 was ineffective against some sort of armored vehicle, I forget the description. The older Bond books had him keeping a .45 New Service in the vehicle, in at least on instance. I don't recall the .38, except in one practice-training scene, on the indoor range, under supervision of "q", i think it was.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts