Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many rds thru your AR? how many thru the .22 unit? any problems? Ciener claims to have "re-done" his .22 unit and improved it greatly?

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Only two, and it's been years ago now. I still sometimes take other people out hunting (mostly my sons' friends and their fiancees & such), but I haven't personally taken a deer in probably 5-6 years. Frankly, while I do a lot of shooting nowadays - as recently as today - I don't hunt much anymore.

For those two, I used the winchester PowerPointPlus load that's been discontinued since. It was a 64-grain moly-coated spire SP with a cannelure, and it ran almost as fast as 55-grain M193 stuff.

Winchester actually marketed it as a deer load:

and it worked great, at least on our admittedly small- to medium-size deer down here. Both completely thru-&-thru'ed the animals, doing an impressive amount of damage on the way.

Massive shame it isn't made anymore, it was a great load. When I found out it was being discontinued, I stocked up some and have probably 300-400 or so left now. It's still my primary go-to load for defensive purposes.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
On the .22 unit, only things I've taken with it are birds & squirrel. No problems with it as long as I use ammo it likes. Most of the time that's the Remington 36-grain subsonic load; don't know why, but that load does pretty good in the fast (for .22LR) rifling twists of the CAR's.

The subsonic rimfire out of the 5.56-rated suppressor is just Hollywood-quiet; I mean quieter than a bb gun kind of quiet. I still remember the first animal I took with it, with the suppressor in place. It was a pigeon at 53 paces, so probably 50-55 yards; and it sounded like a water balloon popping when the bullet hit the bird.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, that always struck me as neat, that impact sound. :) guys who have not hunted with a suppressed rifle just have no CLUE how much more efficient it is (vs a shotgun). Instead of scaring everything into hiding for an hour, I get the days meat secured in an hour. They get (maybe) 2 squirrels or rabbits in 2 hours, , I get 4-5 and I dont scare off the deer that's 100 yds away, either.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just don;t do factory ammo in anything but .22lr. I found the 36 gr federal hp .22lr to do just fine in 1 in 9" rifling, but that was before all this stupidity over .22 ammo, and this demand has probably knocked quality control of such ammo on its butt.

but, you KNOW 223 sp's dont offer adequate penetration, John. Just ask Garand all about that. He'll explain the facts to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts