Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sergeant in the First Cavalry Division, RVN 1969-1970. Bronze star, Purple Heart. 23 years Federal Law Enforcement Officer. Eighteen years Federal Certified Firearms Instructor. Two kids put through college. What are your accomplishments?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Founder -- "Cans for Tiny Hands"
Author -- Hand to hand Combat with sub caliber Weaponry"
Band member -- "Little Feet"
SatCong

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Internet troll for how many years? Now that as to be an accomplishment.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
33 year old computer geek here.

14 years of martial arts, lots of time in the gym, almost no real "combat" experience to speak of.

Oh, and I love to cook.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Wylycoyte said:
33 year old computer geek here.

<snip>

Oh, and I love to cook.
Practice your culinary arts -- You'll make the TARD a good wife some day!

I hate it when the devil makes me say those things. :dgrin:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Middle aged fat guy here. I are a college graduate with a degree in education. I taught a year then tried law enforcement for a short time. Darn near starved to death on a cop's wages so I went back into education. OK, so I don't always make good decisions.

I am no longer a real student of self defense and tactics (as I was when in law enforcement), but I love to shoot in competiton. I started with indoor gallery rifle at the age of 12 and I have been shooting off and on ever since. I have played in IPSC, IDPA, Bullseye, NRA Action Pistol, IMHSSA, and the defunct National Shooter's League. I also assist with law enforcement handgun training for a couple of agencies because of my experience in teaching, previous law enforcement experience, and the ability to demonstrate handgun proficiency on demand. Cops are funny that way. If you can't perform on demand, you have no credibility.

I have also served my community in the emergency services for over 20 years in EMS and the volunteer fire service. I am proud of two citations received from the Fremont County Sherrif's Office for life saving actions. OK, it ain't a bronze star, but it beats the hell out of a felony record, lol.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Me? Self employed computer custom programmer/consultant who loves hunting, fishing, guns and the shooting sports and dogs.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Auld Phart.
Degreed engineer.
Journeyman tool & die maker.
Has severe addiction to books.
Likes zombie movies and developing tactics against them should the dead ever really rise up and try to eat the world.
Into Aikkido and powerlifting (there's a combination. . .) although I cut the powerlifting down to general weightlifting.
Enjoy camping, women, hiking, women, shooting, women, hauling around the woods with Psycho Dog, offroading, and seeing how many girls I can stuff into a two person sleeping bag with me (this is a project currently in progress, so I have no definitive numbers yet).

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Sr Software Engineer - (mostly JAVA, though I do work in other languages)
FD volunteer
Avid hunter
3 yrs of Judo
2 yrs Ving Tsung
1 yr Kung Fu (mixture of Northern and Southern)
8 yrs of Kun Tao Silat

:devil:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Background. M, 31yrs. Son of USMC Col, lived on USMC bases for the first 15 years of my life. Shot my first 1911 at age 11 or 12. Eventually rebelled, went to SDSU, got involved deep in the nightlife, helped throw and promote underground parties early 1990s before they were called "raves," dropped out, met my future wife. Broke up, dropped out, regrouped. Got back together with my wife, moved out AZ, went to ASU, graduated with honors in bio, emphasis on ecosystem ecology. Worked in a couple labs, decided that wasn't for me.

Now - Work for the State of Arizona - Risk Management providing oversight for hazardous waste remediation... i.e. call consultants out, review their plans, make sure the waste (from DDTs DDEs, PCBs, arsenic, lead, petroleum contaminated soils, toxaphene, you name it) gets remediated to the applicable standards, disposed of in the proper manner, etc. Pay the bills, review the reports. Handle some Haz Waste Emergency Responses for DOT and State Land mostly, get parties responsible for contaminating to pay up, etc.

Took shotokan as a kid, hated the katas. Became interested mid-80s in Aikido, took that for a couple years. Leaned some boxing from mother's former boyfriend, Marine Recon SSgt former uncrowned golden gloves champ in Chicago. Took Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for a while w/ Pan Am brown belt champ Marcelo Periera. Now I'm in west Phoenix, no schools, so I bang on my 100lb heavy bag learning Thai strikes, grapple with buds, mess around with stickfighting, some knifework. Really into mixed martial arts, want to compete when I get back into "fighting" shape. :)

Became reinterested in shooting about 6 years ago. Have learned some interesting stuff, lots of good stuff, but haven't competed yet, nor trained seriously until I finally settle down on a platform.

some other hobbies: knifemaking (when I ever finish one), cryptology, drawing graffiti (not painting), acoustic tribal music (djembe, digeridoo, etc.), bamboo flute, painting with acrylics and sumi-e, caving small wood tikis, misc. stuff with friends, "zen" ;)

Seriously considering going back to ASU for a PhD in psychology and will probably become a school psychologist/counselor for high school aged kids...

We have a new puppy in our life and a baby on the way sometime in May...

needless to say, a FULL plate :D

cheers

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
depends upon what the felony record is FOR. What's heroism in combat, is often a felony in "normal life".
Are you claiming that you received your felony record in combat of some kind? Sick, twisted thinking there gunkid. What happens in "normal life" and what happens in combat are two entirely different things.

(disgusted icon)

RIKA

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Stillwater said:
Practice your culinary arts -- You'll make the TARD a good wife some day!

I hate it when the devil makes me say those things. :dgrin:
Was there a point to this?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
depends upon what the felony record is FOR. What's heroism in combat, is often a felony in "normal life".
that would be true, except for, umm, you know, the whole WAR thing.

If you don't understand the distinction, then you probably don't have a lot of humanity left in you.

To try and rationalize it that way is, well just silly. I think deep down you realize it too.

For a supposedly smart guy (self proclaimed) you post a lot of very dumb things...

:devil:

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
Joined the Canadian Army at age 17 in 1973. Spent 1973 until 1980 as a member of 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia's Light Infantry. Trained in places from California to Alaska, from British Columbia To the Middle East (twice). Infantry qualifications as Driver wheeled, Driver Tracked, Machine Gunner, Combat signaller,Anti Tank, Mortarman. Remustered to Ammunition Technician with specialties in EOD and Chemical munitions. I spent 4 years on an EOD team and a further 2 years on a Chemical EOD Team disposing of Canada's stock of Mustard & Nerve Agent. Was seconded to British Army Training Unit Suffield in Canada for 4 years, supplying 450 tonnes of munitions to each of 6 battlegroups a year. Finished my military career after 28 years in uniform as a Troop Warrant of a Combat Service Support (CSS) Troop in a Squadron of an Armoured Regiment.

I have 2 beautiful daughters, the oldest gave birth to my 1st grand-daughter in December of 2002. Currently I'm employed as a Explosive/Chemical Technician at a Defence Research facility. Gawd, life is great. I generally spend 5 days a week blowing stuff up! A scientist comes up with a concept, we build it and the detonate it. They extract the data. As well we train First Responders from around North America.

As for shooting, I bought my first rifle in 1975 and started shooting competition in 1986. I jumped in with both feet, in '86-90 I was competing in IPSC, Service Rifle, Service Sniper, and any 3 gun match I could find! I was the Chief Instructor/Coach/Shooter on the Armoured Reg'ts Shooting team. As a result of a posting in late 1990, I quit long distance travelling for Service condition matches in '92 and kept on with IPSC. Becoming disgruntled with the growing "attitude" in IPSC in '96, I was asked to come out and help RO a Cowboy Action Match. I was hooked. These days, I shoot Action pistol, 2 gun matches, 3 gun matches and cowboy Action.

I like camping and love white water rafting. My daughters and I have done 5 rivers and when I was on a blasting course in Las Vegas last year, I did a 1 day trip on the Colorado. I'm now trying to get my boss to send me on another course in Reno next year, the course ends the day the Reno Air Races start. :)

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
In my 40's (as specific as I'm going to get). Married for 18 1/2 years, two sons; 13 and 9, both in the Advanced/Gifted-&-Talented programs in their school.

Have a degree in computer information systems, did the cop thing for a while but money was non-existent. Am now a project engineer for a local fire alarm company, design fire alarm systems for commercial, industrial, and govt facilities. Am still on the books as "part time" with the sheriff dept, but don't work it much anymore; not much time.

Wife is a microbiologist, who's been doing it since before I met her (which is why I could afford to do the 'cop thing' for a while)

I bet I can make everyone remember my birthday. Won't give out the year, but it's March 16th. So that makes me......

Yep; "John 3-16" :poke:

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
John, you have the same birth date as my oldest daughter, easy to remember. Plus I forgot to mention my youngest daughter just graduated college with an honors degree in Business Administration. :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
32 yr old, 15 yrs in military (first 4 Army, last 11 ANG full timer). Interest in hunting, fishing and shooting (duh, who here isn't interested in that). Enjoy the info available on this board, even if most of the posters make me feel dumber than dirt, at least I can steal info and look smart around friends.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am impressed. Maybe Rich Z should read this thread. It might further his understanding of the moral and ethical outrage...oh never mind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts