Arms Locker banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a chain store of any kind that still sells it???

I need some to use as a release agent for some glass bedding work and can't find the stuff anywhere I've looked so far.

All the other junk has too many additives that may cause trouble.

I've heard of some people using clear shoe polish/wax though I'm not sure if it would work, would have to test it first.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
WallyWorld or Target doesnt carry it Ed?? I know it's not as popular anymore with the spray polishes but i was able to pick up a can a few years back at, IIRC K-Mart.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I've seen it at Kroger in cleaning supplies section.

Wouldn't auto paste wax work just as well?

RIKA

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen it at Kroger in cleaning supplies section.

Wouldn't auto paste wax work just as well?

RIKA
Rika- I wondered about auto wax but all the stuff I've sen around here seems to have other stuff added to it for modern clear coat finishes.

I'm worried they might react in a funky manor with the bedding compound.

I did luck out and manage to bum a little bit from the machinist here at work.:)

Probably more than what I need for my next 2-3 bedding projects.

Thank you both for the leeds on where to look, I know we have a Target store not sure about Kroger's but I can check. As I'd still like to get a can of it of my own.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think our wal-mart still has it. How can I get it to you?

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Seems to me I have seen tins of pure carnauba wax recently. Would that work for you? I may even have some laying around here somewhere that I don't use any longer if you need some and can't find it. I've gone to high tech finishes and polishes on my cars lately.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys I appreciate the offers to send some but with what I got given to me right now it will last me quit awhile.:)

I also found out I can order it from some custodial/industrial supply places.

Just odd that a bunch of places no longer sell it. I bet it is all the different hi-tech finishes it has to compete with.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Could be that almost nobody has real wood floors any more too.

RIKA

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would look at Lowe's or Home Depot as potential sources in the future, after all they sell hardwood floors and the products to care for them...

·
Banned
917 Posts
Johnson's is a large company. Go on the webnet and ask them. I'll bet you can find five sources within five minutes.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
ok biged did the wax work or did cause you a few issues?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
neo- The stuff worked fine. In fact it works better tha the regular release agent the come with most bedding kits, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Our old armorer use to rub all of our 870's down with Johnsons (VERY light coat of course) before they went into the armory after we qualified every year..for at the time 30 year-old shotguns they all looked New...wish we'd kept them instead of getting Mossturds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
release agent

You can use Fiebing's Silicon Shoe Kote; I've used it to bed everything from M1A's to my Dad's 1917 6.5 Carcano. (Don't knock the Carcano, sub-minute groups at 100yds!) It works great...gets into every nook and cranny and mineral spirits cleans it easily. Not expensive and a little goes a looooong way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts