Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not quite warm enough to sleep, no wraps, around my body, just the damp leaves between the liners and the reflectorized tyvek bivy. I had a medium coat to simulate the armor. VERY important, I had a T shirt stuffed into the small of my back. When getting into sleeping bags or bivvies from one end, like putting on a sock, your shirt or coat always gets pulled-up, exposing your kidneys ! :) I had shoes, just one pair of cotton socks. no gloves. I had no gloves, so I just held my hands in my armpits.

I did not have adequate leaves to fully stuff around my torso. You can't fill the liners and then get into the assembly, You either cant get into the ensemble or all of the leaves will be on the gravity side of the assembly. I used 2 of the drum liners full of leaves, but they were not really compacted. I'll add another such linerfull of leaves and try again tomorrow morning.

My feet did not get cold as they did with just the wraps of leaver and liners around my body. I think that by getting into the existing (inadequate) assembly, and then adding the extra leaves afterward, it'll be ok at 20F. Getting all of the way into the bivy is a PITA, and getting it zipped is a real chore. Getting the drum liner's mouth folded over and taped is a much worse PITA. too.

As it was, the asse,b;u would definitely let you sleep at 30F, which is a gain of 10F, over the 40F sleeping possible with just the liners and the bivy. This was on a couch in my patio. Wind was 25mph, but the house blocked all but about 5 mph of it. 57 humidity.

It's definitely a big risk of tearing the tyvek bivy by wearing your shoes. So it's by far preferable to cut off a chunk of one of the 55 gallon drum liners and use it to make "booties' for your feet and stuff debris between the plastic booties and your feet.

With the wraps of liners and leaves actually around my body, feet and arms, the armor, and laying on the debris-stuffed daypack and buttpack, I'm fairly certain that I can sleep at 0F and dead rock certain that I can survive a night at such temps, in such gear, and sleep well at 10F,, with no external heat source.

With hot rocks in the foot-box of the bivy, clear PEVA curtain over the open end of the bivy, and a Siberian fire lay's one-way projected heat "aimed" at the PEVA from a safe 3 ft away, this set-up is going to handle -20F, but I''ll have to drive up to Chicago to prove it. Wife is in asia for a while, so I might get that done.

ReplyForward

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
Chicago? Really?
What is the bivy bag Kevlar lined to?

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
...just the damp leaves between the liners and the reflectorized bivy.
I'd be real careful of damp/wet stuffing. Dry leaves can be an insulator (as long as you keep them dry), but a mash of wet leaves becomes a conductor rather than an insulator; which is the opposite of what you want.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
So Melvin, what is wrong with buying a real sleeping bag that will be more durable than your bin liner contraption? When travelling the sleeping bag and bivy bag will take up far less room and make far less noise if you end up in a hostile environment. As for boots, I picked up a pair of "Baniffs" 10 years ago, rated to -100C. Excellent purchase for $165.00 then, and the boots show no sign of giving up the ghost soon.

This is the only reason you choose quality kit, because the weather is not predictable

Millions in Texas left powerless and without water after winter storms l GMA - YouTube

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
why Chicago? there's plenty of places with cold weather.
You have to give him credit for creativity.
As in addition to the cold weather that's probably the closest environment to an actual post-apocaylptic SHTF scenario you could have.
Pick the right spot and it's already a war zone.

And yeah my family is from there. A great place to be from.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
Maybe "wifey # whatever" took all the guns? Gotta resupply somewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: BigEd
1 - 11 of 11 Posts