Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no shoes, coat, hat, sleep system not complete, and it was ok. Not toasty, but you could get 5-6 hours of rest with a 10m timed release ambien, without a doubt, at 35F, with your shooes left on once it's all sealed up. I currently dont have the space blanket or tyvek long enough to cover my head/neck. Once I have the wife add some and velro it all, 35 f will be fine

When I add the skimask, gloves, hoodie, knit longjohns, wool long johns (loops and buttons on longjohns and hoodie to keep your kidneys from being exposed) shemaugh, bandanna, bug net and plastic sheeting (used as front for a supershelter at colder temps) it's gonna doubtless be just fine at 20f, in a hammock, in the snow, or freezing rain., and 20mph winds. With dry debris between all the layers, it'll go down to 10f in the hammock, for sure, and same wlll be true on the ground if you can stuff the plastic sheeting-bag with debris.

It'll be good to 20f on the ground, given the debris between layers, with the shemaugh, gillnet, hammock and hoodie and bugnet bag under me, bandanna around my neck instead of the shemaugh. That's good enough. It's excellent, really for less than 7 lbs of "extra" clothing (as vs summer wear) and sleep-shelter gear. It will all roll up and serve as a frame for the day pack, too. And almost all of it is useful in the summer time, as well. The knit longjohns can become a pillow. So only the set of woolen longjohns and the plastic sheeting/bag are not really useful, and i can just stuff one in the other and bury it for the summer.

The pack has to have room in it for the gun stuff. A woman's "flashbang" bra holster works well inside of the sleeping bag, worn outside of the clothing, positioned on the chest. It takes a couple of minutes to lay out the sleep gear and get into all of it, but the velcro lets you get out of it in a flash, and that's what matters, really. Almost all of it can be worn as clothing, if need be, in the rain.; Almost all of it can be converted into a rain/bug barrier/raincatch/sunshade in warm weather.

The full body bug netting/bag (velcro seams of course) can give you complete relief from bugs if you stop, and very good relief if you wear it over your upper body as you move around.. Skeeters, flies and no-see-ums dont bother your legs much at all if you have pants and are moving. Naturally, the cammies should get sprayed with pemethrin and you should have DEET available, enough for several week's worth, at least.

All this building of natural shelters, raised beds, building fires, hauling (and often cutting) firewood, is a huge waste of time and calories, and very high risk if hostiles are about. With this portable shelter serving you while you do further preps, , a heavy winter shelter can be arranged. If you're not in an area with heavy rains/high water table, the thing to do for the winter is get below ground, cover the hole with the tyvek, cover the tyvek with brush, with lots of debris inside to insulate you from the cold ground.

If some of your stored food is Crisco, each cans of it may be turned into a candle, with which to heat up rocks, which will then radiate enough heat to make a big difference in the dugout's temps. But you have to do so out where it's well vented, or you can't be sleeping, due to the CO hazard. This sends up a lot less smoke than burning woo (especially wet wood). At night, of course, a Dakota pit could be used to heat rocks, given mylar and brush over it, to keep in the light.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Be careful of ski mask material choice if you're going to be breathing thru it, as some fabrics will hold exhaled moisture against your face.

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Melvin, what does wifey think about all this?

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Why not just buy cold weather gear? I would be careful of taking sleeping aids in untested equipment in freezing temperatures. You could wake up dead.

Reactions: Garand
1 - 5 of 5 Posts