Arms Locker banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
As far as kicks go (getting back to topic) There's probably zero reason to ever kick someone higher than their knees in combat - for the reasons mentioned about opening yourself up. (doesn't mean you won't or that you never should, but typically there just isn't any real justification to do so.)

Break a knee or an ankle and you've taken the hand to hand fight out of your opponent.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
There is an old Kung Fu saying that goes "A veteran smiles at a closed fist and laughs at a high kick."

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
You guys are right;I've almost NEVER used kicks higher than the diaphragm in scuffles.That said ,ther IS value to incorporating some of theminto your workout.There is muscle memory,and ther eis also the ability you get to biomechanically see an opponents shifts in stance,muscular tension,center of gravity etc.that cantelegraph what you might otherwise miss.Or at leaest that has been my experience;both some jumpers and some high kickers have "signale "to me when their signature moves were comming(like a knee bending down&forward to signal an iminent punch).Think of it as my version of wingshooting:slip by&hit'em in the air.Or slip in /around and hurt/destroy the inturding leg.Slamming elbows(or even solid punches)into toes&other breakables on th efeet(like insteps)does much to discourage that behvioral trait(somone trying to kick you like they saw on Shaolin Soccer).And its cool to see the look on their face when you've canceled out their highly refined,beutiful move with something as crude as a hook into their foot.Or an elbow into the [email protected]

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I used to spar with a TKD practitioner. Every time he'd try to set up for a spinning kick, I'd simply step into him, with with a double fist, or step female through his stance and put him on his ass. Took about a week of solid sparring before he abandoned the spinning kick stuff completely.

A couple others to toally piss off a high kicker (both require speed and timing):

method one:
Step to the side (inside or outside) of the kick - females or pivots into three stances work quite well and kick the underside of thier kicking leg up with yours. Nasty, effective, and embarassing to them.

method two:
Step to the side, transition to a low horse and scoot under their kick. Tiger the underside of the hamstring and then palm strike them in the balls. Even if the tiger to the hamstring doesn't do any real damage, it's a wake up call. The palm strike will do one of two things - completely take the wind out of their sails, or put them on their ass. (as anyone knows, a strike to the groin may or may not connect and cause damage. It will, however get their complete attention.)

There's others, like an elbow straight down into the thigh as they kick high. (I like this against side kicks.)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Aslan;
I've used the elbow(back or down)into thugh muscle to get over on grappler types.You're right-its VERY effective.Sort of like railroad spiking the leg.Not as obvious as taking out the knee,but thats some PAIN....talk about your behavior modification.OWWWW!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Thigh is a very large muscle with a lot of blood in it. Easier to damage than many people think. (Ever see a pro football player removed from a field because of a bruised thigh? - ever wonder why they wear thigh pads?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
i might be one of the few people who likes knives, but am fine without them too. As it was stated in the beginning of this thread people tend to train themselves or have the misconception of aiming a knife at the center mass, i just go for whatever they would give me. The come at me with a knife, there are knuckles, they come at me with a food, there are tendons, they come at me with a brick, there is dodging.
To me, knives are only good when someone is being attacked by a careless aggressor. The iraqi's learned real quick that when U.S. forces try to stop a soldier attacking with alateral strike and a knife the U.S. soldiers were trained to x-bloxk or just put their arm up to stop. So, the Iraqi's would release the knife and have it sink into the U.S. soldier's shoulder, heart, etc..
I have found most people that use a knife feel safe because they have a knife and unsafe because they don't have a knife. It takes alot of training to overcome that, realize you're just as vonrable with a knife, and adjust yourself to be comfortable with or without. that was, fear does not control the mindset that you have established. Remove the FIGHT OR FLIGHT! People focus on the knife, or on the survival, not the attacker who is weak in soooooo many places because they get cocky with a knife.
Just my thoughts.
As for kicks, i like to roll with a kick. Systemic style. Hit them in their hip to cause intense pain and make them turn. As for kicking while on the ground, i never go above the knee, except occasionally to get some twist in their body to get to the back of their knee or ankle.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Funny that you should mention the pelvis as a target...At clinch range that is one of the shots I like to make.And I thought I was the only one to stumble across that particular one:cool:
I know very little about Russian combatives beyond what a couple of emigre friends (Russian vets)told me RE ***** .Any school contacts??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Funny that you should mention the pelvis as a target...At clinch range that is one of the shots I like to make.And I thought I was the only one to stumble across that particular one:cool:
I know very little about Russian combatives beyond what a couple of emigre friends (Russian vets)told me RE ***** .Any school contacts??
It's an easy move that most people don't think others will make. Russian combatives is interesting. It's tough to find anything online about it, because it's relatively new to the western world.
I stopped in Russia with the money the military gave me to sign on with (jipped compared to now) and saw some Systema in Ukraine. I did some research in Germany and figured i'd try it out. I went back to russia for a month and found Vlad Vasiliev (one of the founders and former Spetz who has a school in Canada) was teaching. I talked to him a little and he had me in a few training exercises. Awesome guy, and wicked crazy.
I didn't train from anyone else, except Vlad, but i did watch, because alot of the other guys put a huge religious twist on it (it was started thanks to the Russian orthodox). Since then, i've been training in it alot, back and forth to Russia for work. It's been nearly two or three years. I only know of one guy, personally, Alex Wilkie in Somerset/Bridgewater NJ. But he mixes systema with other arts in order to make it readily acceptable by the students. He has one student that teaches, as well.
Anyway, russianmartialart.com has a list of all the training centers. They usually don't focus on knife fighting, per say, but primarily on how to defend youself against them or attack someone with a knife. The idea is to be bettwe without a weapon than with one (and no, none of that dragon ball z :hot: non-physical pushing sh!t).
Look into it if you're interested, i've found it very useful and was very skeptical at first.
Knife work with them is my favorite, especially feeling the knife and then moving in order to evade it. Basically, we took knives (dull but still hurts), and slowly tried to stab people in the chest while they were blindfolded and their hands tied behind their backs. As the knife hits, on feeling alone, you know to move out of the way, evade, and redirect. After a week of doing that your reflexes and comfort with the technique is incredible. The next step, was jumping into ice cold water (in Russia!), then trying the same technique. You're muscles tense and tighten, therefore making you control your own body's relaxation in order to not get stabbed. Quite extraordinary, and brutal training, but it works!

61 - 69 of 69 Posts