Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess all of us think of making our own knife from time to time. I know I do. Well, I got a knife making kit for Christmas consisting of a stainless skinning blade, a couple of Dymondwood slabs for the handles, stainless handle fasteners, and a metal thing that fits between the blade and the handle. Have never done anything like that before and while it seems so simple its also kind of intimidating, at least for me. Don't want to mess it up. I'm going to give it my best try anyway and even if it looks like crap at least it will cut good.

Does anyone want to talk about their knife making experiences? I'll bet that you guys do beautiful work.

RIKA

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have often thought it would be interesting to build my own knives.

My Dad made this one from a CVA kit I believe. I would prefer a different blade material if I were to build my own though.

This is my first attempt at posting a resized pic from my daughters new digi cam.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your Dad did good Clint. I love that beaded scabbord. You're right about the blade; it looks like stainless. A regular steel blade or one made of damascus would be more in keeping with the spirit of the Bowie.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My wife's uncle moved in with us about two months ago, so I've had zero progress on making any knives (garage is FULL). BUT... one of my new year's resolutions is to finish a blade and I'm set on that.

Not sure what the metal thing you're talking about is... the guard?

You can always change that out and the scales to make it exactly how you want it. http://texasknife.com has a good amount of supplies at decent prices. I always wanted to get one of those kits, but I just decided to dive right in with the grinding. Congrats!

Cheers

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Erik. Yes I was talking about the guard; my mind just slipped a cog. I checked out Texas Knifemakers and they have a great site. Take a look over at Teuf's place for by review of Wayne Goddard's book.

RIKA

·
Registered
296 Posts
have made knife blades from old files and rasps.
when properly retempered they hold an edge like nothing you ever had.
but you CAN NOT pry with them.
old leaf springs make ok knifes that you CAN pry with but don't hold an edge as well.
never tried a knife kit....would be interesting in damascus. wondering if i could follow the directions lol.
sean

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
If you can't pry with it, your retempering job is not fully correct. Damascus is where it's at, offering superb cutting edge with impact resistance and a bit of "spring".

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
andy said:
If you can't pry with it, your retempering job is not fully correct. Damascus is where it's at, offering superb cutting edge with impact resistance and a bit of "spring".
To give you credit, your comment is partially correct. A properly zone hardened blade will bend 90 degrees without breaking. Still, only a tard would use his knife for prying or other misuses. Why? Because your blade might be one that is off in heat treating a little bit so why take the chance. I'm not into destroying my property unless its a life or death situation.

BTW there are new metal blends that are totally superb; fully as good as damascus.

RIKA

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, thank you for the link Torq. Great selection of neat stuff. I've added it to my favorites.

RIKA :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts